Question RTX3080 650w PS Computer dies same time I do, twice.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
The thread title made me think that the psu exploded and killed its owner, which was ok up to that point, although I did have some questions raised, regarding who started this thread if he was dead. Even so, I was willing to let it pass, but the fun started when I got to the "twice" part! xD

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The thread title made me think that the psu exploded and killed its owner, which was ok up to that point, although I did have some questions raised, regarding who started this thread if he was dead. Even so, I was willing to let it pass, but the fun started when I got to the "twice" part! xD
I thought the same thing! It certainly made me more interested in looking in here.

• Love
Reactions: psolord

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Thanks for the chuckies I got from this thread. They were unexpected, but apricated. Enjoy the new PS!

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Update:

I finally got back to the same spot in the game, level 4 Superweapon and the computer didn't die with the SuperNOVA 850 but curiously neither did I. One grenade is not enough to kill you if you have good health to begin with. Also curiously the maximum wattage I could get the 3080 to pull according to HWMonitor was about 327 watts or about 25 watts less than the max it had with the EA650 so not sure why the grenade caused the computer to shutdown with the EA650 unless it was a spike too fast for HWMonitor to measure or something.

The SuperNOVA 850 came with a shorting harness to test the PS out of the system which was kinda cool. I knew right away what the little dongle was for despite not RTFM.
Actually, it is expected. When you are pushing a power supply to it's limits and beyond, it is putting out dirty power, which in turn causes your gpu to pull more power in an attempt to compensate and try to stay stable. It's all part of the power management of the gpu.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Neil Tropp Graphics Cards 34

ASK THE COMMUNITY