Ruh roh. RIM CEO giving away rim jobs

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
To be fair, they should have done this years ago. It was pretty obvious even then the people in charge had no vision or any ability to move the company forward.

Seriously, they need some fresh blood in that company. When you drop like they have, I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Seriously, they need some fresh blood in that company. When you drop like they have, I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner.

I hope they can rebound sooner than later. There are few CEO's that have the uncanny ability to have intense focus as the late Jobs had. I remember when Steve Jobs came again on board after NeXT, he basically asked most of the board members to resign.
Granted this won't happen here with Lizard and the other former co-CEO around given that they have a huge number of shares.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

When the lack of vision runs all the way to the top, is it any surprise it took them this long?

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Looks like Jim Balsillie just resigned from the board. Lizard needs to go as well.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
RIM CEO giving away rim jobs

CEO giving away rim jobs

giving away rim jobs

LMAO.

On a serious note, this is to be expected. RIM's demise has been predicted for more than three years now and they've failed time and time again to make any compelling products or to give other manufacturers good competition. They've also gained the stereotype of being a boring company, which doesn't help their image.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
This is what happens when a company tries to live off their success at a standstill. How many times did RIM release the same phone? I swear every revision was identical, it's a miracle they were even able to sell some of their devices at $200.

Maybe they'll bounce back, but its gonna be awhile till they have something competitive. WP7 may have a small market share but at least it has potential. It's really crazy to see the landscape of smartphones change so drastically.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
BBX better deliver. They definitely have the potential to turn it around as the playbook OS is solid and the playbook itself is a good device.

If they launch a rocking playbook 2.0 and BBX OS with a killer smartphone, they'll be back in business.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
BBX better deliver. They definitely have the potential to turn it around as the playbook OS is solid and the playbook itself is a good device.

If they launch a rocking playbook 2.0 and BBX OS with a killer smartphone, they'll be back in business.

Nothing can save RIM now. They won't be able to recover.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
What's the benefit of BB's anymore for the regular consumer? I can't think of a single thing, I was so glad to get rid of my personal BB(still got my work one) as doing anything on it besides email was useless. Oh almost forgot, I did win the 5 million on the poker twice. Corporate use is the only avenue they excel in and have a chance at.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
When your sales shrink 80%, chances are you don't need as many people...?

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004

The current crop of phones are quite good though. The biggest problem in terms of consumers perception is most of their current sales are still 2-3 year old products which are not remotely competitive. Anyone buying (or being 'given' one by their employer) thinks this is what RIM has to offer and will likely never touch another BB.

They're probably making good margin on these mature devices, but they should have bulldozed them all, and pushed the newer stuff out at similar prices. Since they are taking a financial bath anyway, they could have at least made it a 'productive' bath.

I am biased, because my absolute first priority for a 'phone' is that it be a killer communications device, which BB has always been. To me, all the other stuff (browser, multimedia, games) is secondary, which is not the case for a lot of the consumer market. Even when the ~3GS was head and shoulders above BB as a 'consumer device?toy' I still preferred my BB, because it had better IM (particularly BBM), better email, and was a much better 'phone'.

However, browsing and multimedia has been vastly improved since the 2010 models (faster, tabbed browsing), and excellent since the 2011 models (much faster processors, substantially improved touch screens). And yet RIM is still selling 2009 devices.

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007

I've been saying they should do this for a year now. They were never really a consumer company and their success in the consumer market was mostly the result of having a great enterprise product and being in the right place at the right time. They will never beat Apple, Google/Moto, and Samsung at that game. They should be trying to fend off MS and Apple from stealing their remaining enterprise customers where they still have some competitive advantage so at least they still have a business in 5 years.

The dysfunction at RIM is quite frankly mind boggling. It's relatively easy to understand how a monster like MS can be dysfunctional but RIM is a much smaller and more focused company. It's just been run by people who were clearly in over their heads.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I've been saying they should do this for a year now. They were never really a consumer company and their success in the consumer market was mostly the result of having a great enterprise product and being in the right place at the right time. They will never beat Apple, Google/Moto, and Samsung at that game. They should be trying to fend off MS and Apple from stealing their remaining enterprise customers where they still have some competitive advantage so at least they still have a business in 5 years.

The dysfunction at RIM is quite frankly mind boggling. It's relatively easy to understand how a monster like MS can be dysfunctional but RIM is a much smaller and more focused company. It's just been run by people who were clearly in over their heads.

Sigh: http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/30/2913588/rim-is-not-abandoning-the-consumer-market

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
They should be trying to fend off MS and Apple from stealing their remaining enterprise customers where they still have some competitive advantage so at least they still have a business in 5 years.

What real advantage do they have though? Apple and Google have pretty much implemented every feature that could be found on a BlackBerry and are adding new features that surpass anything that RIM offers. Refocusing the company was necessary, but I feel as though they're focusing on the wrong things.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
When the lack of vision runs all the way to the top, is it any surprise it took them this long?

Its far worse than just a lack of vision, its a lack of action as well. You can run a successful business and never have 1 original idea. They also suffered from a lack of action. They couldnt even be bothered to follow the competition, much less try to innovate ahead of them.