Rude old woman

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
Originally posted by: woowoo
Get off the phone and move your cart
And
Respect your elders

I agree. And I am amazed at the posts hammering this old lady... cranky or not, she is still an old woman. I could not EVER imagine speaking to an old lady like that. My parents would be ashamed if I did.

I am really surprised at the responses here.

:(

Just because you're old doesn't give you some magical rights to be a jerk.

OP may have been a jerk, but its pretty clear this woman isn't up for any awards either.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
And
Respect your elders

I agree. And I am amazed at the posts hammering this old lady... cranky or not, she is still an old woman. I could not EVER imagine speaking to an old lady like that. My parents would be ashamed if I did.

I am really surprised at the responses here.

:(

Just because you're old doesn't give you some magical rights to be a jerk.

OP may have been a jerk, but its pretty clear this woman isn't up for any awards either.

No matter what she is... she is still an old woman... to me, it says more about the OP than it does about the rudeness of the old woman...

Maybe it is just my being old... but I think a thread saying..."An old woman was really rude, but I was above it and showed some respect" would be something to be proud of... not "a old woman was rude and I was rude back" .

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
When cell phones first became popular I was equally annoyed with people talking on them in stores and in restaurants. I understand her frustration completely. I also understand her frustration of leaving a cart in an inconvenient spot for everyone else. I have to get on my wife's case about this all the time.

The world doesn't revolve around you. :p

cosine17

Dec 15, 2004
i seriously dont understand why cell phones got so accepted. its one of the most disrespectful things u can do to someone. when i work (i work in a shoe store part time) if someone comes up and is on their cell phone i wait for them to get off.

kinda rude to imply that the person who is physically in FRONT of u isnt anywhere near as important as that person 50 miles away.

that being said, she shouldnt have snapped at u.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: SagaLore
When cell phones first became popular I was equally annoyed with people talking on them in stores and in restaurants. I understand her frustration completely. I also understand her frustration of leaving a cart in an inconvenient spot for everyone else. I have to get on my wife's case about this all the time.

The world doesn't revolve around you. :p

Yeah, my GF does that all the time...but I have to ask you where is the spot that convenient for everyone else? To me, pulling it off to the side so people can get through is a must. But you've got to park it somewhere, and that somewhere is always going to be blocking access to some food items that a person happening by may want to get at. They just have to fvcking wait. Sounds like OP moved his cart for the woman, even apologized for something that in my mind you can't really do anything to avoid.

That's a non-issue I think, this woman was either having a bad day or has a hatred of people using cell phones in public places (I don't like it when they talk unusally loud myself, but otherwise don't care.) It was just the trigger for her having a fit.

Again, old people are afforded plenty of advantages by society already, all of which I don't have any huge issue with. But being a jerk is not one of them. You get a senior citizen's discount, not a be-an-ass-and-never-answer-for-it card.

Related note: I'm not sure what the big problem is with cell phones in stores...the 'I don't want to hear your conversation' thing is bunk...people talk to their wives and friends in stores as well and no one complains about that. Maybe they're pissed because they can't hear both sides of the conversation and feel their eavesdropping has been thwarted.

I do agree its rude to be on the phone when going through checkout though, because they sort of have to have your attention for you to pay.

I don't like them in cars much because people in general don't pay attention to the road worth a damn anyway, without having an extra distractor placed in the equation.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Do you dress like a thug? And also, maybe you speak loudly on the phone (or in person) and don't even know it? I have two friends that sound like they are yelling when they are on the phone.

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
Originally posted by: rdubbz420
old bag will probably die soon anyways.

yeah you should have said death will be calling her name alot sooner than yours, that would have made her day hehe

Dogg

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: BroeBo
Roommate confirmed that I was not being any louder then usual. At least I didn't swear at the old bag...

Considering the lack of side tones in cell phones most people are loud on a cell phone vs. home phones. Most people are usually loud, so not being louder than normal isn't good. Home phones replay what your saying into the reciever back to the speaker of your phone, so you hear your own voice in your ear. This is call a side tone. Without it, you tend to talk louder because you can't hear yourself on cell phones, even when you *try* to talk quiet.

Considering 99% of people talk too loud on a cell phone, I somehow doubt you were in the 1%. Did you consider it before you went off on her?

BTW, you left your shopping cart unattended because you were on the phone. Considering it was in her way in the first place, perhaps you should have been a bit nicer...

That's considering a lot, but it's neccessary to be considerate...

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
You should have pushed her onto the floor and then overturned a display case onto her. All while screaming "How do you like me now Gandma!"

Holy hell. There is now coffee everywhere. I hope you're happy. :|

-geoff

woowoo

Platinum Member
Feb 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Phoenix86

BTW, you left your shopping cart unattended because you were on the phone. Considering it was in her way in the first place, perhaps you should have been a bit nicer...

That's considering a lot, but it's neccessary to be considerate...
Yep

It's just bad Karma man
It will come back to you.

