Rude old woman

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Since when did 'Common Courtesy' mean not talking on a cell phone when you're in the grocery store. I'm sorry, common courtesy left the building when she made assinine comments. Common courtesy would have her go about her business ignoring his conversation even though it might have bugged her.

Or should old people not be held to the same standards of manners that the rest are held?

what has this world come to when you are not even allowed to use cellphones in the grocery stores? where else do you expect to use cellphones, sitting in a bathroom stall? :disgust: i am not sure what this price chopper place is, but out of all the stores i have been to people use cellphones all the time and never i have seen anyone showing discomfort from that.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: ELP
Originally posted by: woowoo
Originally posted by: ELP
Get off the phone and move your cart
And
Respect your elders

Respect should be earned, not because you're old.

The old bag started the argument and he finished it.

She didn't earn his respect.

Ever heard of Common Courtesy?

Since when did 'Common Courtesy' mean not talking on a cell phone when you're in the grocery store. I'm sorry, common courtesy left the building when she made assinine comments. Common courtesy would have her go about her business ignoring his conversation even though it might have bugged her.

Or should old people not be held to the same standards of manners that the rest are held?

Sequence of events.

- BroeBo's friend calls him, no doubt elated that she got a job so soon after moving :)
- BroeBo is happy for her, and accidentally leaves shopping cart parked obstructing spice rack
Potential Ending 1- remember to move your cart
- Cranky old bitch with sand in her vagina shoves cart out of the way rather than asking BroeBo to move it
Potential Ending 2 - Tap on shoulder + "can you move your cart/hand me the ____, please?"
- BroeBo apologizes for obstructing COBWSIHV and continues conversation
Potential Ending 3 - Accept the apology, get your spices, and GTFO lady. :p
- COBWSIHV overhears conversation about youth, success, and possibly beauty. Having none of the three, she snaps at BroeBo.
- BroeBo justifiably returns fire with a nicer "STFU"
Potential Ending 4 - "You got Served" and walk away, "woman" :p
- COBWSIHV can't stand that this Young WhipperSnapper isn't going to take crap from her and whines some more
- BroeBo reminds her once again to STFU.
</thread>

- M4H

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
?? to all the "I hate cells in public" people...

where else is an appropriate place of use? Really, the whole point of the damn thing is to be able to call or be called if something were to come up. Personally, i would have told the person I'll give'em a call back when i get home, but not before a quick congrats! and virtual handshake.

If someone is bellowing at the top of their lungs on their cell, then sure, get PO'd and filled with righteous, technophobic anger and virtue, and tell them to get the hell of their personal phone, as your auditory space is being infringed by their thoughtless use of carrierwaves. How dare they compromise your right to live without being bombarded by electronic signals in the supermarket!

Call me an inconsiderate ass if you like.. tell me to get off the phone, for what I deem an important call, and you're as like as not to get a cocked eyebrow and to be ignored.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: blakeatwork

where else is an appropriate place of use?
Please isn't the problem, volume is. As I said before I work next to 6 people all day who are on the phones, and this doesn't bother me one bit. Put me next to 1 asshat using a nextel+PTT or 3 people saying "can you hear me now" and I'm irritated. See the difference?

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
Get off the phone and move your cart
And
Respect your elders

I agree. And I am amazed at the posts hammering this old lady... cranky or not, she is still an old woman. I could not EVER imagine speaking to an old lady like that. My parents would be ashamed if I did.

I am really surprised at the responses here.

:(

Beggin your pardon, but if the old biddy down the lane tells me to F-off, and flips me the bird, aside from laughing my ass off, I'm going to give it right back to her. Age doesn't confer any sort of special status, unless you carry a colostomy bag with you.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
dude you realize you got in a verbal confrontation with an old woman right..and old woman....how can you be proud of that....

besides have you stopped to think that she is probably defensive and acts this way because other college people have been rude to her in the past

she may have been having a bad day, just got bad news from her doctor, had her social security check cut or whatever?

what if this had been your mom i am sure you would have been like oh well mom you deserve it....

seriously can not believe your proud of mouthing off to an old lady.....damn why dont you go kick a puppy or something.

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Phoenix86

Please isn't the problem, volume is. As I said before I work next to 6 people all day who are on the phones, and this doesn't bother me one bit. Put me next to 1 asshat using a nextel+PTT or 3 people saying "can you hear me now" and I'm irritated. See the difference?

Oh definitely.. i hate 2-way cells. Big difference from regular cell phones though. I'm of the party that hates those people who go deaf when their cell rings. I've never been able to understand exactly why people do it, as your tone and modulation shouldn't change.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
You should have replied, "Hey, isn't about time for you to be dying of old age already? What are you, 150?"

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
WELCOME TO BROEBO'S EVIL 500th POST EXTRAVAGANZA! :evil:

Got old people that need to get told off? Puppies that need kicking? Kittens that need smacking? Babies that need spankings? Anything evil at all? Great! Bring them on down! I don?t discriminate!

;)

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: BroeBo
WELCOME TO BROEBO'S EVIL 500th POST EXTRAVAGANZA! :evil:

Got old people that need to get told off? Puppies that need kicking? Kittens that need smacking? Babies that need spankings? Anything evil at all? Great! Bring them on down! I don?t discriminate!

;)

I think ATOT can handle its own kitten-killing. :p

- M4H

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
WTF is wrong with you people?
Since when do you have the right to tell people they aren't allowed to have a conversation in a grocery store?
It's a fvcking grocery store, not a library or movie theater.

I probably would have just ignored the woman or if she sounded really bitchy, I would have started talking louder.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: DT4K
Since when do you have the right to tell people they aren't allowed to have a conversation in a grocery store?

I probably would have just ignored the woman or if she sounded really bitchy, I would have started talking louder.

"You people" realize that someone acting badly doesn't obligate you to do the same.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: sixone

"You people" realize that someone acting badly doesn't obligate you to do the same.

Do you know what obligate means?

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

Remember the OLD style phones, the ones with hand cranks? Ever see a video of someone using one? Notice how they are shouting into the reciver? There were no sidetones in that style phone system, thus they shouted.

Do you shout your conversations in public too?

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: sixone

Do you know what obligate means?

Do you know what rights are?

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Phoenix86

you are still assuming he was being loud

frankly if you have a relatively new phone and good signal you can carry a conversation in a normal tone

and i don't see a problem with carrying a conversation in a supermarket

i dont even have a problem with someone taking a call at a nice restaurant as long as it is no louder than a normal conversation which is perfectly fine

if a grocery store isn't an acceptable place to receive a call than you might as well not even own a cell phone