Question RTX 3080

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Hey just curious I know we are still waiting for reviews but for those buying 3080 which one do you plan on getting and why? I generally don't care about looks that much but who do you prefer from a thermal prospective? I'm thinking of going Evga XC3. I kind of like the holes in the backplate but not sure how effective it is. My choice of cards
Evga XC3
Asus Strix
MSI

Whats your take of the thermal designs of the cards from what we have seen thus far?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I could not believe it... I went on ebay to see what 2080ti's are selling for. They went UP ! to $800-900 !!

And there were several ads that looked too good to be true. They were.. Selling an electronic picture of a 3080 for $500 ? What idiot would pay that ??????? And some were higher ! Everything looks like a real card, even in item specifics, until you read the description. "I will send you a picture of the 3080 and NVIDIA's out of stock screen via email. :) "

• Haha
Reactions: Thunder 57

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I could not believe it... I went on ebay to see what 2080ti's are selling for. They went UP ! to $800-900 !!

And there were several ads that looked too good to be true. They were.. Selling an electronic picture of a 3080 for $500 ? What idiot would pay that ??????? And some were higher ! Everything looks like a real card, even in item specifics, until you read the description. "I will send you a picture of the 3080 and NVIDIA's out of stock screen via email. :) "

It's not that surprising. The 2080 Ti value is determined by the price and availability of the 3080. Since you can't buy one of those at retail the only choice is inflated eBay prices.

Also the eBay scams are nothing new. I remember when there were plenty of people selling an Xbox Box, that is the cardboard box that the console named Xbox would ship in, but not the console itself.

I'm sure the scam predates that. I vaguely remember as a kid someone telling me they only promised "twenty doll hairs" for what I had given them.

• Haha
Reactions: Elfear

Massive79

Sep 16, 2004

Case was Cooler Master COSMOS C700P. Two 140mm intake, one 140mm exhaust fan (+ AIO).

The key is use an AIO, no more potential higher CPU temp because of bad air flow, plus added benefit of cooling your RAM from 3080 FE.

If the second fan of the 3080 FE is not blowing hot air, that mean the card is cooled by only one fan, kuddos to Nvidia by designing such cooler then.

I don't use specific tools but just using CoreTemp on my setup above, I compared my system (I use Phanteks Pro M SE and Noctua D14 (air cooling) ) with 2 VGA, ASUS Turbo 2070 Super (Blower style) and Galax 2080 Super SG Edition (3 fan), and some observations I made :
1. My CPU temp on daily use (just regular browsing, youtube, and Office application) lower 2-3 C when using blower type card
2. GPU temp and Noise on idle is lower on the Galax, as the blower edition doesn't have 0 rpm feature, it blows min of 20% fan speed when idle.

Since I'm overclocking my CPU, CPU temp is primarily my concern, I know it not much just 2-3 C, just to satisfied my need.

I'm sure the scenario will be different if I'm on AIO.
Still searching for best value performance for AIO though, in case any of you have recommendation :)

Last edited:

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
The key is use an AIO, no more potential higher CPU temp because of bad air flow

I don't use specific tools but just using CoreTemp on my setup above, I compared my system with 2 VGA, ASUS Turbo 2070 Super (Blower style) and Galax 2080 Super SG Edition (3 fan), and some observations I made :
1. My CPU temp on daily use (just regular browsing, youtube, and Office application) lower 2-3 C when using blower type card
2. GPU temp and Noise on idle is lower on the Galax, as the blower edition doesn't have 0 rpm feature, it blows min of 20% fan speed when idle.

Since I'm overclocking my CPU, CPU temp is primarily my concern, I know it not much just 2-3 C
I use Phanteks Pro M SE and Noctua D14 (air cooling).

I'm sure the scenario will be different if I'm on AIO.
Still searching for best value performance for AIO though, in case any of you have recommendation :)
Since the AIO cooler was installed on top, the results would have been (more or less) the same with air cooler.

Blower types obviously lower the case temperature since they try to exhaust it all outside of the case. FE exhaust partly while MSI just circulates the same air (no flow through or anything - probably the worst card to pick for those who don't want high case air temps).

