Rudy Guliani trading cards

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
To reverse his stances on abortion and gun control like that, so blatantly pandering to the right, actually wants to make me vote for him in a weird sort of way. You know, that feeling you get when you know someone will do anything to get what he wants but, when finally in power, will start doing what he really wants. If Giuliani takes it, I can totally see him reversing himself; maybe not on hot topic social issues, but I bet he wouldn't pander as badly.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
To reverse his stances on abortion and gun control like that, so blatantly pandering to the right, actually wants to make me vote for him in a weird sort of way. You know, that feeling you get when you know someone will do anything to get what he wants but, when finally in power, will start doing what he really wants. If Giuliani takes it, I can totally see him reversing himself; maybe not on hot topic social issues, but I bet he wouldn't pander as badly.
Do you feel the same way about southern Democrats who give up their pro-life views so they can run for national office?

Bill Clinton and Al Gore specifically.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Do you feel the same way about southern Democrats who give up their pro-life views so they can run for national office?

Actually, when I read Evan Lieb's post, it made me think about Bush's first presidential campaign.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
All those links are consisten in his anti-gun stance. I know that now he is a hypocritical, despicable piece of crap, but didn't all those cards have a consistent theme to them and not the hypocrisy and idiocy we now know him to possess?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Absolutely, without question. Especially Gore.

*edit* Strike that, especially Clinton. Got the two confused for a second there. ;)

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: eits
Originally posted by: eits
how much is a pack?

/sets it up

ok, i'll take the ball and run with it...

$9.11 per pack after tax

Interesting, on the back of the pack it says:

Look for sequentially numbered cards limited to only 911~! That's right, Bush Proclaiming "War on Terror" (odds 1:911), Congress blindly passing the "Patriot Act" (odds 1:911). Limited edition subsets not available in set form. Odds may very, buy at your own risk

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Rudy has been very clear that 9/11 changed everything, has made him reevaluate and reconsider his positions. Really, if you call him a flip flopper, you're belittling 9/11 and the sacrifices of the heroes.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Martin
Rudy has been very clear that 9/11 changed everything, has made him reevaluate and reconsider his positions. Really, if you call him a flip flopper, you're belittling 9/11 and the sacrifices of the heroes.

Wouldn't have had to change anything if he just stuck to upholding the Constitution.

No, he is a "flip flopper", no matter how much the patriotism guilt trip you try to throw on people.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As someone likely to vote democratic, I still have to be disturbed that the GOP moderates have to pin all their hopes on someone like Giuliani. Many of both parties had hoped that Hagel would enter the GOP race but Hagel has ruled that out. But any GOP moderate might do equally as well although flashy phonies seem to be preferred to the colorless
slow and steady win the race types that more typify the usual GOP moderate. With highly respected principled GOP moderates like Lugar and Warner flat out too old to enter the race.

In terms of the playing cards, thats a swiftboat idea that can be applied to any candidate in the race because politics is somewhat the art of seeming to be all things to all people. So I predict we will be seeing more mud slinging as the all too long race for 11/2008 heats up. And other than straw polls, not a single vote has been cast, yet the conventional wisdom is that the field is now fixed as its too late for any newbie to enter?

My fear is that the dems will pick Hillary and the GOP will pick Giuliani. And then the Presidential entire election of 11/08 will descend into mudsling while the unaddressed big issues are not really discussed.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
As someone likely to vote democratic, I still have to be disturbed that the GOP moderates have to pin all their hopes on someone like Giuliani

You should thank them. It will make electing a democrat all the more likely, though the flip is that he's so awful that if he does win, the country loses big.

My fear is that the dems will pick Hillary and the GOP will pick Giuliani. And then the Presidential entire election of 11/08 will descend into mudsling while the unaddressed big issues are not really discussed.

Stop worrying. You can rest quite assured that it will be brainless mudslinging anyway.
Was it really sarcastic? That is his actual reason for having different views now, after all.
http://tpmelectioncentral.com/...ind_on_gun_control.php
haha One of the comments after that link said If only NYC had had more relaxed gun laws on 9/11, armed New Yorkers in the streets could have shot the planes down with their handguns. (that was sarcastic)