Router Troubles

maevardabar

Sep 29, 2009
Hello.

I am having troubles with my router. I recently have had issues with my router. While using the PING google.com -t command, I have found that I have very erratic numbers, ranging from 50-350. This also appears when playing any sort of game of course. Very annoying. Anyway, I have plugged my computer directly into my cable modem, and my internet is fine. The problem seems to be with the router. But I have tried 2 different routers, both with the same results. Also, I have two computers hooked up to the router, but when isolating the computers to the modem by itself, both result in having fine connections. When isolating them on the router, the connections turned to crap. The problem does not seem to be the computers. I also reset both routers to the factory default and still no help there. There does not seem to be any reason why I am having these erratic pings. I don't understand. Thanks in advance.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
If it's wireless, then that can cause the flakiness. It's unreliable and massively variable. Otherwise make sure you don't have peer-2-peer going on as that can overwhelm a router making it sluggish.

The other thing would be cabling and duplex mismatch. Make sure NICs are set to autonegotiate speed duplex.