rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Just wondering if anyone here uses Roon audio and what you thought of it. I”m demoing it now.
I guess if I get it I”m going to have to clean up my tags because they are a mess. Wish it had browse by folder.
Other than that it looks pretty good., minus the 500 dollar price tag.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The Crutchfield write-up makes it sound interesting, especially how it works with all the different kinds of multi-room speakers and audio devices.

I do most of my listening in my home office with a jukebox PC and Foobar 2000 so I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost.

Reactions: rchunter

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Getting used to not browsing by folder is tough. I’ve got a classical music folder with over 500gb of flac files and we all know what a PIA they are to tag correctly so when roon catalogs it all it just scatters it everywhere lol.

The dsp upsampling features in Roon are interesting.

Right now I use the Lumin app and bubble ds next as control point software.
Lumin A1 & T1 are my streamers (2 different systems)

I’m mostly happy but it’s always fun to mess around with something new, just not sure roon is worth $500 to me.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
FYI, dbPoweramp has a bulk tagging tool that can set tags by folder and possibly filename. So if you have a bunch of random Vivaldi in one folder you could set the composer tag and/or the performer tab though then you can't tell your Jakob Lindberg from your Sharon Isbin.

If Roon only sorts by performer you could making them all Mr. Vivaldi then try adding the real performer into the album titles?

That's assuming Roon doesn't ignore tags you've set because it thinks it knows better.

PS - you win, I only have 330 GB of FLAC files ripped from my CD collection :)

Last edited:

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
FYI, dbPoweramp has a bulk tagging tool that can set tags by folder and possibly filename. So if you have a bunch of random Vivaldi in one folder you could set the composer tag and/or the performer tab though then you can't tell your Jakob Lindberg from your Sharon Isbin.

If Roon only sorts by performer you could making them all Mr. Vivaldi then try adding the real performer into the album titles?

That's assuming Roon doesn't ignore tags you've set because it thinks it knows better.

PS - you win, I only have 330 GB of FLAC files ripped from my CD collection :)

Thanks Dave i'll have to check in to this more. I actually have dbpoweramp but I haven't messed with it in awhile, mainly i'll use it if I want to batch convert audio files in to some other format, I've never tagged with it.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
How well does Roon's concert finder work?

If you select an artist with upcoming tour dates it will list the next three tour dates and the location.

I’m looking at the band Slayer and it’s showing tour dates for Nov. 1, 3, and 5.