Ron Paul firing bullets at fed chairman Ben Bernanke

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BansheeX

Sep 10, 2007
Keep waiting, LK, anyone who understands this stuff know that the rest of the world cannot endlessly send their savings and products to America in exchange for paper. It's really that simple, the symptoms of continuing this policy will become so bad that they will finally do it. It won't have to come to working 24 hours in a factory for rat pudding to finance our exponentially growing deficits. You simply cannot increasingly use the world's savings to increasingly consume their products and make non-exportables.

As for Schiff, he is dead right in his Austrian analysis of what is wrong with the economy, dead right about gold, the collapse of the mortgage market, Fannie and Freddie, subprime, the Financials, and ultimately the dollar. He was laughed at for years by people like you and continues to be. No, decoupling hasn't happened yet and anyone who invested in 2008 is down from this short-term dollar rally. He was wrong in the short-term about how irrational people have become, he was expecting people to do what they should have done and not what they did do. The treasury market is the last remaining bubble. You are wrong in the long-term, and unless you are selling at these lows, there will be no losses realized for his 2008 clients.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: BansheeX
Originally posted by: soccerballtuxThe upper middle can protect themselves with inflation-adverse investments, by the way. The lower middle class can benefit by using the inflation to pay off their debt and start saving. My fear is that we're making this too easy; that the debtor-middle will not take advantage of this, but will say "aha, more money, let me spend it now! Gogo American dream!" Hence why I emphasize extending this recession a bit. Otherwise, the country wouldn't benefit any from the inflation.

No doubt any saver worth their salt is already in gold by now, they are immune to dollar debasement. More to your point, inflation might wipe out debt, but it also causes the cost of living to rise. People's wages don't go up throughout the year while prices do. It's not a fun situation. If you want to see how well it works, just look at Zimbabwe, Weimar, the Continental. The real reason the Fed is working to inflate while maintaining bond demand is to wipe out bank debt and restore government tax revenue (who doesn't want to face reality and make cuts alongside the private sector). The actual market price of the collateral banks would be stuck with is well below the loans they made. If they can inflate the value to nominally match what they loaned, they're okay at our (and our creditors') expense. The homes are actually perfectly liquid assets, just not at the prices banks want to sell them for. :) So yes, this is a roundabout way of fixing prices and Evan and LK (who is a banker himself) are dead wrong as usual and looking to mock RP and Schiff publicly any chance they get.

Schiff is a fucking joke. He failed his investors, he is wrong in his theories (decoupling, dollar collapse...), and he can't even admit it. Jim Rogers is the same. I hope that fucker won't be let back in this country as Asia burns down around him in China's inevitable economic and possible social/poliotical collapse. He wanted to spurn this country, let him raise his two little kids in a 3rd world country, fuck em.

Sorry I couldn't resist quoting this.
We'll take a trip back to this thread next year. :laugh:
Everything doesn't happen overnight.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Keep waiting, LK, anyone who understands this stuff know that the rest of the world cannot endlessly send their savings and products to America in exchange for paper. It's really that simple, the symptoms of continuing this policy will become so bad that they will finally do it. It won't have to come to working 24 hours in a factory for rat pudding to finance our exponentially growing deficits. You simply cannot increasingly use the world's savings to increasingly consume their products and make non-exportables.

As for Schiff, he is dead right in his Austrian analysis of what is wrong with the economy, dead right about gold, the collapse of the mortgage market, Fannie and Freddie, subprime, the Financials, and ultimately the dollar. He was laughed at for years by people like you and continues to be. No, decoupling hasn't happened yet and anyone who invested in 2008 is down from this short-term dollar rally. He was wrong in the short-term about that. You are wrong in the long-term, and unless you are selling at these lows, there will be no losses realized for his 2008 clients.

if by dead right, you mean dead wrong, then yes.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

As for Schiff, he is dead right in his Austrian analysis of what is wrong with the economy, dead right about gold, the collapse of the mortgage market, Fannie and Freddie, subprime, the Financials, and ultimately the dollar. He was laughed at for years by people like you and continues to be. No, decoupling hasn't happened yet and anyone who invested in 2008 is down from this short-term dollar rally. He was wrong in the short-term about how irrational people have become, he was expecting people to do what they should have done and not what they did do. The treasury market is the last remaining bubble. You are wrong in the long-term, and unless you are selling at these lows, there will be no losses realized for his 2008 clients.

What country is going to decouple from the US? Name them and show how well they're doing right now. Ohh, that's right NOBODY is doing well!

He wasn't right about gold, he said it'd be at $2k at the end of 08, he said the dollar will collapse, he said decoupling, he was ALL WRONG. Wow, he got F&F and the mortgage market right, whoopdy fucking do, I said the same fucking thing in 2003.

