Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.01 says WAV are not audio files

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by rw120555, Jun 20, 2001.

1. rw120555

rw120555 Golden Member

I've posted this in several places and so far no luck -- thought I'd take one last shot and try this forum.

When I use Easy CD Creator 5.01 to create an audio cd, it tells me wav files are not audio files; it only recognizes file with .mp3 and .wma extensions. Also, the software won't let me preview .mp3 files.

Further, I have a second machine with the same software installed, and it does NOT have this problem. And, I'm pretty sure the software used to work ok on the machine that now has the problem.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, but no luck. I've also uninstalled other cd-related software (e.g. Windows Media Player 7.1, Musicmatch 6.0, Winamp).

My guess is that some other software somehow zapped easy cd, and it is staying zapped even after uninstalling and reinstalling. Perhaps there is a corrupted file somewhere, or maybe there is a problematic key in the registry.

But, other than a complete reinstall of windows, I don't know what might solve this. I wrote to Roxio, and they told me to uninstall and then zap a few registry keys and a few directories that get left behind, and then reinstall. But, no luck. Then they told me to do a complete windows reinstall. I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it, and it would be really maddening to do that if things still did not work.

I have other software that can write audio cds, but this is still an annoying problem. If anyone has a solution, I'd love to hear it. Thanks. RW

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Roxio Easy Creator Forum Date
    Dell Roxio DVD decoder Computer Help Nov 25, 2013
    Roxio - Virus?? Computer Help Aug 16, 2010
    How do I get Nero's imagedrive to not crash w/ adaptec/(roxio?) ez cd-creator Computer Help Mar 17, 2005
    System lockup with NEC-3520A & Roxio Easy Media Creator Basic DVD Computer Help Mar 4, 2005
    Need help with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Computer Help Nov 13, 2001

3. Slikkster

Slikkster Diamond Member

please type the EXACT error, letter for letter.

4. rw120555

rw120555 Golden Member

Here are the messages I get, using Easy CD Creator. When trying to create an audio CD, and the program is set to show Audio files only, I get the message "There are no audio files in this folder" when I open a folder that has .wav files in it.

If I set the program to show all files, I of course see the wav files. If I try to drag one of those wav files down to the part of the window where it says to add tracks and audio files here, I get the message

"The [whateverthefilename is].wav has an unrecognized file extension. Valid extensions are .MP3 .WMA. Please select a file with one of these extensions."

And, it refuses to let me add the .wav file.

Finally, for good measure, it will let me add files with a .mp3 extension. But, if I try to preview an mp3 file, I get the message

"The file [whateverthefilenameis].mp3 is of an unknown or unsupported format."

Like I said before, another machine with the software installed does not have these problems. I think something has somehow gotten zapped, but uninstalls and re-installs of EasyCd and other CD-related software has not solved the problem. I even tried going back to EasyCD 4.02 and had similar problems. I suspect I'm doomed to a re-install of everything if I want this to work right, but it seems like there ought to be some simpler option. Thanks for any advice. RW.

5. Slikkster

Slikkster Diamond Member

After a little checking, it appears it might be an audio "codec" problem on your pc. Take a look at the following thread in a newsgroup. It's a similar problem this person had, only with mp3 files instead of wav files. A dude from Roxio support (his email address is in the thread) was able to pinpoint the issue. See if there's anything useful, then give him a holler for more specific info:

Google Newsgroup Thread

6. rw120555

rw120555 Golden Member

Thanks Slikkster. I gave it a try, but the problem persists. This is a pretty stubborn problem. I've been thinking for a long time that I should reinstall my system from scratch anyway, so maybe this will give me the motivation to do so. RW

7. Slikkster

Slikkster Diamond Member

I didn't mean to imply that the particular codec mentioned in the newsgroup would solve your problem...if you haven't completely reinstalled yet, I'd check all the codecs listed on your working machines and compare them to the list you have on your non-working ez cd machine and see if there are any missing.

