RTX cards repaired by Nvidia before sell

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
As long as it warranted as new, and it was actually fixed at the factory before release, I have no problem with it.

The story seems thin on evidence, though. There could simply have been too much flux on those chips in the first place.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Such an excess of flux, which has not even been cleaned, may mean that manual corrections have been made on these cards.

Or in other words - somebody made this up.

And devices being reworked at the factory isn't any big deal, it happens all the time. Open up your TV, so the wire or two running access the circuit board? That's factory rework.

Reactions: RadiclDreamer

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Are you being sarcastic? Why would you willingly pay 1200 dollars for a card that a - was defective and repaired, b - initially 'escaped' quality assessment?

See above. It's very. very common. I'll bet you last vehicle that you purchased had a ton of factory rework in it.

Reactions: RadiclDreamer

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Tesla is manually repairing Model 3s off the fresh off repair line at a extremely high rate as well, people are still buying out the cars faster than they can make them. It's sad, but business is mainly about winning mind share, not maximizing quality.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Are you being sarcastic? Why would you willingly pay 1200 dollars for a card that a - was defective and repaired, b - initially 'escaped' quality assessment?
Business law under the UCC states that a company has the right to repair if their product has not been delivered to the customer so nothing wrong here. Car makers do it every day all over the planet as do many other businesses. At least they caught and fixed it prior to releasing it to the customers.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It's pretty typical for early stuff off the production line for a new product to have signs of factory rework or manual corrections to design issues that were discovered before release. I imported a brand new Game Boy Advance from Japan before it was released in USA and it had a manual rework resistor inside.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
It's pretty typical for early stuff off the production line for a new product to have signs of factory rework or manual corrections to design issues that were discovered before release. I imported a brand new Game Boy Advance from Japan before it was released in USA and it had a manual rework resistor inside.
Often referred to in the electronics field as a "bodge".

A bodged on resistor.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Sounds like good news to me. fix before buy is perfect, now RMA wait to hopefully get fixed card sounds like .....