Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Hajime, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Hajime

Hajime Senior member

Dear AT,

I've been out of the network game for years. What I'm looking for is simple however. I want the best router with the following criteria:

Sub-$200
    Dual USB ports (Pref 3.0) with Samba-or-similar sharing - This is a big one. If I can find a router that can do this at 100 MB/sec (~800mbps, my current wired network achieves this with a Linux box as a router, but I want to repurpose it) or even 75 MB/sec (~600mbps), it would be my dream router.
    Faster is better with wireless.
    Flashable - DD-WRT compatibility or similar.
    Gigabit ports. I'd vastly prefer 8, but I can make do with 4.

The Asus Dark Knight seems to be everything I ever wanted in a router - sadly, it has USB 2.0 ports, but I have my doubts it can exceed the transfer rates of USB 2.0 over the network due to the relatively slow processor. I was wondering if there was anything better on the market?

2. kbp

kbp Senior member

Asus RT-N66U - But USB 2 ^
    I use it to backup two computers (laptop/desktop) one being wireless to a drive caddy and have no complaints.

#2 kbp, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  3. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

In general the Asus RT-N66U is probably the best.

FWIW, the Asus RT-N65U has USB3.

:cool:

4. tyler811

tyler811 Diamond Member

I have the Asus RT-N16 with the two usb ports though it is usb 2.0 and I love it. I have my movies on two 1 TB HDD and stream them through the network flawlessly.

I am looking at the 66 but cannot justify bying a new one since the one I have is working fine (knocking on woood)

#4 tyler811, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. NXIL

NXIL Senior member

6. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Thanks for sharing. Interesting products, certainly.

I was a little disappointed to read one of the newegg reviews, that claimed that they had a very small list of "qualified" external HDs that would work with these devices. User claim he had 10 different ones, and none of them worked. I supposed that could have been down to user error (not reformatting with Router/NAS filesystem), but you would kind of think you could just plug any external portable HDD into it and make it work.