Question Router+WAPs or all WAPs.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Right now, I have a TP Link Archer C7 v2 AC1750 router that is providing both Wifi and handling my network setup. Wifi coverage in my place isn't great, the router is in the (semi-above ground) basement in one corner of the house and coverage is spotty on the main floor opposite side, as well as in the detached garage about 50m away.
I have runs of 5e out to the garage and to the other end of the house main floor, and was looking at putting a couple TP Link EAP245 or EAP225 access points there on the same SSID.

My question is whether that would be the optimal situation, or would I be better using three WAP and configuring them with the Omada software to run my wifi (with the Archer maybe running guest WiFi or something)? It's obviously a 50% increase in solution cost to run another WAP, but I'm not sure if I'll lose features like the seamless roaming touted by the access points all being managed by the common software platform if I keep the central AC1750 router.
The C7 v2 is running up to date but stock FW, FWIW.

beersy

Nov 1, 2011
A controllerized setup would be more seamless, usually with different autonomous APs you get weird client behavior such as clinging on to a low signal AP even though there's a higher RSSI one nearby. Up to you if that's worth the price premium.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Omada is their control software for their SMB line. It doesn't work with my consumer TP Link router though.

I might just pick up two EAP-245's, and try it with just two APs, and two + router to see how it behaves. Who knows, I might even be ok with the two APs if the one is centrally located in my home.