Question RTX 4000/RX 7000 price speculation thread

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
My prediction: The entire generation will be 2-3X msrp on ebay and at retailers. RTX 3000 series will be sold along side the 4000 series because only a few will be buying RTX 4000 series who are willing to pay $1500 for what should be a $300 RTX 4060. Not enough supply to meet demand by a long shot, pricing will be through the Oort cloud. PC gaming is dead. Your thoughts?

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
That's insane. Why does it feel like GPU's are evolving backwards. In this era of inflation the last thing you want is more power hungry appliances.

I'm going to stick to my 1080 Ti for a few more years, aside from RTX which doesn't interest me it still handles everything at 1440P very well.

Are the new gen PCIE connectors going to transfer power? Adding more cabling to a GPU is just going backwards.

Its not insane at all. There's a huge market for these cards in AI these days, and that market wants the biggest, most powerful things they can get.

The power draw reductions from processes aren't keeping up remotely well with the amount of transistors on offer, so you get this. Happy with the pricing too. So, shrug.

They're then also - almost accidentally in a way - the fastest possible GPU's avaliable for gaming, so get marketed that way too. But that isn't really why the 4090 at least exists in the form it does.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Its not insane at all. There's a huge market for these cards in AI these days, and that market wants the biggest, most powerful things they can get.

The power draw reductions from processes aren't keeping up remotely well with the amount of transistors on offer, so you get this. Happy with the pricing too. So, shrug.

They're then also - almost accidentally in a way - the fastest possible GPU's avaliable for gaming, so get marketed that way too. But that isn't really why the 4090 at least exists in the form it does.
Also Quad SLI, or just SLI was a thing and personally I think the 4090 should be compared to a SLI setup.

Reactions: Qwertilot