8. rw120555

rw120555 Golden Member

Good idea, Slikkster. Come to think of it, it might be tempting to compare the registry entries, maybe even export the keys from the working machine and importing them into the dysfunctional one. I could also see how the contents of the program dirs compare. I'll make sure I have backups first though. The hardware for both machines is quite similar, but there are a lot fewer programs on the working machine, and it was recently rebuilt from scratch. RW

9. Slikkster

Slikkster Diamond Member

While you're at it, check your Win.ini file (you can open it easily with notepad or sysedit.exe). There's a lot of "MCI" extensions listed there, and that section might be amiss on your one machine. You might want to cut and paste your [mci extensions] section from a working machine to the non-working machine. Obviously, delete the section you have in your non-working machine first (or better yet, cut it and copy it to a text file and back it up somewhere). For instance, my mci section in win.ini looks like this:

[mci extensions]
    mid=Sequencer
    rmi=Sequencer
    wav=waveaudio
    avi=AVIVideo
    cda=CDAudio
    aif=MPEGVideo
    aifc=MPEGVideo
    aiff=MPEGVideo
    au=MPEGVideo
    m1v=MPEGVideo
    m3u=MPEGVideo
    midi=Sequencer
    mov=MPEGVideo
    mp2=dvdvidex
    mp3=MPEGVideo
    mpa=dvdvidex
    mpe=MPEGVideo
    mpeg=MPEGVideo
    mpg=REELmagic
    mpv2=MPEGVideo
    qt=MPEGVideo
    snd=MPEGVideo
    asf=MPEGVideo2
    asx=MPEGVideo2
    ivf=MPEGVideo2
    lsf=MPEGVideo2
    lsx=MPEGVideo2
    mp2v=MPEGVideo
    wax=MPEGVideo2
    wvx=MPEGVideo2
    wm=MPEGVideo2
    wma=MPEGVideo2
    wmv=MPEGVideo2
    wmx=MPEGVideo2
    wmp=MPEGVideo2
    vpg=dvdvidex
    apg=dvdvidex
    mpv=dvdvidex
    prg=dvdvidex
    m2v=dvdvidex
    vob=REELmagic
    ac3=REELmagic
    ifo=REELmagic
    vbs=REELmagic
    abs=REELmagic
    dat=REELmagic
    rmg=REELmagic

My other MCI section looks like this:

[MCICompatibility]
    QTWVideo=0x0001
    MCIXSND=0x0001
    GDAnim=0x0001

Now, DON'T cut/paste MY section, because my hardware is different than yours. Just find yours in your working machine and paste to your non-working ez cd machine.

Also, look at your System.ini file. There's some multimedia settings there, too. For instance, here's a relevant section from my system.ini file:

[drivers32]
    msacm.lhacm=lhacm.acm
    VIDC.VDOM=vdowave.drv
    MSACM.imaadpcm=imaadp32.acm
    MSACM.msadpcm=msadp32.acm
    MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm
    msacm.msg711=msg711.acm
    MSACM.trspch=tssoft32.acm
    vidc.CVID=iccvid.dll
    VIDC.IV31=ir32_32.dll
    VIDC.IV32=ir32_32.dll
    vidc.MSVC=msvidc32.dll
    VIDC.MRLE=msrle32.dll
    msacm.msg723=msg723.acm
    vidc.M263=msh263.drv
    vidc.M261=msh261.drv
    VIDC.IV50=ir50_32.dll
    msacm.iac2=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IAC25_32.AX
    MSACM.ixjacm=ixjacm.acm
    msacm.msaudio1=msaud32.acm
    msacm.sl_anet=sl_anet.acm
    msacm.voxacm160=vct3216.acm
    msacm.l3acm=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\L3CODECA.ACM
    VIDC.PIM1=PCLEPIM1.DLL
    VIDC.IV41=ir41_32.ax
    VIDC.PIXL=PCLEpixl.dll
    VIDC.I420=vdrcodec.dll
    VIDC.VIXL=Miroxl32.dll
    REELDRV=IMPEG32.DLL
    MCIFMP=MCIFMP32.DLL

And here's other relevant sections from system.ini:

[drivers]
    wavemapper=*.drv
    MSACM.imaadpcm=*.acm
    MSACM.msadpcm=*.acm
    MSVIDEO=vcthkavi.drv
    wave=mmsystem.dll
    midi=mmsystem.dll

[mci]
    cdaudio=mcicda.drv
    sequencer=mciseq.drv
    waveaudio=mciwave.drv
    avivideo=mciavi.drv
    videodisc=mcipionr.drv
    vcr=mcivisca.drv
    MPEGVIDEO=MCIFMP16.DRV
    MPEGVideo2=mciqtz.drv
    overlay=mci4cap.drv
    dvdvidex=mcicinem.drv DVD
    REELmagic=MCIFMP16.DRV

So, that's 3 sections in system.ini that might be causing you problems in system.ini..."[drivers]", "[drivers32]", and "[mci]"

These might be sections you might want to cut/paste from your working machines to see if they help, or atleast look at the differences between the two side by side.