Room Lights Flicker when Advancing Turn in TW: Shogun 2

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by Wall Street, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Wall Street

Wall Street Senior member

The Antec Neo 520 I am using should be plenty of juice for mysystem with an i5-750 and a GTX 570, both at stock. My issue however, is that with only my rig, two CLF bulbs and three LED bulbs on in my apartment, the CLF lights flicker very slightly when I advance the turn in Total War: Shogun 2. I am pretty sure that the age of my apartment is at issue. Our building has old-school fuses and ratty looking wiring. It is certainly not up to modern standards but there is little I can do about this. I am pretty sure that my whole apartment is on one circuit but am unsure powerful that circuit is and have never blown the fuse.

The computer hasn't crashed (yet, knock on wood), but how bad is this for the computer? Do you guys think a power reconditioner can do anything to remedy this?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Room Lights Flicker Forum Date
    Flip PSU switch on and lights go out Power Supplies Mar 8, 2014
    Blew room circuit breaker, PC now 100% dead Power Supplies Jun 9, 2013
    what is the power supply of led light Power Supplies Mar 19, 2013
    PSU causes breaker/room to pop and reset Power Supplies Jun 23, 2011
    How much room Left? Power Supplies Mar 15, 2010

3. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

It's normal for high draw stuff to cause some flickering, but never seen a computer do it. I'm guessing there is some loose wiring somewhere. Or sub par wiring in general.

Do you have access to your own electrical panel? See if you can rule out those lights being on the same circuit or not. If they're not, then the issue could be upstream. The feeder wire needs to be thick enough that the voltage would not drop unless the draw is very high. The computer is probably not drawing more than a few amps at most...

4. tracerbullet

tracerbullet Golden Member

A good size UPS comes to mind right away, as something you could use.

5. Deders

Deders Platinum Member

Maybe don't click the mouse so hard at the end of your turn, can be hard to resist I know.

6. Vinwiesel

Vinwiesel Member

Some CFL's are pretty touchy. Mine flicker when I turn the computer on, or when the laser printer is on. I've never had the computer affect them once it's already running though.

7. Wall Street

Wall Street Senior member

Good to know. I wish I had a power monitor to know what kind of Vdrop I am getting on my mains. That being said, nothing bad has happened to the computer as of yet so I will just avoid overclocking and should be safe (knock on wood).