Router advice/recommendation

ChasinJason

Oct 7, 2017
Need a new router for my 3 story home (modem in basement). Only wired connection will be my Xbox and I have 10-12 wireless devices. My ISP delivers 500MB.

Really enjoy my Xbox so would a gaming router provide benefits or is it negligible because of the wired connection?

Little out of my element so any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
What is a "gaming router"? That sounds like a marketing slogan. (Lies, damned lies, statistics, ......... and marketing.)

A "router" relays traffic between two (or more) separate subnets.
A "switch" connects wired devices into same subnet.
An "access point" (AP) connects wireless (and wired) devices into same subnet.
One subnet can have multiple AP, if signal coverage requires that.

You have a modem, Xbox, wireless devices, and some wires. You need a "new something". What did you have before that you are now replacing?

ChasinJason

Oct 7, 2017
You have a modem, Xbox, wireless devices, and some wires. You need a "new something". What did you have before that you are now replacing?

Thanks for the reply. I've had a Netduma router for a few years. Recently my wireless devices continue to drop throughout the day and my connected Xbox bandwidth decreases significantly. Disconnecting the router and only uses the modem gives me a constant, fast connection to my Xbox. Netduma support can't figure out the issue so I'm looking into a new router.

ChasinJason

Oct 7, 2017
http://www.ign.com/articles/the-best-gaming-router-in-2017

But no matter how good a Wi-Fi router is, if you have thick brick walls, you have to expect poor signal and performance.

Seperate AP wired to the router might be needed depending your environment.

Thanks, been pouring over gaming router reviews but it seems much of the benefits are for gamers who use a wireless connection or the PC has specific network adapters, e.g. the Linksys WRT32X https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT32X/#product-features.

My Xbox is the only wired connection to the router's gigabit port and I've had my current router for a few years. The modem/router is in the basement and it's been fine getting signals to the 3rd floor rooms. Guessing if a new router has a problem then I'd use a repeater?

I definitely want a good router that can handle one wired Xbox and multiple wireless devices. But if the gaming routers provide benefits to my wired Xbox then I'll consider it.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I don't play games, what I know regarding gaming routers is that they provide some kind of QoS and specific setting for games in their database.

Whether they really provide better performance, I can't really tell.

But if you only care about wired gaming performance, I think the difference between router/gaming router is minimal.

Wireless connection adds a lot of latency vs wired connection.

ChasinJason

Oct 7, 2017
I don't play games, what I know regarding gaming routers is that they provide some kind of QoS and specific setting for games in their database.

Whether they really provide better performance, I can't really tell.

But if you only care about wired gaming performance, I think the difference between router/gaming router is minimal.

Wireless connection adds a lot of latency vs wired connection.

Thanks, based on the help here and my research I think my focus should be on QOS options and being able to handle a good range within a 3-story, 3400 sq.ft house. The Google wifi routers seem to perform well with excellent reviews. The 3-pack option will allow me to place one on each floor and with a family of 4 including 2 teenagers, the QOS options should come in handy managing their devices.

ChasinJason

Oct 7, 2017
According to this guy, you need Killer enabled devices to take advantage of Linksys WRT32X. Sadly, gaming console can't take advantage of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_THhDCt3drA

Yep, and since I only have a console I don't see the point in paying for a primary feature I'd never use. My 14-yr old son who games on his laptop will be disappointed by me not getting this but until he wants to pay the ISP bill he doesn't get a say in this discussion. :)

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
your not gonna get excellent coverage on any single router in a 3 story without placing Access points.

Even then id still recommend having 2 access points on each floor and router on one.

if you do go access points, id suggest you look at ubiquiti line with handoff features which automatically swaps to the stronger access point without you having to change wifi network each time u move location.

this is all marketing BS to charge nieve gamers more for the same product with possibly added aesthetic bling.

The best routers are enterprise... however they cost as much as a PC. Most high grade consumer routers will have QoS which you can set, and finding proper ports to forward is just looking it up in google.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If I were OP, I will drill holes and wire from 1st & 2nd floor back to basement, and buy 2 wireless routers ( ex. TP-Link router https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDLRHFW), connect them back to basement, and turn those 2 wireless routers into access point.

Now you not only have wireless connections, you also have wired connections on every floor.

===

Seems some people have issues with Google Wi-Fi, don't know if it's an early production issue or whether it's been fixed. So I don't recommends it.

Ubiquiti has been recommended by many people.

===

Here is a video about advertised speed vs real world speed about wireless router in case OP din't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ikGlgqulY

ChasinJason

Oct 7, 2017
Appreciate the comments. A major feature I'm looking for is prioritization of traffic for my Xbox (wired connection) so if I'm playing then activity from my family's wireless devices won't cause ping spikes in my game. However, I'm not a network expert so I'd need a UI that's pretty intuitive and one with a mobile UI would be great.

marvinbower

Aug 7, 2017
With so many connected devices in wireless you have to look to the best MU/MIMO router.
Few people realize that most of router even with multiple antennas just have one stream of wireless data.
That stream can only connect one device.
If you have multiple devices, that unique stream will connect the 1st device than disconnect and connect the 2nd device and so on.....
The you have very good router with 2 unique streams (2x2).
That means the first 2 devices act as they had the router dedicated.
Then there are the high end routers with 3 streams.
And then there are few top routers with 4 streams.
In Italy there is a very famous carrier/ISP that sell very high quality broadband (unfortunately only in Italy) that provides only 3x3 and 4x4 routers.
Using a good quality ISP (with high MCR) and routers like these makes the experience unparalleled.
Look for both things and you’ll never look back.