"Ron Paul Fries Fried Over Foreign Aid to Georgia"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: bamacre
See, everyone wants to blame Libertarians rather than see the truth that they support absurdity. It's irrelevant. If keeping taxpayer money is such a great idea, if :music: Rebuilding America First :music: is such a great idea, then why do the Democrats and Republican oppose it? Why should Libertarians be the only party to support this idea? Why don't the Republicans and Democrats take on the good ideas that the Libertarians have rather than oppose them?

The short answer: because everyone else thinks your ideas suck.

That doesn't answer my question. Unless you think all of the LP ideas suck.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Has it occurred to you that maybe we started off with something a long time ago and have since adjusted it to what we want it to be when it comes to a lot of things rather than simply getting away from what it was meant to be? I know we are not perfect and there is a lot of work to be done to fix things and make things more efficient, but there is a lot of great progress that has occurred too and remains successful today even though we tend to forget those parts far too often.

I agree that there should be a natural progression of Government, but, that Government cannot exceed its Constitutional restraints. It has done exactly that and far more.

The solution is not to wipe out the majority of the Fed and start over. The solution is to optimize the Fed and modernize it to fit the needs of today. That is what "pumping up the wheel" is all about. What Libertarians want is far from that. They want reinvention.

One man should not have the authority to decide what an entire nation is to do, either financially, lawfully or most important, morally. Yet this is what we have with modern day presidents. The FED IMO was/is a problem and not a solution. But being that as it is, even if Ron Paul were elected, he couldn't abolish the FED on his own. So your fears of such a thing are moot.

And this reinvention you speak of, no, thats what the FED is, a reinvention of what the Constitution outlines. Regardless, we have it and its probably here to stay.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'm so used to it now that I don't notice, but for a country that supposedly is doing well econmically (compared to its history), I have no idea why the US sent $1B to them after this recent event.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I'm so used to it now that I don't notice, but for a country that supposedly is doing well econmically (compared to its history), I have no idea why the US sent $1B to them after this recent event.

Interesting. We are doing so well (compared to history) that Bear stearns failed and Freddie and Fannie "needed" a bailout with the automakers up to bat next.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
See, everyone wants to blame Libertarians rather than see the truth that they support absurdity. It's irrelevant. If keeping taxpayer money is such a great idea, if :music: Rebuilding America First :music: is such a great idea, then why do the Democrats and Republican oppose it? Why should Libertarians be the only party to support this idea? Why don't the Republicans and Democrats take on the good ideas that the Libertarians have rather than oppose them?

The short answer: because everyone else thinks your ideas suck.

That doesn't answer my question. Unless you think all of the LP ideas suck.

I can reword it by saying that they don't believe that these "good ideas" are actually good. I don't know what else to tell you other than to rewrite what I have written about various Libertarian ideas which are spread across many threads in the past. Obviously, I am not going to do that here. I'll say one last bit though.

One of the problems here is that the LP is so ridiculously against the Fed and how it functions that pretty much anything they do will not be supported by the extremists in your party. Beyond that, I am sure if I researched hard enough I could come up with some actions by the Repubs and Dems in the past which go a lot more hand in hand with what the LP supports. It might not be exactly what they want in all cases but I am certain that many are close.

On a more personal note, if I think an idea is good then I would like it to be supported regardless of what party it came from or supports. In fact, I would rather not even know where the idea came from so I can solely concentrate on the parts of the idea that matter and the rest of America can do the same.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
One man should not have the authority to decide what an entire nation is to do, either financially, lawfully or most important, morally. Yet this is what we have with modern day presidents. The FED IMO was/is a problem and not a solution. But being that as it is, even if Ron Paul were elected, he couldn't abolish the FED on his own. So your fears of such a thing are moot.

And this reinvention you speak of, no, thats what the FED is, a reinvention of what the Constitution outlines. Regardless, we have it and its probably here to stay.

The Pres has a lot of power, but he doesn't have that much power. He may have more power than you would prefer, but the whole "one man" thing is quite a stretch.

It may please you to know that there are some specific issues and policies which are currently in control by the Fed that I would rather see in the hands of the states. However, what Libertarians express that they want goes so far and beyond my desires that I can never bring myself to vote for them. I know I am not alone either. Perhaps the best strategy for Libertarians to come into power would be to act less Libertarian. Although I realize how contradictory that sounds and I know it would never be supported by the LP.

I know my posts make it very clear that I lean towards Dems right now, but the truth is that I am a much bigger fan of what I believe is most balanced amongst the choices that are laid out in front of me. If that happens to be a Dem then so be it. Same goes for a Repub or a Libertarian. I don't care where they came from. I am never completely satisfied since I never completely agree with whom I am voting for, but that's life.