[Rumor/Info] Next-gen AMD GPU Discussion

Feb 19, 2009
http://vrworld.com/2015/11/19/14nm-amd-greenland-tapes-out-attack-on-nvidia-pascal-intel-xeon-phi/

A few interesting points:

1. Artic Island is NOT GCN2.0 as we previously thought. It's a new uarch, not an iteration of GCN like we've seen up to Tonga/Fiji.

2. Greenland (big chip) taped out on GF's 14nm ff process! AMD is "doubling down" on GF rather than splitting to TSMC.

Our sources repeatedly said that AMD learned a great deal in developing both HBM memory and GDDR5X (memory for more affordable graphics cards), and that their goal is to ‘knock the ball out of park’ when it comes to offering superior compute capabilities (AMD GPUs perform double-precision operations at half the clock, just like AMD and Intel x86 processors, unlike NVIDIA GPUs)

Looks like its going to be a heck of a battle in the DX12 era next year! I'm liking the signs so far from both Pascal & Artic Island, should be beastly GPU performance leaps for gamers to enjoy.

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
For me, all the stars look aligned for both AMD and NV at this point.

For AMD specifically, I am not worried about their upcoming GPUs in terms of performance. What I am worried about is the twin devil that has tormented them in the last two major GPU release cycles; namely supply and reference design.

I'd prefer AMD to wait a little bit and not fall for the bait of rushing as fast as possible and get the supply in order(without waiting too long of course). Take that extra time and get really good reference designs across the board. Not just heat/noise but also stuff like coil whine, QC issues in general.

We all know that getting an AMD GPU 3-4 months after launch is the best. You get the second revision and the (inevitable) major driver performance improvements. That needs to change. Most people shop on first impressions and if AMD should get more market share back, they need to be A1 from day 1.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
I'd always taken "GCN 2.0" to mean a new uarch incorporating technology from GCN...

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I'd always taken "GCN 2.0" to mean a new uarch incorporating technology from GCN...

I agree with this. GCN was already nextgen. AMD just never had the API architecture to fully utilize their hardware. Now that the APIs are in step with their hardware design, whatever the next uarch is called, I very much doubt it's going to look drastically different on a high level from current GCN. New features, yes. Tweaked functional blocks, yes. New technology, yes. I think you will know it's an AMD design just by looking at it though.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Well, what ever they do I hope it doesn't take the industry 3 years to catch up to it this time. All the while we've got the propagandists talking about how old and outdated it is because it doesn't have a new catchy marketing name.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
2. Greenland (big chip) taped out on GF's 14nm ff process! AMD is "doubling down" on GF rather than splitting to TSMC.

This makes no sense. GF is using sammy tech, yes, however, using them as your only source is going to hurt big time.
Yields are a HUGE issue with GF, and I don't see them getting any better in the short term, when zen & the new GPUs are supposed to be made at GF.

That translates to product delays, more expensive, and AMD's bottom line sinks further.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
AMD's GPUs are fine. 5000 series? Decent. 6000 series? Decent. 7000 series? Even more so. 200 series? Decent. 300 series? Decent, though a bit high on the power consumption.

Only problem, is that there has been no successor to the 7770-7850 class of GPUs. Not everyone has an endless wallet, nor an industrial PSU. An undervolted & underclocked Tonga would be perfect for that, due to it's relatively low power consumption, supposing that price point is valid.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Might be a case of AMD not being able to buy production from anyone else. Apple is likely buying up as much capacity as possible from TSMC and are making so many SoCs (which do have a rather large die size as far as mobile chips go) that they're getting supplied by Samsung as well.

Samwell

May 10, 2015
1. Artic Island is NOT GCN2.0 as we previously thought. It's a new uarch, not an iteration of GCN like we've seen up to Tonga/Fiji.

AMD is clearly stating it's GCN based. So maybe they change the name, like pascal will be mostly maxwell based. But GCN 2.0 would be probably also ok.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
AMD is clearly stating it's GCN based. So maybe they change the name, like pascal will be mostly maxwell based. But GCN 2.0 would be probably also ok.

Good point. It's possibly they'll just call it an all new GPU architecture since consumers love hearing something is new and revolutionary.

For AMD specifically, I am not worried about their upcoming GPUs in terms of performance.

I am. AMD used up a big advantage of HBM1 with its reduced memory controller and big benefit in reduced power usage. AMD also reduced DP capability on Fury X. Despite both of those moves, Fury X cannot overclock as well as the 980Ti and has inferior perf/watt. That means if AMD has an improved architecture + node shrink, NV has both of those + the move to HBM2. That to me gives a big advantage to NV. In other words either NV has to mess up with Pascal or AMD has to make up a massive gap in perf/watt to catch up.

What I am worried about is the twin devil that has tormented them in the last two major GPU release cycles; namely supply and reference design.

True, but you forgot 3 other key factors that matter as well imo:

- Price/performance
- Driver support with more AMD GE titles to combat GWs
- Overclocking - with Maxwell overclocking so well, it's not enough for AMD's cards to just match Pascal. If Pascal overclocks better in all price segments, most gamers will buy a card that's as fast at stock but overclocks better. Higher overclocking headroom also allows AIBs to be more aggressive with factory pre-overclocked SKUs; and we know how reviewers LOVE to put factory pre-overclocked NV cards against stock/reference AMD cards.

