Ron Paul is old.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
The man is old. I'm not one for looks, I could care less how someone looks. The JFK thing was kind of a slap in the face. But my point is he's 72 years old. Granted, he's got some spunk in him now, but what happens on his last leg at 76? Think about that guys, that's freaking old. We watch how our our presidents weather and in just 4 years its obvious how much all of the traveling, the meeting, the being on their feet effects them. I mean shit, if he goes another 4 he'll leave the office at 80! He's going to be the last pope all drooling and probably crapping his pants all over the place. Alright, maybe not that bad.

Has this crossed the minds of anyone else? What's your take on it?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
George H W Bush is 90 and he just jumped out of a plane and looks to be as mentally sharp as ever.

70 is no longer 'old'

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah, give the age thing a break. America has been almost exclusively run by old whiteys. RP wouldn't be much of an exception in that department.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Bill Clinton is 61, but he looks like he is 75. Being President of the USA seems to cause accelerated aging. I guess it is an incredibly stressful job. You have to wonder how these old guys in their 70s could even begin to hold up under the strain.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Bill Clinton is 61, but he looks like he is 75. Being President of the USA seems to cause accelerated aging. I guess it is an incredibly stressful job. You have to wonder how these old guys in their 70s could even begin to hold up under the strain.

Bill Clinton is only 61?!?!?!

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Reagan is about the only President in our life who seemed to gain strength via the Presidency. Most of them just wear down over time, is interesting that it didn't happen to Reagan.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
For what its worth, Paul is an exercise freak, and is in excellent shape for a man his age.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
the anti-paulbots post more paul threads than the old fashioned pro-paulbots

The what? I don't even know wtf you're talking about. Sorry I don't watch The Hills, I'm not good with all the drama shit you are into. Just making an observation.

Oct 27, 2007
They're all old. I'm not a big fan of Ron Paul (far from it) but even I think this is stupid. If he kicks off in the white house he has a VP. Let's form opinion on policy.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you don't like the wrinkles, then don't vote for him. Now, folks, that's the way an election should be run! :p

Doh! Same could be said for Hillary, except her morning routine probably includes an application of bondo. :shocked:

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: MrLee
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
the anti-paulbots post more paul threads than the old fashioned pro-paulbots

The what? I don't even know wtf you're talking about. Sorry I don't watch The Hills, I'm not good with all the drama shit you are into. Just making an observation.

:confused:

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Jumping out of a plane is not the best sign of mental sharpness.

Age is important.

Being president is a 24 hr a day job. And honestly Mr Reagan needed help just to make speeches and he did not have to best grasp of what was happening around him.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
For another non Prof John whopper---Reagan is about the only President in our life who seemed to gain strength via the Presidency. Most of them just wear down over time, is interesting that it didn't happen to Reagan.

The Ronald Reagan was (a) Just a front man and an actor. Put him in front of a teleprompter and like a robot he could reliably stumble through a speech while his staff pulled the puppet strings. (b) He was not engaged in the office and had to publically admit that gee I was really selling arms to terrorists even if I thought I was not. In other words, he was all image and no substance. (c) He was showing the signs of Alzheimer's and diminished vigor while he was in office. Just read any of the Reagan biographies. (d) Despite all the mean things he did, Ronald Reagan was a genuinely warm and nice person. He just never bothered to try to think about resolving the conflicts.

Since aging is unpredictable, its hard to say how it would translate to Ron Paul. Alzheimers occurs in only a small part of the population but reduced vigor after age 75 or so is almost certain.

In politics, lucky timing is everything. Reagan had lucky timing and Paul does not. The libertarian movement can only ride Ron Paul so far. But its almost inevitable that the libertarian movement will find a younger more vigorous leader. That and the fact that large government advocates are increasingly unable to deliver a workable product means some of Ron Paul's ideas will come to fruition in domestic and foreign policy.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Reagan is about the only President in our life who seemed to gain strength via the Presidency. Most of them just wear down over time, is interesting that it didn't happen to Reagan.

Reagen was decidedly losing his mental capacities by the late 80's, so this is utter nonsense.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb

Reagen was decidedly losing his mental capacities by the late 80's, so this is utter nonsense.

No kidding, by the time he left the White House his mental capacitiy had deteriorated to that of our current President.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Wow, the rumors were true. You guys really are all full of shit and suck at life. I had no idea it was this bad. I ask about someone being old and this thread morphs into a Reagen debate. I read the warnings, I just didn't know that you guys really were this stupid. Have fun in your little bitchy whiny forum girls...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
john mccain could kick his ass with his gimpy arms tied behind his back

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Someone move this crap thread to OT where it belongs.

It's not P&N material.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

No kidding, by the time he left the White House his mental capacitiy had deteriorated to that of our current President.

LOL :laugh:

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

LMAO! Good one, Red. :D

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Wow, the rumors were true. You guys really are all full of shit and suck at life. I had no idea it was this bad. I ask about someone being old and this thread morphs into a Reagen debate. I read the warnings, I just didn't know that you guys really were this stupid. Have fun in your little bitchy whiny forum girls...
As he heads back to his regular haunt in the L&R forums:laugh:

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
As he heads back to his regular haunt in the L&R forums:laugh:

MrLee must have mistaken P&N as a forum for people that give a crap. ;)