Dissin an old lady.
(Smack)
Never a good thing.

neonerd

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2003
i hate encountering old hags like that...we have a "recreational center" a minute away from my house and they're always prying; checking whether you or your friends are allowed to be in there; i once was in there with 3 friends of mine...the wench comes up and starts yelling at me to kick one of my friends out of the club house because only 2 guests allowed per person :roll:

we were sitting on the couch talking, and playing some billiard

anyways, i typically do something similar or just act sarcastic until they get really pissed off and leave :thumbsup:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
So I am in Price Chopper (supermarket) yesterday and my friend calls me from Atlanta, GA to tell me she got a job (she barely moved down there a few weeks ago) I see out of the corner of my eye this woman pushes my shopping cart out of the way because I had left it near the spices. I apologized to her and continue talking to my friend. The woman then says o me "Damnit! I don't want to hear your conversation" Now I am not usually a rude person but I instantly shot back at her "Well I guess your just going to have to deal with it, woman". She then says "call me woman..." in a snobby voice. I then say "Fine. You just going to have to deal with it, old lady" I then continue my conversation with my friend "so you got a job? thats great". The old woman jumps in again and says "maybe you should get a job" I reply "I have a job, thanks. Where do you think I get the money to pay for this cell phone that pisses you off so much" I guess after that she mumbles something about my "mommy and daddy" paying for it which my roommate told me she said. (who was standing right next to me) My friend on the phone asks me what is going on and I tell her "Nothing, just some old hag hassling me about my phone."

I realize that I was pretty nasty to this woman but she was the one to snap at me for no good reason. I was not being loud on my phone. I was talking in a normal tone of noise and if I had been talking to my roommate it would have twice as much noise and just as loud.

My area is a college town and some of the people here have a hatred for college students.
Their mindset is: Young guy with nice jacket and cell phone = college kid = spoiled mommy and daddy's boy.

Cliff notes:
There are none. Read the above text.
dude, next time take the high road. would you like to hear grannie squawking about her hot flashes to her saggy boobed friend? no...... so put yourself in her shoes, and zip your lip.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Related note: I'm not sure what the big problem is with cell phones in stores...the 'I don't want to hear your conversation' thing is bunk...people talk to their wives and friends in stores as well and no one complains about that. Maybe they're pissed because they can't hear both sides of the conversation and feel their eavesdropping has been thwarted.

Side tones. Add them to cell phones and the problem will reduce itself. This is not a problem with home phones because they add side tones. In my office, I have 6 people near me who are on the phone all day, does this bother me? No, why? Side tones.

Try working in a room with 6 people on a cell phone. You won't be able to hear yourself think.

Anyways, this is why normal conversations, or phone conversations (not cell) are not a problem but cell phones are.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
And
Respect your elders

Respect should be earned, not because you're old.

The old bag started the argument and he finished it.

She didn't earn his respect.

woowoo

Platinum Member
Feb 17, 2003
Originally posted by: ELP
And
Respect your elders

Ever heard of Common Courtesy?

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: ELP
And
Respect your elders

Ever heard of Common Courtesy?

The old woman definitely had not heard of it. Ignore the person on the phone. Not too hard...

She was just jealous of my phone because mine has buttons and she has carpal tunnel from her rotary dial..

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Actually there are 2 Price Chopper chains. The one that is based in Schenectady, NY and there is one that is in Kansas City.

If he's in a college town my guess is Cortland, NY.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
while not commendable, you did the right thing. try to be more understanding tho, old people are grumpy by nature. just give her a break since you are a better person than she is :)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
If this thread had been the other way around, and you were bitching because some old woman was blabbing and was blocking stuff in the aisle, the same group of supporters would still be supporting you and bitching about the woman on the cell. :roll:

Dude, is this whole thing a parody of the Gooddad's thread? It is too ridiculous to be true. I find it unbelievable that you have no shame at all to stand in a supermarket and argue with someone, much less an old woman. If this story is true at all, you had no need to speak to your friend, for it was not an emergency or a business call. You could have held your conversation until you got out of the supermarket; or at the very least, toned down your voice and be mindful of those shopping. You were being inconsiderate and a total prick.
Roommate confirmed that I was not being any louder then usual. At least I didn't swear at the old bag...
Cell phone users with no manners all say that they don't sound loud, but they actually do. Moreover, if you notice, you did say that your roommate said that you were not any louder. That statement implies that in your normal conversation, you're usually loud in the first place. I don't care if you're on the phone or talking to someone in person, being obnoxious is not an attribute to be proud of.

At the end, your story is too preposterous and your tone is too dry to be true. I do not believe that you're so out of touch that you couldn't see that even if it were a young person, no one appreciates your behavior. I also do not believe that the old lady stood there and argued with you for that long. But if at all it happened and as you described, thanks for letting us know what a jerk you are. We'll be looking out for you.