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004

lol I'll 1 up you. For $600 I'll take my 1080ti scribble a 3 over the one so it says 3080ti. I'll even include free shipping in the US lmao that's how those Ebay listings seem to be going.

Massive79

Sep 16, 2004

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Since the AIO cooler was installed on top, the results would have been (more or less) the same with air cooler.

Blower types obviously lower the case temperature since they try to exhaust it all outside of the case. FE exhaust partly while MSI just circulates the same air (no flow through or anything - probably the worst card to pick for those who don't want high case air temps).
The blower exhausts air yeah, but you’d have lower case temps and less noise with the MSI cooler and a 200mm case fan.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Well I'll get an OCed third party 3080 or 3090 card but only after the reviews say it's fairly dependable and if the OC is decent. By decent I don't really mean relative to price. I'll pay the extra money for the OC anyway but not $3k usd for it. If they keep selling out then I'll have to wait cause not paying $10k or $50k for one on ebay.

Massive79

Sep 16, 2004
Careful if you have a small case, 3080 FE card will blow hot air directly to your CPU and inside your case, it will provide bad result for those who still have air cooling for their CPU, or have bad airflow on their case.

Here what will look like an FE 3080 on regular PC case without modding the airflow direction :
View attachment 30089

You can always mod the direction though, but it will need extra work for changing all fan direction just because you buy an RTX 3080 :)

This turns out to be false based on JayzTwoCents at youtube, actually FE card benefiting on cooling other component as air flow from 3080 inside case still in lower temperature as other peripheral, so that mean more air push inside the case which benefiting the CPU and RAM as well directly.

With all that said, so if I have FE 3080, will it be better for me if I turn case fan 2 and 3 direction to inside the case so more air push to my CPU?
I want to do that but I'm worry then I will only have 1 exhaust fan (Case fan 1)

Well I'll get an OCed third party 3080 or 3090 card but only after the reviews say it's fairly dependable and if the OC is decent. By decent I don't really mean relative to price. I'll pay the extra money for the OC anyway but not $3k usd for it. If they keep selling out then I'll have to wait cause not paying $10k or $50k for one on ebay.

I think most decent third party 3080 currently is only ASUS TUF series as they use all MLCC in their lineup, and in addition with EVGA which has confirm will use proper MLCC amount in their lineup although some still under default nvidia spec but at least they have confirm it wont have problem with it.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Those aren't real, unless your dumb enough to get them.
It was meant as a troll, because i think somewhere like 75-80% of the launch cards you could get were resold on ebay at 200% maarkup.
Bearly any of them got into real gamers hands with the intention of keeping it, because you could in theory flip it, and get a 3090 after markup.

If you think that is bad, a group of people got really upset and started writting script bots on fake ebay accounts to artifically inflat listings as high as $80,000. Then the scalpers got wise and just started to do a buy it now instead of auction, because of those script bots.

Also the eBay scams are nothing new. I remember when there were plenty of people selling an Xbox Box, that is the cardboard box that the console named Xbox would ship in, but not the console itself.

I'm sure the scam predates that. I vaguely remember as a kid someone telling me they only promised "twenty doll hairs" for what I had given them.

Its not a scam, they are trolls.
They are just a group of people who are annoyed as hell that most of these cards are being flipped and not kept.
Its really sad and a botched launch by nvidia.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Its not a scam, they are trolls.
They are just a group of people who are annoyed as hell that most of these cards are being flipped and not kept.
Its really sad and a botched launch by nvidia.

The people having bots bid up prices to ridiculous levels and never pay for a winning bid are trolls.

The people claiming to sell a 3080/3090 but who are really selling you a box or a printed picture of the card are scammers. Fortunately the trolls don't care to read closely and are probably keeping these idiots in check as well.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
The people claiming to sell a 3080/3090 but who are really selling you a box or a printed picture of the card are scammers.

