Router switching question

Estam

Sep 27, 2007
Hi all. My laptop I can boot remotely with a "wake on lan" app on my smart phone which works well. The problem I'm having is that it will boot in the middle of the night, never heard of this problem so my question is: I have a Xfinity (Arris TG1682G) router that is hard wired to the laptop and wonder if there is a way to time out the ethernet connection to that individual laptop between certain times at night. Many thanks for any suggestions.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Just stating "I can WOL from my wireless phone App" is meaningless stnence.

You have to give some info about the process and network's component that it is going through.

:cool:

Estam

Sep 27, 2007
I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this question. I downloaded an app by Mike Webb, the first on the list Google Store. Followed the instructions and it operated correctly.

My laptop is a HP DV-7 using XP sp3 and I'm not quite sure what else I can say. When I hibernate sometimes it boots up middle of the night with no command from me.

I am using XP, which I have alway been happy with, sorry, for years.... I have been using a trading system for years also which has worked flawlessly for years on XP which when on Win 7 irritates me to know end.

Just wondering as an easy fix to enable a feature, if it exists, to shut down the LAN to this particular laptop between certain hours.

Sorry for the meaningless sentence...

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
So even though there aren't too many bad things out there for xp, there's still a way for it to happen. If you need to use xp, I would suggest looking into windows steadystate for xp (microsoft product), time freez, or reboot restore rx to make sure your xp isn't getting any malware and keeping it.

It is quite disturbing that your system is waking up, and I really don't think its because of the wol as I have some thin clients that fall asleep sometimes and need the 'magic packet' to wake them up, and it takes a few times before they actually wake up. I suspect something is actually trying to call out and is waking up to do so versus waking the system.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had that happen with one of my laptops, a Lenovo with AMD small-core APU. It would "wake up" after falling asleep / hibernating. I don't know if it would wake from hibernate, but it would often wake from sleep on it's own, and not actually hibernate after a period of dis-use, like I wanted. I had to tweak the "Advanced Power Management" settings.