Question RTX 2070 Super or Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+

Zero Two

Dec 1, 2019
Hello, I am wondering what is a good GPU for VR. I looked at Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+ and it looks absolutely stunning and gorgeous. I also looked at its performance and thats nothing to laugh at. However, I have always been using nvidia as my gpu, and I don't know which to choose now. I am looking to get into VR.

tajoh111

Mar 28, 2005
This review suggests that those cards are roughly equal. Prices equal I would choose the 2070S of course

https://babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-the-rtx-2060-super-vs-the-rx-5700-xt-vs-the-rtx-2070-super/

The review says the 2060, 5700 xt and the 2070 super are in the same class but looking at the performance in the review, the 2070 super is faster for sure in VR. it won in most of the games. Out of the 12 games, the 5700xt(the maxed out anniversary edition too), won in only 2 games but only winning significantly in 1 game(4.7%). The standard 2070 super won in the remaining games it was by bigger margins with 6 out of the 9 wins being in the double digits. Saying they are roughly equal is being way to generous to the 5700 xt.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The review says the 2060, 5700 xt and the 2070 super are in the same class but looking at the performance in the review, the 2070 super is faster for sure in VR. it won in most of the games. Out of the 12 games, the 5700xt(the maxed out anniversary edition too), won in only 2 games but only winning significantly in 1 game(4.7%). The standard 2070 super won in the remaining games it was by bigger margins with 6 out of the 9 wins being in the double digits. Saying they are roughly equal is being way to generous to the 5700 xt.

The 2070S is a bit faster in these tests, but its not enough to allow it to run higher settings. With the 5700XT being so much cheaper its the better choice for many users.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
With VR reviews you need to pay attention to Synthetic Frames, when you get them the VR experience suffers greatly. It's effectively running at 45fps instead of 90fps when those synthetic frames are being generated.

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
Would be good to mention what prices you're able to get them at. I am a bit biased against the nitro+ since newegg bumped up the price around launch and I felt slighted somehow. I ended up with a pulse 5700xt i got used for 330+. If they are $50 apart or close to that I would probably think the Super is better.

Zero Two

Dec 1, 2019
Would be good to mention what prices you're able to get them at. I am a bit biased against the nitro+ since newegg bumped up the price around launch and I felt slighted somehow. I ended up with a pulse 5700xt i got used for 330+. If they are $50 apart or close to that I would probably think the Super is better.

I live in Sweden and managed to grab a Nitro+ for about 400$, 2070 S cost 465$ for me. I could afford Super but I had to spend money on other stuff like new ram, so I was being a bit picky about prices. Hopefully that wont bite me... xD

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
When you get in the mood, you can undervolt that beast for improved temps/noise. I’d drop some clocks too, in order to find that perfect efficiency. Google it, if interested.

Although, the regular Pulse would have been a better/cheaper design (likely the best budget card for 1440p). They overengineered Nitro for only like ~5% more performance, not worth the extra power draw, imo. I haven’t tested it myself, but according to TPU, it draws more far power than reference design. AMD drivers still getting up to speed, though. Curious how it will do in 5 years time, considering real time ray racing will be the standard by then and RDNA2/PS5 is due next year, allegedly with hardware RTRT support, but right now it’s a good card for DX12/Vulkan titles.

Attachments

• B8FD0CE6-129C-42D6-BF03-62F312ACE8B4.png
    B8FD0CE6-129C-42D6-BF03-62F312ACE8B4.png
    63 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: Zero Two

Zero Two

Dec 1, 2019
When you get in the mood, you can undervolt that beast for improved temps/noise. I’d drop some clocks too, in order to find that perfect efficiency. Google it, if interested.

Although, the regular Pulse would have been a better/cheaper design (likely the best budget card for 1440p). They overengineered Nitro for only like ~5% more performance, not worth the extra power draw, imo. I haven’t tested it myself, but according to TPU, it draws more far power than reference design. AMD drivers still getting up to speed, though. Curious how it will do in 5 years time, considering real time ray racing will be the standard by then and RDNA2/PS5 is due next year, allegedly with hardware RTRT support, but right now it’s a good card for DX12/Vulkan titles.

Thanks :D yeah I got the nitro for a good deal and it looks really nice, so I thought why not. Now I just pray it will deliver the performance everyone says it will xd

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Curious how it will do in 5 years time, considering real time ray racing will be the standard by then and RDNA2/PS5 is due next year, allegedly with hardware RTRT support, but right now it’s a good card for DX12/Vulkan titles.

That's incredibly optimistic. I don't expect real time ray tracing to be used outside of for a few limited effects or smaller games for at least a decade.

If you look at recent history, roughly 5 years ago the best card you could buy was a GTX 980 for $550. Today a card with a similar number of cores and of similar die size is a 2060 Super which runs about $400. Granted those two chips see a much larger performance gap due to higher clock speeds as well as nearly twice the memory bandwidth on top of additional hardware improvements, but a lot of that performance gets eaten up by higher resolutions and more demanding graphics. If you want to just compare raw performance in modern games then a 1660 will get similar performance for around $225 or about half the price.

The 2080 Ti is really the only card that's capable of utilizing ray tracing without making massive sacrifices to frame rates or resolution. Five years from now that level of performance is still going to be too expensive for mainstream consumers and may well still cost more than an entire console if we just assume that in another 5 years a 2080 Ti equivalent will cost about $600.