I'd prefer AMD to wait a little bit and not fall for the bait of rushing as fast as possible and get the supply in order(without waiting too long of course). Take that extra time and get really good reference designs across the board. Not just heat/noise but also stuff like coil whine, QC issues in general.

This one is tricky. AMD waited way too long to release 380X/390/390X and Fiji which gave NV a big window to capture so many consumers because AMD didn't even show up.

Early adopters have shown that they are willing to pay premiums for the latest products -- 7950/7970, GTX780, 750/750Ti, 960, etc.

Look at the Titan and Titan X. NV released 780Ghz and 980Ti very shortly after their releases and the after-market cards even had faster performance out of the box for $350 less. I think what hurt 7970 more was not $550 initial price but the loud reference blower. Had 7950/7970 showed up as an after-market pre-overclocked card from day 1, NV's 670/680 wouldn't have done much damage at all. AMD would have just lowered prices on 7950/7970 and still be ahead.

If AMD can execute the same HD7000 strategy but with proper coolers, that would be better than launching after nV. I think for next generation launching first is critical esp. for AMD. Think about it, imagine how a $550 Fury and $650 Fury X would have looked in March 2015 against the $999 Titan X and how those cards looked after their launch after the 980Ti showed up?

Launching first will create a big halo factor due to perf/watt (marketing) and latest features. Just look at 750/750Ti that had very mediocre price/performance at launch and yet sold tens of millions of units.

We all know that getting an AMD GPU 3-4 months after launch is the best. You get the second revision and the (inevitable) major driver performance improvements. That needs to change. Most people shop on first impressions and if AMD should get more market share back, they need to be A1 from day 1.

The driver improvements in the first 12 months happen for both though. It's not just an AMD thing. Also, what you are suggesting is more complicated than that.

Imagine if AMD delayed the launch of HD7850-7970 by 3-5 months. Would they have been better off? No, because it would have meant selling older HD6000 series all that time and worse getting slaughtered by March 2012 released 670/680 cards. Similarly, look at the launch of the 780. AMD was 5-6 months behind with 290/290X and NV maximized profits while taking market share without any effort since 780 had no competition.

Honestly, I think launching first, even if you are slightly slower is better. Launching 5-6 months behind for 5-10% more performance isn't a strategy that works for AMD. It works for NV since customers who buy NV will wait. :D

SimianR

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah, although I'm sure it's easier said than done, but I think the first to market with 16nm GPU's will certainly benefit from a large number of people who have been waiting for AMD & NVIDIA to move on from 28nm. I believe AMD said they plan on launching two GPU's next year - which to me sounds like if they only have two GPU's that it would be probably be later in the year, otherwise we would probably see more products throughout the year if they were launching earlier on. I'm guessing a flagship with a slightly cut down version, similar to the 290/290X, R9 Fury/FuryX.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
They already released Fury with no reference cooled version, and Fury X with all-out AIO cooling.

I can see them simply pushing out cards with no reference cooler whenever the time-to-market allows it.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Yeah, although I'm sure it's easier said than done, but I think the first to market with 16nm GPU's will certainly benefit from a large number of people who have been waiting for AMD & NVIDIA to move on from 28nm. I believe AMD said they plan on launching two GPU's next year - which to me sounds like if they only have two GPU's that it would be probably be later in the year, otherwise we would probably see more products throughout the year if they were launching earlier on. I'm guessing a flagship with a slightly cut down version, similar to the 290/290X, R9 Fury/FuryX.

Being first will certainly help. Gamers hate to wait.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
The very largest possible die GPU [Fiji size] will most likely not launch in 2016. I really don't see 600mm^2 GPUs next year, at least for the desktop.

The smallest traditional die will be replaced by APU products. They might have a lot of hope in zen APUs ability to capture marketshare.

This leaves a pitcain and a Tonga sized die leading to ~4 new products.

AMD has to prioritize R & D. They can't develop for all possible markets.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
For me, all the stars look aligned for both AMD and NV at this point.

For AMD specifically, I am not worried about their upcoming GPUs in terms of performance. What I am worried about is the twin devil that has tormented them in the last two major GPU release cycles; namely supply and reference design.

reference would not matter if 3rd party ones are release at the same time.

supply is what you need to worry about, what we all should be worry about.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
They already released Fury with no reference cooled version, and Fury X with all-out AIO cooling.

I can see them simply pushing out cards with no reference cooler whenever the time-to-market allows it.

I think their BEST bet is to not have a reference cooler for anything below their top SKUs.
As we saw with the XFX 390, if someone wants reference cooler/blower style GPUs, an AIB will provide it. No one is going to just miss out on revenue.
This allows AMD to push out chips quicker and AMD's launchday reviews will be their best AIB coolers rather than crappy blower coolers vs nvidia blower cooler products.

For the high end, I really do think AMD should continue developing those premium coolers for those day 1 reviews. Those day 1 reviews are crucial at the high end, however AMD also needs to actually get the cooler 100% RIGHT.
But at the same time, AIBs should also be able to do their own coolers, even on high end skus like Fury X. AMD needs to try to cater to every market, and rather than investing in that themselves, they can let the AIBs handle this by providing a wide range of coolers for ALL of their SKUs.

That's just on the cooling end, there are tons of things AMD needs to do that are cheap but quick wins if they want to remain competitive.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009