Roof replacement single family home advice

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I am considering hiring a contractor to replace our roof, which is 20+ years old and starting to really show its age. I called around to a few place to set up quotes. Anything I should ask the contractors about specifically when I get the quotes? Roof is asphalt shingles.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Get a quote for QUALITY shingles. Most will quote you for the low end products to keep the bid price down. Be sure you know going in how much they charge to replace any plywood that needs to be replaced. Some will charge a relatively reasonable price per sheet...then add labor costs, others will just charge an inflated price per sheet, but no added labor.

We had our roof re-done last fall. $100 per sheet, no additional labor. 2 other contractors were in the $50-$60 per sheet range, but tacked on an additional $50/hour labor for removing and replacing the plywood. We had 5 sheets in total replaced...not entire sheets all at once, but smaller pieces here and there.

Get in writing any warranty on the shingles...and from the company for how long they guarantee their work. We got 50 year shingles and a 15 year warranty on the work.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
And of course the labour warranty is only as good as the company doing the job so it may be worthwhile to pay more for a company that's been around a while.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I am considering hiring a contractor to replace our roof, which is 20+ years old and starting to really show its age. I called around to a few place to set up quotes. Anything I should ask the contractors about specifically when I get the quotes? Roof is asphalt shingles.
Spec the brand and type of shingles.
Verify your roof is properly ventilated, if not, now is the time to fix it.
Are you replacing the gutters as well? If so, spec what you want.
You may want to spec the paper. Felt is common, Tigers Paw is better and only a little more money.
Require an insurance binder for both workmens comp and general liability.

Reactions: PowerEngineer

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I got about six quotes and every proposal used GAF Timberline HDZ shingles. The one I went with will be using tri built synthetic underlayment and will replace plywood for $100/sheet.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Any signs of duplicitous conduct is a permanent strike against that company.

There are two companies that I’d avoid in my local area. One sure took their time on the roof and asked to go on there again days later. And they quoted way above even other expensive companies. My mom was doing the negotiating. They were Kor

Another had a rep call my mom saying they were not coming and would do it over the phone…only to be told later that the dude did come and already went up the roof.

Certainteed is the better brand imo.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I got about six quotes and every proposal used GAF Timberline HDZ shingles. The one I went with will be using tri built synthetic underlayment and will replace plywood for $100/sheet.
It's an extremely common shingle from a company with a proven track record. It's the brand I've used exclusively for the last couple decades.

Reactions: herm0016

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
consider solar instead of crappy asphalt
Composition shingles are anything but crappy. Buy a quality shingle and you'll have good looking roof that will last for forty years at a reasonable price.

Solar shingles don't have a track record yet, and they're many times the cost of traditional shingles. I'd use them if I had cash to burn, not if I was looking for value.