Those people, and most were blatantly obviously not selling real cards, so didn't look like scammers to me, also clog searches, and make it more difficult to find scalper cards, so I applaud them too.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It wouldn't bother me if I could somehow go to say the manufacturer's site (EVGA for example) and pay for it and when stock arrives they ship it to me. Or Pay a deposit and when it arrives I'd pay the rest. I clicked every "notify me" thing I could find across Amazon, EVGA, Best Buy, Newegg and probably a couple others. I doubt I'll ever see the email and by the time I do, the 3 they got are gone lol. Much like the PS5 I have to wait. Nvidia may have messed up here with the way it went if AMD's card is even close to the 3080 performance but could actually be purchased normally. I do expect it to sell out as well but if you have more average enthusiasts getting them and fewer bots(something I doubt but hope against hope for lol) it could be a big deal.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
It wouldn't bother me if I could somehow go to say the manufacturer's site (EVGA for example) and pay for it and when stock arrives they ship it to me. Or Pay a deposit and when it arrives I'd pay the rest. I clicked every "notify me" thing I could find across Amazon, EVGA, Best Buy, Newegg and probably a couple others. I doubt I'll ever see the email and by the time I do, the 3 they got are gone lol. Much like the PS5 I have to wait. Nvidia may have messed up here with the way it went if AMD's card is even close to the 3080 performance but could actually be purchased normally. I do expect it to sell out as well but if you have more average enthusiasts getting them and fewer bots(something I doubt but hope against hope for lol) it could be a big deal.

You might plausibly get a chance at less bots. I presume that the window of opportunity to scalp people is limited to the initial burst of demand from people who 'must' have the newest cards.

Anyone else will surely simply laugh at any attempts to jack up pricing?

If AMD's stuff ends up being sensibly competitive then with it being months behind in releasing I can't really see it offering the same kind of scope.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

No local B&M computer stores? They will usually take back orders.

I moved to the absolute backwoods of nowhere, but I know the computer shop I used to deal with when I lived in civilization, will still accept my back order. If I wanted one, that is what I would do. I wouldn't be chasing stock at the big etailers.

Until I moved to nowhere I got everything through local shops and it was reliable and hassle free. I didn't have to deal with crappy shipping companies or worry about porch pirates, etc...

I really don't know why people with the local option use the mail order one given all the hassles.

I am looking to build a new PC, and I cringe at the thought of buying a HDD bounced around by Fedex. I really miss my local shop.

But heck most people live in cities, so most people here should also live in cities with real computer shops. Yet all I hear is Newgg, Amazon, etc...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
No local B&M computer stores? They will usually take back orders.

I moved to the absolute backwoods of nowhere, but I know the computer shop I used to deal with when I lived in civilization, will still accept my back order. If I wanted one, that is what I would do. I wouldn't be chasing stock at the big etailers.

Until I moved to nowhere I got everything through local shops and it was reliable and hassle free. I didn't have to deal with crappy shipping companies or worry about porch pirates, etc...

I really don't know why people with the local option use the mail order one given all the hassles.

I am looking to build a new PC, and I cringe at the thought of buying a HDD bounced around by Fedex. I really miss my local shop.

But heck most people live in cities, so most people here should also live in cities with real computer shops. Yet all I hear is Newgg, Amazon, etc...

For much of the country local computer shops are dead. Unless you have a micro center or live in NYC with B&H Photo and video you have no options. Tiger direct used to be a thing here but they are gone.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, you're fairly lucky if you live in a town or city with a real local PC shop, that didn't close at the end of 2000s. Many little mom & pop places closed down.

My town still has one, not that I need their services, usually, I'm pretty competent myself, and if I really get stuck, ask here on the forum. But I talked to the owner once, he seems like a pretty brilliant guy, probably higher IQ than myself (and mine's not low), but it sounded like he's got running a business down too, which is something that I've never quite mastered.

Anyways, great respect to him, and I wish him and his business well. I never even really thought about stopping by and inquiring about having him pick me up an RTX 3080. Surely, he builds gaming PCs, he must have some connections. (The store's been around for a few years now, he's obviously doing something right.)

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
For much of the country local computer shops are dead. Unless you have a micro center or live in NYC with B&H Photo and video you have no options. Tiger direct used to be a thing here but they are gone.

It seems Canadian Cities with near 100K or larger populations where I lived or friends live still have computer shops. I just assumed this was the norm for years, and until I moved to the wilderness I never bothered with mail order.

The town of <8K population where I live now does not, but it never did... So I have to start using Mail order. :(