RS-232 Connection Problem

Ctarantino

Nov 27, 2006
Hey Everyone,

I have been trying to figure out how to shut down an LG - 37LC2D screen using RS-232 Serial connections which connect to the COM port on my Dell Optiplex 745. I have a RS-232C 6 foot cable from Radio Shack and a Null Modem Adapter for the cable. I have talked to LG tech support and they don't know how to help me. Their solution is to send me to a website they have to download a RS-232 code generator which is supposed to pass the code over to screen if connected, but it doesn't work.

I need to know how i can start troubleshooting this problem. Is there a way to check and see if my computer is connecting to the TV? If that works then how can i see if im sending the correct commands?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

PS- here is the manual for the screen - http://us.lge.com/download/product/file/1000000968/37LC2D_Manual.pdf

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
See the user manual starting on page 54 for all the info you need.
It even has examples of the command format you need to send to the set

Ctarantino

Nov 27, 2006
Thanks for your reply....I have looked at the manual and its a little hard to follow. Im not sure how to intrepret it.....

For example:

It says in the manual that the code to shut down the power is represented like this

[k][a][ ][Set ID][ ][Data][Cr]

But do i use the brackets or would the code be "ka 1 0" with the set ID being 1 and the Data being 1 for Power off (which by the way is the code the LG told me to use).

My problem is really more of im not sure if the device is connected or not and im not sure how to tell if it is.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Yes you do use the brackets .. no space between the commands ..use set ID 0 unless
you have set a specific set ID in the setup menu

Ctarantino

Nov 27, 2006
i tried using this code with Advanced Serial Port Monitor to send the string of code to the LCD screen.

[k][a][1][1][Cr]

This didn't work....what im not sure what value is supposed to go for [Cr]

I know it stands for Carriage Return but i don't know what to do with it from there.

How can i tell that Advanced Serial Port Monitor is sending the information string to the TV and that the TV is recieving it?