Ruh Roh! Now this hot weather is causing baby formula shortage.... and no, this is not Q news, but real news.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
A baby formula plant owned by a company interestingly called Abbott, had to temporarily halt production, after the plant was flooded from heavy rain caused by the hot weather. Now we have climate change affecting the economy... whats next, lightning strikes causing oil reserve tanks to catch fire and burn down ????/s Seriously, we need to do something about climate change and global warming.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Before climate change we had to call natural disasters "natural disasters". Sometimes they were "acts of God". Now we blame ourselves. I think Moonbeam is on to something.
If the prevalence of these "natural disasters" has increased in the last 20(?)/50(?)/however many years compared to how it was in the last 100(?)/200(?)/however many years, maybe we ARE causing it and SHOULD blame ourselves. (and then try to do something about it) Personal responsibility and all that...

This assumes a clear correlation between warming temps and human caused pollution, which I believe at this point is settled science.

And at the end of the day, EVEN if we are not causing the warming, what's wrong with cleaning up our act in terms of polluting the planet (CO2, plastics, garbage, etc)? Yes, it won't be free, it will cost real money to change things, but don't you want to leave a nicer planet for your children/grandchildren and future generations?

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If the prevalence of these "natural disasters" has increased in the last 20(?)/50(?)/however many years compared to how it was in the last 100(?)/200(?)/however many years, maybe we ARE causing it and SHOULD blame ourselves. (and then try to do something about it)

Personal responsibility and all that...

Look maybe god is just very angry at us and the actual problem with increasingly extreme weather isn't the massive amount of greenhouse gas we've poured into biosphere with fully knowable consequences.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If the prevalence of these "natural disasters" has increased in the last 20(?)/50(?)/however many years compared to how it was in the last 100(?)/200(?)/however many years, maybe we ARE causing it and SHOULD blame ourselves. (and then try to do something about it) Personal responsibility and all that...

This assumes a clear correlation between warming temps and human caused pollution, which I believe at this point is settled science.

And at the end of the day, EVEN if we are not causing the warming, what's wrong with cleaning up our act in terms of polluting the planet (CO2, plastics, garbage, etc)? Yes, it won't be free, it will cost real money to change things, but don't you want to leave a nicer planet for your children/grandchildren and future generations?
FYGM

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Before climate change we had to call natural disasters "natural disasters". Sometimes they were "acts of God". Now we blame ourselves. I think Moonbeam is on to something.

An act of god is a cop out clause used by insurance companies when there's a storm and my neighbors tree has a branch that falls and lands on my car.

Climate change is a long term, measurable and attributable process driving a whole host of instability.

But it would take an act of god for you to give a shit.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
A baby formula plant owned by a company interestingly called Abbott, had to temporarily halt production, after the plant was flooded from heavy rain caused by the hot weather. Now we have climate change affecting the economy... whats next, lightning strikes causing oil reserve tanks to catch fire and burn down ????/s Seriously, we need to do something about climate change and global warming.
First you heard of Abbott & formula?! smfh

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
relevant:
rgk8jH5.jpeg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
dude, you are like the worst "breaking news" guy out there. This shortage has actually been an issue for about 2 months now. This new closure is only after the factory re-opened for about 2 weeks, after having been shut down for 6 months or so due to contamination.

interestingly called Abbot? Abbot has been around for fucking-ever, and they are a massive testing and production company.

Nov 29, 2006
dude, you are like the worst "breaking news" guy out there. This shortage has actually been an issue for about 2 months now. This new closure is only after the factory re-opened for about 2 weeks, after having been shut down for 6 months or so due to contamination.

interestingly called Abbot? Abbot has been around for fucking-ever, and they are a massive testing and production company.

He is trying to pick up where CNN left off.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
An act of god is a cop out clause used by insurance companies when there's a storm and my neighbors tree has a branch that falls and lands on my car.

Climate change is a long term, measurable and attributable process driving a whole host of instability.

But it would take an act of god for you to give a shit.
That's close to the truth. While I would prefer that we not ruin our planet, that result is nearly a forgone conclusion. Humans are, generally speaking, stupid, greedy, and self centered. We want things, we spend vast sums of money and effort convincing each other that we need newer better things to replace the old crappy things we already have. We also love packaging. A lot of the stuff we buy comes in packaging that will out last the product 10 fold.
We talk a lot about how something needs to be done, but we don't want to do anything that will cause our investments to lose value, or make us uncomfortable. Though we're all about doing things that will cause other people to lose money and be uncomfortable.
So while I see climate change as a looming disaster, it will be a slow disaster and allow us time to adapt. It will also be a great marketing tool as we replace all of our old stuff with new "environmentally friendly" stuff.
The one thing we could do that would actually make a long term difference in how long our planet will support us is the one thing we'll never do until we reach the point of implementing life boat rules.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
So while I see climate change as a looming disaster, it will be a slow disaster and allow us time to adapt.
I do not believe it will be a slow disaster.

We already went over the tipping point.

Siberia is burning. Permafrost is melting. Most of the ice has melted. Ocean currents that have given life for millennia are changing.

Death has come to our world, and not the slow adaptable sort of death. The animal kingdoms great extinction accelerates. For us people, only the wealthy who plan ahead will retain their privilege. Those who do not plan ahead will suffer. Those who commit the unforgivable sin of being poor will starve.

It is time to start building for climate change now. We are the lucky few born into privilege. We need to plan ahead and build the infrastructure for climate change now to retain that privilege.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I do not believe it will be a slow disaster.

We already went over the tipping point.

Siberia is burning. Permafrost is melting. Most of the ice has melted. Ocean currents that have given life for millennia are changing.

Death has come to our world, and not the slow adaptable sort of death. The animal kingdoms great extinction accelerates. For us people, only the wealthy who plan ahead will retain their privledge. Those who do not plan ahead will suffer. Those who commit the unforgivable sin of being poor will starve.

It is time to start building for climate change now. We are the lucky few born into privledge. We need to plan ahead and build the infrastructure for climate change now to retain that privledge.
I won't be surprised if virologist come out discovering that COVID-19 was caused by a mutation of SARS, which was caused by some form of global warming related side effect.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I won't be surprised if virologist come out discovering that COVID-19 was caused by a mutation of SARS, which was caused by some form of global warming related side effect.

In 2016, a 12-year-old boy died and around 100 people became sick with anthrax poisoning in a region of Siberia that hadn’t seen an outbreak in over 70 years. Scientists think the outbreak was caused by anthrax spores released from a decades-old reindeer carcass that was newly exposed by thawing permafrost.

A single gram of permafrost can contain thousands of dormant microbe species. Scientists fear that a thaw could not only unearth diseases we thought we had conquered — including smallpox and bubonic plague — but also release ancient pathogens against which we currently have no natural immunity and no effective antibiotics or vaccinations.

Covid-19 may turn out to be trivial compared to what is lurking in the meltwater.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Death has come to our world, and not the slow adaptable sort of death. The animal kingdoms great extinction accelerates. For us people, only the wealthy who plan ahead will retain their privilege. Those who do not plan ahead will suffer. Those who commit the unforgivable sin of being poor will starve.

The poor, when starving, often eat the rich.
They better have planned on a well secured island.

Reactions: Leeea