Router Attached USB-NAS (Tomato Shibby Firmware)

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
I got a Belkin N600 HD router with two USB ports, the router is running tomato shibby firmware and upon checking the USB/NAS options when I plug in two USB hard-drives it does recognize them and mount them to some /tmp/mnt/directory

My issue is I am not able to figure out how to mount these locations in windows 7

I tried mapping as network drive in my computer with //192.168.1.1/tmp/mnt/directory & just //tmp/mnt/directory and router credentials and its not working...

I even tried to map it as a network resource both with and out-without the router address..... what am I missing here? [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Is that router using Samba?
When you browse locations in the networking, what do you see? I am guessing you should see you PC, then your router, and you double click router, and it should show the share (the HD).
You may have to set the workgroup on the samaba share to be the same as the one on your PC.

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Is that router using Samba?
When you browse locations in the networking, what do you see? I am guessing you should see you PC, then your router, and you double click router, and it should show the share (the HD).
You may have to set the workgroup on the samaba share to be the same as the one on your PC.

I utilize virtualbox on my main Desktop PC.... both belong to WORKGROUP.

When I browse my network it shows them, but in the settings of my router under 'device list' it shows the interface for both these items (Virtualbox Machine, Desktop PC) in the same workgroup as 'br0' where-as the "router" device is listed as part of interface 'vlan2' with my outside IP address.... perhaps this is why I cannot see the USB devices plugged into the router?

I looked around the settings on my router and cannot find anywhere to designate the routers 'workgroup' but at this moment not changing anything my PC devices can all see each other and the only issue I am having is the USB attached devices (attached directly to router)... I can see them on the router config as being mounted and shared, just not able to browse to or see them on the PC's.....

Last edited:

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Oh, I think I found it... there was a samba page under the USB & NAS router section which shows my file sharing as disabled and allows me to turn it on and enable username/pass... ill post follow-up as soon as I change these settings & save...

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Well... that did it! Shows up as UNKNOWN when browse for network shares but If I expand that menu it shows the resources as mounted through the router and allows access with credentials setup. :) woohoo! Thx for the reply Elixer.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
ive been using ftp to share with my e3000's usb stick. 8gb isn't much space, but its more the dropbox! :D i wouldn't mind getting it to show up as a network share though...

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Works......... just had to find the right menu within the routers firmware to enable file sharing and setup authentication. Now it pops right up.

I really needed to finally upgrade to a wireless router (as i was still operating off wired) and I snagged the Belkin N600 HD from amazon on a sale (alot of people said it was a crap router with horrible software/firmware) but tons said they had wonderful success with it upon unboxing and just installing tomato shibby on it, so thats exactly what I did, I couldnt' be happier. plus its got two USB 2.0 ports..

THey're not 3.0 but 2.0 works fine for me... I couldn't be happier with the operation of this router. I highly recommend it, im sure you could find it cheap.