Rudy Giuliani for president

engineereeyore

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2005
9/11 aside, I lived in New York City for two years prior to those events and I gotta say, the man really did a great job of cleaning up NYC. Obviously, I think he did a pretty good job with 9/11, but even without that, I think he's a great guy.

I'm a libertarian, so I wouldn't owe him any loyalty due to his party, but I'd still vote for him. Just interested to see what other people think of the man.

EDIT: In case you haven't heard, he has started filing paper work for running. Link

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Based on who is likely to grab the Democratic nomination, yes I would.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I wouldn't vote for him, no. I don't feel that the Republican party deserves my vote for their candidate.

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005
No I wouldnt even think of voting him in... seems like the same figurehead guy you would love to go fishing with... reminds me to much of Bush espically when you bring his party into it. Its like Bush 2.0 9/11 strong leader against terror etc. etc. but when it comes down to running the country we need someone smart and with lots of experience not another nice guy. If Giuliani is the best guy the republicans can put foward they are in trouble. If they really wanted to win they need a canidate with strong military experience like a general, strong leadership, fiscal responsibility, straight foward and smart, and moderate views.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
I wouldn't vote for him, no. I don't feel that the Republican party deserves my vote for their candidate.
what if the other candidates are worse?

I hate seeing people vote so blindly along party lines... the word "lemming" comes to mind.

Voting against someone, based on their party, is as ignorant as voting for someone based on their party.

pauldovi

Mar 15, 2006
I cannot vote for a man who supports gun control, abortion, and open borders. I would never vote for Rudy Giuliani. I do like the McCain / Liberman bid and I am also a big fan of Tom Tancredo. If Newt Gingrich were to run I would also consider him. But never Giuliani....

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: pauldovi
I cannot vote for a man who supports gun control, abortion, and open borders. I would never vote for Rudy Giuliani. I do like the McCain / Liberman bid and I am also a big fan of Tom Tancredo. If Newt Gingrich were to run I would also consider him. But never Giuliani....

The gun control is usually a big sticker for me, but the thought of Hillary in the White House under a Democratic Congress is a truely frightening prospect.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Depends on the Democratic nominee, however the candidate would have to be REALLY bad. I would have no problem voting for any of the current democratic candidates in the news (Hillary, Obama, Edwards, etc...)

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: palehorse74

I hate seeing people vote so blindly along party lines... the word "lemming" comes to mind.

Voting against someone, based on their party, is as ignorant as voting for someone based on their party.

I am voting against Guiliani based on his party. Republicans cannot be trusted with government after the mismanagement of the last 8 years. It's a risk this country can't afford to take. If Guiliani feels that the Republican party does not represent his views, he should leave it. Until then, I will assume that he supports Republican agenda, and as such I will never vote for him. You can call me a lemming till your face turns blue. I say you are a lemming if you will vote for Guiliani without regard for what party he is in.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: nullzero
they need a canidate with strong military experience like a general, strong leadership, fiscal responsibility, straight foward and smart, and moderate views.

how is giuliani not most of that? :confused:

i don't have any particular problem with him, other than the gun control.

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: ElFenix
they need a canidate with strong military experience like a general, strong leadership, fiscal responsibility, straight foward and smart, and moderate views.

He has no military experience and is to liberal for his party. He is also not very straight foward trying to cover up his multiple relationships behind the scenes. The guy is working on his third wife... not your typical republican poster boy. What are Giulianis views on Iraq? because I havent heard a thing maybe because he has no plan.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002

Then I would "throw away my vote" by voting libertarian.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

He has no military experience and is to liberal for his party. He is also not very straight foward trying to cover up his multiple relationships behind the scenes. The guy is working on his third wife... not your typical republican poster boy. What are Giulianis views on Iraq? because I havent heard a thing maybe because he has no plan.

So you are voting for McCain then? :confused:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

I am voting against Guiliani based on his party. Republicans cannot be trusted with government after the mismanagement of the last 8 years. It's a risk this country can't afford to take. If Guiliani feels that the Republican party does not represent his views, he should leave it. Until then, I will assume that he supports Republican agenda, and as such I will never vote for him. You can call me a lemming till your face turns blue. I say you are a lemming if you will vote for Guiliani without regard for what party he is in.

what is this, proportional representation europe where people are in office solely due to the party and not their own merits? it's one thing if you're voting on elections where the only thing known about a candidate is their party affiliation (although, i would prefer people refrain from voting in those situations) but entirely another when you can know perhaps every position of a candidate on everything the media tells you is an 'issue'

i really don't give a rat's ass about someone's personal life. other than that, you didn't address any other part about leadership, fiscal sense, smart, and moderate views. no, you just go off into iraq looking for something that may or may not be there, and we all know how that ends up.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
TerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerT
rrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTer
erTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerrerTerre
TerrerTerrerTerrerTerrer

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005

what is this, proportional representation europe where people are in office solely due to the party and not their own merits? it's one thing if you're voting on elections where the only thing known about a candidate is their party affiliation (although, i would prefer people refrain from voting in those situations) but entirely another when you can know perhaps every position of a candidate on everything the media tells you is an 'issue'

i really don't give a rat's ass about someone's personal life. other than that, you didn't address any other part about leadership, fiscal sense, smart, and moderate views. no, you just go off into iraq looking for something that may or may not be there, and we all know how that ends up.

He would be in over his head, maybe he would make a good vice president. Leading our armed forces in Iraq is going to take someone who has strong support from their party and the people. I havent heard a thing abut Giuliani's view on Iraq... If he is going to be quiet it makes me think he wants the status quo if he runs for president. Fighting crime in NYC and fighting insurgents in Iraq are two totally different animals. We need a Eisenhower type of person running for president.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
A Republican who is a fiscal conservative but not a Jesus freak. Hell yeah I would vote for him.

Too bad the Christian right will never support his nomination.

Arcex

Mar 23, 2005

I have to disagree here.

While the final candidate has to be taken into consideration it is a fairly safe statement to make that whoever gets the Republican nomination will be more or less average when it comes to the standard Republican platform, otherwise they won?t get the nomination.

Speaking solely for myself I don?t think I could bear to see another typical Republican president, they have damaged this country severely over the last 8 years (I know I?m basing that statement mostly off 1 president but come on, if Bush Jr. isn?t enough to sour you on the Republican party you need to read more) and a Democrat is more likely to help heal some of the damage they have done.

Between Bush and a Republican controlled Congress for so long I think the lower and middle class have been stepped on long enough and the upper class and Big Business have seen enough love.

Let the healing begin, vote Ventura in 08!

*OK, I know he?s not running, but it?s an interesting idea none the less*

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005
Humm seems most republicans dont like Giuliani and most democrats dont like him either. This guy doesnt have a chance in hell for being president if he is trying to cater to swing voters. He would have a better chance running as independent. I doubt Giuliani would ever get past nomination.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
I am sorry but we need a new yorker in office like we need another texan (or wanna be texan whose family is actually from NE).

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005
I like to see his polling scores after he lays out a detailed plan for Iraq. Mc Cain already has his Iraq plans out in the open he feels we need more troops and try to win this engagement. Giuliani.... where is his view on Iraq? I like to hear it or is he taking his time to swing with what he feels the voters want to hear the most?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: dahunan
TerrerTerrerTerrerTerrer

I have to agree. It was fear that elected Bush and it's fear that elects any Republican. The fearful worship at the feet of the so called brave. The bravery of Politicians is the bravery of pretense like Mussolini, strutting around like a peacock.