RTS Challenge

Seaking

Apr 20, 2015
The RTS genre has brought much joy to many people over the years. There are just so many types out there. A couple of my personal favorites are Anno 2070, and Tropico 5. They had their bugs and while I hadn't played the original Anno games I had the played the earlier Tropico series. My Challenge is finding a game that has many of the same elements as these two. Primarily the economy management of Tropico 5, along with a more robust version of its military elements that were available from its multiplayer. I like its simplified economy and how military maintenance was simply part of the budget. I also enjoy how it only had one form of currency compared to games like Age of Empires or Stronghold in which you needed to have multiple things to acquire a unit (wood,meat,gold,etc). Is there a game like this or am I to be left hanging?

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I haven't played it and its not full release yet but offworld trading company may be like that

Seaking

Apr 20, 2015
I have offworld trading company. Its not what I'm looking for. It lacks the extra military element. Thanks for the suggestion though.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Personally, I barely classify Anno as an RTS. It's as much of a city builder as it is an RTS. There's not many games in that niche.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Does it have to be a PC game? There are a whole host of games like this on Android/iOS. Build your village, harvest materials, research and build your army and go raid other people's villages. DomiNations is the newest I have found, also check out Clash of Clans, Samurai Siege, Castle Clash. Among numerous others of the same style. Each has positives and negatives, I have yet to find the perfect game.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
If you're looking for a challenging RTS, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance would fit the bill. It's a streaming economy so expanding quickly while preventing an economic stall is key to being successful.