Roswill hub and WD HDD/flash drives

SGasan116

Nov 11, 2007
Hello, forum!

Connected my external WD HDD 4TB and three flash drives 32 & 16 & 4 MB to my HP laptop with Roswill 2.0 USB 7-ports hub.

Laptop didn't recognized them, no matter what I did - reboot, checked BIOS, check device manager. They were working perfectly fine just before I connected them to laptop through hub. I added a hub for convenience of switching, b/c laptop have only 2 usb ports.

I disconnected a hub and tried to connect HDD and flash drives directly to laptop, but now they're not recognized by laptop at all!
I tried again everything again: reboot, BIOS, device manager, uninstall USB drivers etc. Nothing!

I have very important and personal data on HDD and flash drives, and can't even think about lost of it. Is it possible that Roswill Hub fried something in my drives?

How I can save my information? What can be done? Please help, I’m really upset now.

P.S. Sorry for mistakes, English is my second language.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
One major question . . . is the Rosewill hub powered or unpowered?

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Does the hub show up in Device Manager? Does any thing work through that hub? If the hub's voltage exceeds the USB standard, it is possible for it to damage a USB device. Anyway you can check them with another computer?

SGasan116

Nov 11, 2007
I did check with another laptop, and nothing. I'll try another enclosure with WD HDD 4 tb, but what to do with flash drives?

SGasan116

Nov 11, 2007
I did check with another laptop, and nothing. I'll try another enclosure with WD HDD 4 tb, but what to do with flash drives?

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
If the flash drives do not show in the other laptop, they are most likely damaged by a power surge or improper removal from a USB port. There are companies that specialize in data recovery of such drives. You can also try this: http://www.easeus.com/resource/drive/usb-flash-drive.htm

Gnerally speaking, flash drives are not reliable and should not be used as the sole source for valuable data.

I have never used larger than a 4-port hub on a laptop. I have used 7 port hubs regularly on two desktops and never had a problem.