Ron Paul officially on the ballot in Louisiana

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
http://www.thetowntalk.com/art...01/810120333/1001/NEWS
http://digg.com/politics/Ron_P...na_presidential_ballot
(same story but there is a link to a video in the comments of digg.com where the Montana governor is on CNN describing Paul as "the decider" of Montana's presidential election outcome)

October 12, 2008

When Louisiana voters go to the polls to chose a president on Nov. 4, they will find a name on the ballot many might not expect - Ron Paul.
Advertisement
Quantcast

Louisiana will be only one of two states where voters will have the opportunity to pull the lever for Paul, a congressman from Texas who ran unsuccessfully for the Republican presidential nomination. Paul built a wide coalition of grass roots support that helped him raise tens of millions of dollars for his campaign.

Paul has been added to the Louisiana ballot on the top of the Louisiana Taxpayers Party ticket with Barry Goldwater, Jr., a former Republican congressman from California and the son of the late Barry Goldwater, the Republican presidential nominee in 1964.

Paul and Goldwater are on the ballot due partly to the efforts of an Alexandria man, Brent Sanders.

Sanders, a Republican who ran unsuccessfully in the past as a Libertarian for both the U.S. House of Representatives and the Louisiana House of Representatives, helped create the Louisiana Taxpayers Party to place Paul on the ballot.

"There was a whole group of people who worked on it, not just me," Sanders said. "I'm just located in the center of the state, so all the assets are sent to me and I distribute them."

Those assets include Paul yard signs, bumper stickers and other paraphernalia, he said.

Louisiana is one of few states where no signatures are required to access the ballot.

All that is required for a candidate to appear on the ballot is nine notarized elector forms -- one from each Congressional District and two at-large -- and a $500 filing fee.

Montana, where the Constitution Party broke with the national party's nomination of Chuck Baldwin and placed Paul on the ballot, is the only other state where voters will be able to choose Paul for president.

Sanders doesn't believe either Republican John McCain or Democrat Barack Obama will move the country in the right direction.

Even if Paul can't win, the creation of the Louisiana Taxpayers Party will be a force to help shape future elections, he said.

"Right now it happens to be Ron Paul, but in the future it might be another candidate and we will have a structure in place," Sanders said. "This is not about party. This is about supporting the (U.S.) Constitution and the republic -- it's leave your party at the door."

Trent Hill, a Paul supporter who lives in Baton Rouge, who was also involved in the effort to get him on the Louisiana ballot, hopes Paul will make a strong enough showing in Louisiana to command attention.

"If he scores a couple of percentage points, it will show that we want more choices that are more conducive for liberty," he said.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I knew it! It's a last minute surge for Ron Paul.
He's gonna win in a landslide!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: techs

You're right, we can't let that happen. We should all encourage his supporters to vote for McCain instead.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett

You're right, we can't let that happen. We should all encourage his supporters to vote for McCain instead.
Yeah! We can basically tell them vote for the real old looking guy!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Dari
I thought he said he wasn't going to run with another party?
Just another lying politician.

:roll:

He didn't put himself on the ballot. Another party did.

Just another lying post from techs. Are you trying to fill the whole P&N forum with your bullshit?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari
I thought he said he wasn't going to run with another party?
Just another lying politician.

:roll:

He didn't put himself on the ballot. Another party did.

Just another lying post from techs. Are you trying to fill the whole P&N forum with your bullshit?

Is that even legal? And if it is, why didn't he say no?

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
He wasn't running, basically he was nominated by 2 different 3rd parties
-in LA he was nominated by the Louisiana Taxpayers Party, w/ Barry Goldwater Jr. as VP
-in MT he was nominated by the Constitution Party, which is a nationwide party that already has their own candidate Chuck Baldwin, but it seems the MT Constitution Party decided to nominate Ron Paul instead. Actually Paul was somewhat displeased by that (he and Baldwin are friends and Paul has officially endorsed Baldwin as his candidate of choice). Nonetheless, Paul's name will remain on the MT ballot as the Constitution Party's candidate

here is the Louisiana.gov ballot:
http://www400.sos.louisiana.go...dta=1104083601++01++++

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Surely not, don't tell me, Ron Paul on the ballot in two small States, can I be impressed when maybe Ron Paul exceeds expectation and maybe, beyond all expectations, might poll a 1/4 of a percent of the national Presidential vote. Dare we dream, at this rate, Ron Paul might win the Presidency by 2108.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Surely not, don't tell me, Ron Paul on the ballot in two small States, can I be impressed when maybe Ron Paul exceeds expectation and maybe, beyond all expectations, might poll a 1/4 of a percent of the national Presidential vote. Dare we dream, at this rate, Ron Paul might win the Presidency by 2108.

Yeah, because Feeble Old Man and the Hope and Change are such great options. :roll:

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Would be interesting to see poll numbers out of MT with him on the ballot. I doubt it'd make much difference, but in Montana he did get 25% out of the caucus to McCain's 21% (I realize this doesn't translate into what a secret ballot election would look like) and we're in a post-bailout environment now. McCain's running +5% and +8% according to the only two polls there after the economic meltdown.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

Yeah, because Feeble Old Man and the Hope and Change are such great options. :roll:

And some libertopian dolt who wants all of us to be pig farmers and nail makers is a better alternative?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

And some libertopian dolt who wants all of us to be pig farmers and nail makers is a better alternative?

The current crop of individuals in DC are the ones bringing that fate into reality.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
What happens to Bob the de Barr, or does anyone ideologically care? Zero divided by 2 is still zero, can anything be anywhere made more clearo?

Brilliant, simply brilliant libertarian strategy, you will have four more years to say I you told so. That and all those flat earthers, they have been trying that same strategy for the past 100 years.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

The current crop of individuals in DC are the ones bringing that fate into reality.

No shit.

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
What happens to Bob the de Barr, or does anyone ideologically care? Zero divided by 2 is still zero, can anything be anywhere made more clearo?

Brilliant, simply brilliant libertarian strategy, you will have four more years to say I you told so. That and all those flat earthers, they have been trying that same strategy for the past 100 years.

It's really not the Libertarian Party's strategy as Ron Paul said from the beginning he would not run as their candidate this year if he failed to get the GOP nomination.
I've noticed there are some Ron Paul supporters who never cared for Barr due to his prior not-so-libertarian background (such as supporting the war on drugs and voting for the Patriot Act), despite that Barr has a good consistent pro liberty background for the last five or six years. People who don't want to hear it will now be able to vote for their candidate of choice (at least in 2 states). I'll be voting Barr but it might be tempting to vote Ron Paul if I lived in either of those states.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
This has the potential to be a moderate blow to McCain's campaign. He's currently leading LA 53-41%, and if you remember Ron Paul should have won the Caucus over McCain in January before their GOP got the word that they were supposed to be supporting McCain (and then covered up evidence that they originally picked Paul). Will be interesting to see just how much support RP will garner, if he hemorrhages even 8% of the GOP vote then it could put LA into "swing state" status. Montana is 51-43 McCain, where a strong Paul showing could also put that state into jeopardy as well for McCain.