Rube Goldberg aka Sandy1

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
I have always enjoyed peeking behind the curtain at other people’s rigs from time to time, so I am returning the favor for those interested. I just recently finished putting together a 4 GPU rig. This is not an addition to my rigs but rather a consolidation.

I got the idea from the GPU users, and the bitcoiners using multiple GPUs.

I combined mostly components on hand:
A ASRock motherboard with three pci-e X16 slots and a couple of X1 slots; a I7 2600k Sandy Bridge cpu, two 750W psu’s, 4 GTX 660ti’s, and 4GB ram. The shelving unit, the 1x4s, clamps and metal strips I already had on hand.

I bought the pci-e extenders especially for this project.

Note: one extender is an X1 to X16 which allows me to run the fourth card through the X1 slot.

A picture is worth a thousand words so I have linked a couple of pics of my Sandy1 below. I call it my Rube Goldberg contraption. Most of my rigs are naked or open assemblies without cases similar to this one except the cards are in slots as intended. I have done this for several years now, finding it is easier to work on and temps are not as much of a problem. These ASRock boards have on-off and reset buttons built right on the MB negating the need for a flat blade screwdriver or jumper.

Surprisingly, the rig worked pretty much right away. Boot up was a hoot while Windows found all the video cards.

Note: Two of the cards are on the second psu. It has to be turned off and on manually and its 24 pin connector is jumpered to allow it to work without a MB.

F@H Control did not automatically recognize all four GPUs so I had to manually add two slots.

Have not tried Seti (BOINC) yet, and am looking forward to the SETI.Germany WOW challenge in Aug.

link1

link2

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
My dancing, dust bunnies would make that their new brier patch and move in immediately!

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Not bad if doing that, looks a lot like some of the old bitcoin rigs.

mining-rig-14.jpg

Last edited: