Ross Perot called it in 1992

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkgx1C_S6ls

Unfortunately for Perot, he turned on his beliefs about 10 years ago and became a greedy pig like the rest of them. This disaster was predicted 20 years ago but the sad thing is that people still don't get it. Our masters have fooled some of the masses into thinking we can compete globally with China and their $1 hour wages and no regulations and we should stoop that low. Do you realize how stupid you look right now attacking pensions, health care benefits etc... In 20-30 years, you won't have shit. You'll be in your 60's slaving away because you sure as hell aren't retiring on a worthless 401k and high prices with a stagnant wage. Keep digging your own hole with your jealously by wanting us to compete globally.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Sounds like you're trying to make a partisan issue out of something that isn't. Neither the Republicans or Democrats have trade barriers as part of their platform. Democrats blame the lack of health care and pensions on "Republicans attacking it" and Republicans blame it on Democrats' over-taxation or regulations. Both forget that the cause of the problem is a race to the bottom with the third world.

Last edited:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

Unfortunately for Perot, he turned on his beliefs about 10 years ago and became a greedy pig like the rest of them. This disaster was predicted 20 years ago but the sad thing is that people still don't get it. Our masters have fooled some of the masses into thinking we can compete globally with China and their $1 hour wages and no regulations and we should stoop that low. Do you realize how stupid you look right now attacking pensions, health care benefits etc... In 20-30 years, you won't have shit. You'll be in your 60's slaving away because you sure as hell aren't retiring on a worthless 401k and high prices with a stagnant wage. Keep digging your own hole with your jealously by wanting us to compete globally.

China isn't competitive with their $1 wages. They are competitive with their $1 wages and their artificially suppressed currency.

In order to become competitive we need to depress the dollar and eliminate these benefits. Your "worthless" 401k is effectively the same as your pension, minus the 100% put back to the company for a practically unlimited amount. It's amazing you think that being able to guarantee people X% return for 40 years, regardless of the economy or stock market, is a viable alternative.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Sounds like you're trying to make a partisan issue out of something that isn't. Neither the Republicans or Democrats have trade barriers as part of their platform. Democrats blame the lack of health care and pensions on "Republicans attacking it" and Republicans blame it on Democrats' over-taxation or regulations. Both forget that the cause of the problem is a race to the bottom with the third world.

WTF? He mentioned parties no where in his op.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Anyone who has taken an economic class knows this. Cutting taxes on companies won't make them "love" us and return. The third world labor is much more desirable to them then any tax cut.

The alternative is obviously to cut out all of our labor regulations and keep the jobs here but who wants to do that right?

The bottom line is either we stoop down to the third world level and compete or other countries come up in affluence level and make the companies indifferent to where they employ people. The way things are going right now we are probably going to hit the medium between the two. Of course I think that over time businesses will start moving deeper into Asia(Utilizing countries other than China and India for most of the work) and then perhaps even into Africa for cheap labor so it will take a long time to transition.

Anything I wrote above is pure speculation, feel free to correct/argue any part of it.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Anyone who has taken an economic class knows this. Cutting taxes on companies won't make them "love" us and return. The third world labor is much more desirable to them then any tax cut.

The alternative is obviously to cut out all of our labor regulations and keep the jobs here but who wants to do that right?

The bottom line is either we stoop down to the third world level and compete or other countries come up in affluence level and make the companies indifferent to where they employ people. The way things are going right now we are probably going to hit the medium between the two. Of course I think that over time businesses will start moving deeper into Asia(Utilizing countries other than China and India for most of the work) and then perhaps even into Africa for cheap labor so it will take a long time to transition.

Anything I wrote above is pure speculation, feel free to correct/argue any part of it.

we could tariff foreign goods originating from countries whose standards of living are far far below ours to make domestically produced goods more competitive price wise.

yes it drives price up, but it makes manufacturing/producing here more attractive.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I wonder how the average Chinese worker will fare when they get to retirement age... do they have retirement plans also?

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Aww, yes, the words of Ross Perot. I remember them well, listen, can you hear it? " it's that giant sucking sound ".

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011

Damn, even takes a shot on lobbyists. Awesome.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Don't people who work for the toyota plants in the southern US get paid up to $25/hr + benefits and good working conditions? No one would work for anyone if the condititions weren't good. Besides, there need to be jobs other than manufacturing that are desirable. A while back weren't the people at GM getting paid ($80/hr + benefits) so much that they nearly went out of business?

It seems like no one remembers Henry Ford and his welfare capitalism. No one has a right to a job or good wages anyway.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't people who work for the toyota plants in the southern US get paid up to $25/hr + benefits and good working conditions? No one would work for anyone if the condititions weren't good. Besides, there need to be jobs other than manufacturing that are desirable. A while back weren't the people at GM getting paid ($80/hr + benefits) so much that they nearly went out of business?

It seems like no one remembers Henry Ford and his welfare capitalism. No one has a right to a job or good wages anyway.

Maybe the CEO and executive staff? Workers on the plant floors? Maybe it was $80 including benefits, not "+" benefits.

Nov 29, 2006
Ross Perot and Ron Paul are a lot alike in that they both make sense. That is why they never stand/stood a real chance at being elected. I was pissed when he just dropped out of the race back then for no apparent reason.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008

im not exactly sure your political position but im definitely against ridiculous government pensions. no one in private industry retires at 55 with 80% of their pay. no wonder this country is in trouble. i dont care though, this country is getting what it deserves

D-Man

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 1999
All I can hear when the name Perot is spoken is a Large Sucking Sound

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
It only took 9 years for people to listen to him? I'm impressed. I remember at the time he showed charts and graphs and the neanderthal voting public just drooled couldn't understand a word of it. Meanwhile 9 year old kids (who are now 18 ;)) probably could understand such simple concepts.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It only took 9 years for people to listen to him? I'm impressed. I remember at the time he showed charts and graphs and the neanderthal voting public just drooled couldn't understand a word of it. Meanwhile 9 year old kids (who are now 18 ;)) probably could understand such simple concepts.

19 years, not 9, unless I'm missing something.