Rubbing noise when turning wheel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LuckyTaxi, Sep 7, 2008.

1. LuckyTaxi

LuckyTaxi Diamond Member

Posted a couple of threads before but I wanted to give an update. The issue I'm having now is when I'm coming into a bend (turning left), I hear this rubbing noise. It appears to be coming from the right side, which wheel I'm not sure. I just replaced all 4 rotors and brake pads and my cousin think the pads are a little thick. I recall when I pulled out of the garage for the test drive, the rubbing noise was constant. After 10 miles or so, it has gone away but now it's back but only when I make left turns (with or without the brake applied).

2. AMCRambler

AMCRambler Diamond Member

I would check to make sure you've got the wheel lugs on that wheel torqued tight. Most cars have some kind of retaining fastener whether it's bolts. screws or just clips that fit over the studs to hold the rotor tight against the hub. The cars that have clips rely on the rim being snugged down on the studs tight to push against the rotor hat and hold the rotor in its proper place. If the wheel lugs aren't tightened enough then you could get some wobble in the rotor causing it to contact the pads.
    If it is the pads lightly rubbing the rotor then stepping on the brake when you hear the noise in the bend should make the noise go away. If not I'm thinking it might be something else.
    Another thing it could be is if you installed the wrong rotors. The hat of the rotor contributes to the amount of offset on the wheels. If the rotor hats are too short, your tire may be rubbing against the tie rod end. Depending on how big the difference is and how off your alignment is it could result in one side rubbing and the other not. Check for any kind of wear on the inside side wall of the tire to see if this is the case.

3. Chapbass

Chapbass Platinum Member

hmm,im going to keep an eye on this thread because i have the EXACT same problem in my 97 trans am.

4. LuckyTaxi

LuckyTaxi Diamond Member

I just had the noise checked out and it turned out to be the rear rotor on the passenger side.
    At first I thought it was the front since we had replaced the calipers but my cousin replaced the one in the back and the noise is gone.

He mentioned everytime the car turned left, the weight shifted the the rotor must've been loose or something. We can't figure it out
    but we put the original rotor back on and the noise is gone. What doesnt make any sense is we replaced all 4 rotors at the same time,
    why isn't the left one making a noise when I turn right?

5. boomerang

boomerang Lifer

I'd put them side by side and start checking dimensions. Diameter, offset, thickness, etc.

They either sold you one incorrect rotor, or one was packaged and/or labeled incorrectly.

Any rub marks on the "bad" rotor? That would point you in the right direction.