RSA-576 has been successfully factored?

Chipster22

Oct 9, 1999
Neo's website says that the RSA-576 challenge has been solved by a different group and that Neo is now moving on to RSA-640

Can anyone confirm that RSA-576 is done? Who else was working on this?

Frankly, I'd like a little confirmation before I believe what I read on the Neo site at this point.
rolleye.gif

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
RSA isn't saying anything, but they might just be a bit slow in posting the info.

Chipster22

Oct 9, 1999
I sent an e-mail to RSA Security asking whether the 576 Challenge was factored. I received this reply.

RSA-576 has not been factored. The Neo Project found a way to express
RSA-576 as the sum of three squares, but not the prime factors of RSA-576.

The RSA Challenge requires the prime factors.

Thanks for checking.

-- Burt

Burt Kaliski, Director and Chief Scientist
RSA Laboratories - http://www.rsasecurity.com

So why was Neo claiming the challenge had been solved by someone else?

I normally favor letting each TA member choose whatever project they want to run, but in this case I think Neo no longer deserves any of our support.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Chipster22
I sent an e-mail to RSA Security asking whether the 576 Challenge was factored. I received this reply.

RSA-576 has not been factored. The Neo Project found a way to express
RSA-576 as the sum of three squares, but not the prime factors of RSA-576.

The RSA Challenge requires the prime factors.

Thanks for checking.

-- Burt

Burt Kaliski, Director and Chief Scientist
RSA Laboratories - http://www.rsasecurity.com

So why was Neo claiming the challenge had been solved by someone else?

I normally favor letting each TA member choose whatever project they want to run, but in this case I think Neo no longer deserves any of our support.

Go figure - Neo screwing up? - yeah right
rolleye.gif

CkG

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com

this certainly casts more negativity onto the project owners, seems very unprofessional at the least :/

Chipster22

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: InverseOfNeo
Wow almost as good as Sengent for D2OL.
rolleye.gif

[rant mode on]

Sengent is miles ahead of Neo, IMHO.

Sengent never tried start a probably illegal and arguably unethical project like cracking Micrsoft's Xbox.
rolleye.gif

Sengent never decided to reset the stats out of the blue, then decided to vote on it, then claimed the project was solved by someone else when apparently it hasn't been.
rolleye.gif

Sengent seems to have a clue about the science they are trying to study. Judging from the client changes, and comments on Neo's forums, Neo doesn't possess this clue about the math involved in their own crypto project. Many claim the Neo project would take billions of years to find the answer the way it is going about it. (I don't claim to have a clue about either the science of Sengent or the math of Neo, so you may consider this point hear-say.)
rolleye.gif

Sengent's main problems have been server and stats problems along with a lack of communication. Neo also had problems with loosing WU's earlier. Neo's communication suffers because I don't believe they even know what they are going to do from one day to the next.
rolleye.gif

[\rant mode off]

Sorry for the rant, but I need to vent. I'm feeling much better now. :D

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
Now they have put up on their page that they are fully moving to the XBox project. I think we should write them off and not waste any more resources on this project. They haven't been able to decide what they are going to do, they have reset statistics and generally show that they don't really care about the volunteers who make the project possible. In short, they stink and we should avoid them like the plague ;)

InverseOfNeo

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: InverseOfNeo Wow almost as good as Sengent for D2OL.
rolleye.gif
[rant mode on] Sengent is miles ahead of Neo, IMHO. Sengent never tried start a probably illegal and arguably unethical project like cracking Micrsoft's Xbox.
rolleye.gif
Sengent never decided to reset the stats out of the blue, then decided to vote on it, then claimed the project was solved by someone else when apparently it hasn't been.
rolleye.gif
Sengent seems to have a clue about the science they are trying to study. Judging from the client changes, and comments on Neo's forums, Neo doesn't possess this clue about the math involved in their own crypto project. Many claim the Neo project would take billions of years to find the answer the way it is going about it. (I don't claim to have a clue about either the science of Sengent or the math of Neo, so you may consider this point hear-say.)
rolleye.gif
Sengent's main problems have been server and stats problems along with a lack of communication. Neo also had problems with loosing WU's earlier. Neo's communication suffers because I don't believe they even know what they are going to do from one day to the next.
rolleye.gif
[\rant mode off] Sorry for the rant, but I need to vent. I'm feeling much better now. :D

in the words of Neo "whoa!"