Rummy calls for regime change in NK.

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Getting rid of Kim Jung Il, yep that is a nutty idea.
Who will run the death camps on the Korean Peninsula then?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Wars costs lotso money and this one will be lotso lives. We have to whole middle east to do first. Or did you miss Rummys 74' memo?

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Carbonyl
Wars costs lotso money and this one will be lotso lives. We have to whole middle east to do first. Or did you miss Rummys 74' memo?
The paper does not call for military action against North Korea
What's the big deal? Regime change should be an appropriate goal for NK and the document supposedly calls for working with China to topple Kim Jong Il. Not likely to happen but what's wrong with wishful thinking? It's better than conceding to Pyonyang's attempts at blackmail.

edit: a little more to piss on your "Rumsfeld goading Bush into war with NK" campfire:
The Clinton administration drew up plans to bomb the main North Korean nuclear site at Yongbyon. But the generally far more hawkish Bush government has long contended that talk of military action against North Korea is unrealistic, given the country's huge conventional arsenals aimed at South Korea.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Hey Rummy maybe we should just nuke the world 10 times over, and then you could just run it the way that you see fit.

:|

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: tec699
Hey Rummy maybe we should just nuke the world 10 times over, and then you could just run it the way that you see fit.

Wow, I decide to give this board another shot.... now I remember why I stopped coming in here. Thx tec.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: AbsolutDealage
Originally posted by: tec699

Wow, I decide to give this board another shot.... now I remember why I stopped coming in here. Thx tec.

lol...

your welcome.

:cool:

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: drewshin
i was against the war in iraq, but i would all for a war to free north korea.
So you pick and choose your dictators?

I think the nature of dictators is that they were never picked or chosen.

Calling for Regime change is a whole lot different than doing something to make it happen. When the administration started talking about Iraq 24 hours a day, and then started moving troops around, that said something was going to happen. A "secret" memo from Rumsfield is worthless. I put secret in quotations because I don't memos from the guy in charge at the Pentagon to the President accidently fall into reporter's hands. Much more likely is that this is part of the ongoing battle between Rumsfield and Powell about who gets to tell Bush what to do.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: cioxx
US will lose any military confrontation with NK.

http://www.kimsoft.com/2003/nk-war-han.htm

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Number 1: welcome

Number 2: the http button allows you to do those blue links. dragging and dropping wastes my precious seconds. ;)

Number 3: The technology difference between now and back during the vietnam war isn't anywhere close. Looking at that war as evidence of how a current war would go down makes no sense. A lot of people would die in a war against North Korea, but the US winning would be inevitable. This is a more accurate description of what would happen.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
LilBlinbBlahIce calls for regime change in the United States of America. 2004 guys. We've been talking the talk, we'll have to walk the walk as well. Let's just hope this administration doesn't go off on any more dumbass adventures till then.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce
LilBlinbBlahIce calls for regime change in the United States of America. 2004 guys. We've been talking the talk, we'll have to walk the walk as well. Let's just hope this administration doesn't go off on any more dumbass adventures till then.

I think that's the first semi-intelligent leftist post I've seen! If you don't like it, vote in 2004. Till then, deal with it :)

Of course, he couldn't resist using inflammatory comments like "regime change", "dumbass", and "adventures".

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

I have this really bad feeling that when election time comes, we'll be actively involved in a war. That prospect scares me for many reasons.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: bigdog1218
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: drewshin
i was against the war in iraq, but i would all for a war to free north korea.
So you pick and choose your dictators?

Why not thats what the US does.

This is a good point. Its a tough one to swallow. No one can deny that the US does make its mistakes, usually based on certain interests, in supporting certain dictators. This is part of the reason why our opinion, globally, is in tatters.

I would say we have to be consistent (not an easy thing to do), but we also have have priorities. But just because we've supported a few bad ones doesn't mean we should support them all either.

If Bush can get the Israeli-Palestine conflict moving peacefully forward, than we'll be a lot better off...

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: cioxx
US will lose any military confrontation with NK.

http://www.kimsoft.com/2003/nk-war-han.htm

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Frankly, I have a hard time believing a paper that has numerous spelling errors and is severly dated in its analysis. Carriers bieng downed? NK air superiority? Come on, that's a little far fetched.

I can see the ground war bieng a significant problem, but US will surely dominate the air and the water. The paper even goes so far as to think that NK's T-72 tanks can win battles against M1A1's... I think that we kind of proved that wrong in the past couple of weeks. The bottom line is that NK's military will be very difficult to defeat, but there is no question who will come out victorious... nukes or no nukes.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
Far fetched or not:

When the US plane reached a point about 193 km from the coast of North Korea, two MiG-29 and two MiG-21 fighter planes showed up unexpectedly. The North Korean planes approached within 16 m and signaled the US plane to follow them. The US pilot refused to follow the command and left the scene posthaste. The US plane was tailed by the hostiles for about 22 min but let the US spy plane go. There are two key points to be observed here.

First, the hostile planes waited for the US plane at the Uhrang airbase, located about 200 km from the point of air encounter. They knew that the US plane was coming. The North Korean planes flew 200 km to intercept the US plane. Did the US plane see them coming? If it did, why no evasive action? After intercepting the US plane, the hostile planes dogged it for 22 min. Why no American planes for the rescue? The US crew must have informed the base of the danger they were in, but no action was taken by the base. If Kim Jong Il had given the command, the MiGs would have shot down the US plane and returned to their base before the US could have scrambled war planes.

This is fact, and an unexplainable one as well. Yet another situation that just wasn't read into.. I wonder what the pilots of the Cobra Ball were thinking for that 22 minutes when their protection could have been there in 2.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Donald Rumsfield is quickly taking John Ashcroft's place as the most morally frightening character in the Bush administration!

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: konichiwa
Donald Rumsfield is quickly taking John Ashcroft's place as the most morally frightening character in the Bush administration!

lol.I love D Rumsfeld.

who would you prefer for the position he holds?

As far as the US losing a war with NK..that is borderline laughable.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Without reading the article, if everything is as suggested in the first post - then I would agree that regime change - as an ambition/aim - is appropriate as regards the US towards NK.

However, whether it is appropriate to announce this publicly (it sounds like a threat) on the eve (I believe) of some new US/NK talks, I'm not so sure.

Secondly, if this really was a kind of warm up for a US/NK military confrontation (and I don't think it is) then I 100% would not support the sentiment. A possible nuclear confrontaion/definite bloody confrontation is one I would like to try harder to avoid.

Cheers,

Andy

EDIT: Just read that this was a "secret" paper that was "leaked". I don't know about you, but my cynic chip is overloading... everytime there's a leak in the UK with such precision timing its almost certainly deliberate.