Wrong in the short-term? are you fucking kidding me? He's been wrong for 2 fucking years and hasn't had the balls to admit it. He left no way out, no exit strategy and he is YEARS off. An investment professional with half a brain knows they need an exit strategy if the original strategy doesn't work. Wow, expecting them to do what they "should do".

Should do?

Based upon what? Magic fairies and pixie dust dreams of libertopian vacuum based zealotry of the Austrian garden of Eden? Get a fucking clue you moron, there's a reason why we always get into booms/busts, it's because NOBODY does what they SHOULD do, they do what they want in a herd mentality and it's almost always irrational.

Even his guess on what they SHOULD do was based upon what HE wanted them to do, not what the MARKET WOULD do. I think the sun SHOULD raise to the south and set to the north today.

Wow, I'm gonna be wrong tomorrow. Well fuck, the sun didn't do what I think it SHOULD do, it did what the fuck it wanted to do. But instead of realizing my theory is wrong, I'm gonna bet OPM (other people's money) on that and FUCK IT ALL UP.

This is the problem with massively ignorant people like you. You comment about what you read, but you have no fucking idea how to actually understand it. You have no training, education, or real knowledge but you run around pretending you do.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: HeXploiT
Originally posted by: soccerballtuxThe upper middle can protect themselves with inflation-adverse investments, by the way. The lower middle class can benefit by using the inflation to pay off their debt and start saving. My fear is that we're making this too easy; that the debtor-middle will not take advantage of this, but will say "aha, more money, let me spend it now! Gogo American dream!" Hence why I emphasize extending this recession a bit. Otherwise, the country wouldn't benefit any from the inflation.

No doubt any saver worth their salt is already in gold by now, they are immune to dollar debasement. More to your point, inflation might wipe out debt, but it also causes the cost of living to rise. People's wages don't go up throughout the year while prices do. It's not a fun situation. If you want to see how well it works, just look at Zimbabwe, Weimar, the Continental. The real reason the Fed is working to inflate while maintaining bond demand is to wipe out bank debt and restore government tax revenue (who doesn't want to face reality and make cuts alongside the private sector). The actual market price of the collateral banks would be stuck with is well below the loans they made. If they can inflate the value to nominally match what they loaned, they're okay at our (and our creditors') expense. The homes are actually perfectly liquid assets, just not at the prices banks want to sell them for. :) So yes, this is a roundabout way of fixing prices and Evan and LK (who is a banker himself) are dead wrong as usual and looking to mock RP and Schiff publicly any chance they get.

Schiff is a fucking joke. He failed his investors, he is wrong in his theories (decoupling, dollar collapse...), and he can't even admit it. Jim Rogers is the same. I hope that fucker won't be let back in this country as Asia burns down around him in China's inevitable economic and possible social/poliotical collapse. He wanted to spurn this country, let him raise his two little kids in a 3rd world country, fuck em.

Go right ahead sparky. I'll even bet you $100 right now.

Keep in mind that a 70% loss requires a 300% gain. Judging from his positions in Asia and other countries, the idea he'll suddenly realize a 300% gain is retarded.

You can keep Schiff and Rogers. They aren't the world's richest men. I'll take Buffet every fucking day.

BansheeX

Sep 10, 2007
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
What our economy needs is revaluation and deflation.

holy fucking christ no

Holy christ, yes. Remember, it's not the falling prices that people don't like. Gas and homes and food and college becoming more affordable is a good thing. It was continuous inflation that caused their prices to get bid up to unaffordable levels. One of the best things that happened in the 30s depression was that prices fell. The reason people buy into the Keynesian stigma towards deflation is that they associate credit contraction with lengthy unemployment. In reality, the 20s was driven by inflationary demand and that caused businesses in certain sectors to take on more loans to hire people and expand. If you think growth is real, you think it's going to continue in the future, thus you assume you will service your debt. Once the carnival packed up and left, reality was exposed. Businesses were forced to lay people off and hock assets, or file chapter 11. The layoffs would have more quickly found jobs where their labor was needed, but unfortunately the government came in and decided to take the private capital that would have financed them to create jobs of their own. For a decade, they just kept taxing and spending, FDR's own treasury secretary about went nuts after so many years of seeing things get worse.

So falling prices being bad is pure nonsense. The problem was not temporary unemployment or falling prices that a contraction brings, the problem is artificial demand that preceded it which caused so many jobs to be created in the wrong sectors. That HAS to be corrected and it can't happen without something people don't like (the unemployment window). We're seeing this again today in the mortgage market and retailers. Businesses were hiring and expanding and taking on loans on the basis that depreciating assets were generating revenue for the consumer each year. This was all begotten by interest rate price fixing, government promotion towards home ownership, and a tax code that promoted flipping with capital gains exemptions. None of that shit was real, and whereas the private sector is forced to make cuts since their business and investing was all voluntary, the public sector doesn't want to. Look at California, raising taxes, asking for subsidization bailouts from other states. Anything BUT cutting the expansion they underwent during the boom. Private pensions are toast, government ones stay intact. No one in the government wants to cede powers and salaries once they create them. It just keeps wanting to grow, and they can do so regardless of tax increases/decreases because the currency itself is monopolized and inflatable.

I'll take Buffet every fucking day.

Buffet's clients are down 40%, too, aren't they? :) I personally went all in to gold despite being a huge fan of Schiff. I'm just more conservative in times like this, he is a stock broker after all, and stock brokers like stocks at all times.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
Why does Ron Paul even make news anymore? His ideas are so whacked out. Whats even more amazing is the number of people who believe he's making perfect sense.

he brought more to the table than either the GOP or the dems. he speaks the truth even its not the truth the public wants to hear. McCain and BO speak to lowest common demoniator which gives everybody a warm fuzzy feeling. Paul does not do that is is most of the reason he lost.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

Keep in mind that a 70% loss requires a 300% gain. Judging from his positions in Asia and other countries, the idea he'll suddenly realize a 300% gain is retarded.

You can keep Schiff and Rogers. They aren't the world's richest men. I'll take Buffet every fucking day.

I love it when you call me by those pet names although I must concur that only you have earned the name sparky as is evidenced through your posting history. :heart:
Funny you sound even angrier than you did last year.
Do you getter madder the more you are wrong?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

I love it when you call me by those pet names although I must concur that only you have earned the name sparky as is evidenced through your posting history. :heart:

How was I wrong? I predicted this thing 6 years ago.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

How was I wrong? I predicted this thing 6 years ago.

Hell yes you're wrong. You're pretending that the free marketers are claiming dates when they are not.
Please show me the post where anyone said "in one year we will see breakaway inflation".
I think most of the free market people here are smart enough to know that few really understand the market yet that 2+2=4 and eventually 4 will come to pass.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Hell yes you're wrong. You're pretending that the free marketers are claiming dates when they are not.
Please show me the post where anyone said "in one year we will see breakaway inflation".
I think most of the free market people here are smart enough to know that few really understand the market yet that 2+2=4 and eventually 4 will come to pass.

I never said that it'll take one year. You're the one putting out a 1-year time horizon, or did you not remember what you typed? I say there won't be any hyperinflation.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Wake-up call for Schiff apologists, posted last year and even truer now:

1) Uses the Webster definition of inflation instead of the accepted definition of inflation used by economists across the globe (core CPI). He claims inflation is probably closer to 10% yet when pressed to come up with a methodology for calculating inflation, he falls flat on his face and literally says "I just know that the way the government calculates it is wrong". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR_ssZzQyYQ

2) He claims that the Federal Reserve, including Bernanke and others, purposefully lie and distort inflation numbers (among other statistics). When asked what Bernanke's motivation would be and why Greenspan, Volcker, and every Fed chairman and economic advisor split between half a dozen Democrat/Republicans administrations over the last several decades didn't pick up on this conspiracy to trick consumers into using false inflation and economic statistics, Schiff is notably silent and has no explanation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucDkoqwflF4

3) Schiff makes the laughably ridiculous claim that a collapse of the U.S. economy will benefit the rest of the global economy because of the eventual collapse of the U.S. dollar; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR_ssZzQyYQ. No mention that every crash and recession in modern history (81-82, 87, 91-92, 00-01) was followed or simultaneous with a global slowdown. He has been about as wrong about this as you can get, everything from the Nikkei, LSE, etc. is down big.

4) Specifically said gold will be at $2000 by 09 and $5000 by 2012 (with the later being far more laughable than the former). He claimed in Sep. 07 that the dollar would lose half it's value a year from that point. 15 months later it has gained noticeably. He claimed bond interest rates would skyrocket back up to the levels we saw in the early 1980's (14%-ish depending on the length of the promissory notes), but instead bond rates currently are at low single digit rates, including 30 year yields. Dead wrong again. These terrible predictions can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa4pmGoca0Q.

5) This loser has even been on the Alex Jones show, for a while now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5vGxCCdesM

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
So falling prices being bad is pure nonsense. The problem was not temporary unemployment or falling prices that a contraction brings, the problem is artificial demand that preceded it which caused so many jobs to be created in the wrong sectors. That HAS to be corrected and it can't happen without something people don't like (the unemployment window). We're seeing this again today in the mortgage market and retailers.
Schiff and Rogers are extremists and have been dead wrong for sure. That said, I do like your post BansheeX and agree that we need to correct the massive flows of capital that were overallocated into housing and finance. And yes, this means recession and layoffs as part of a healthy capitalist economy. If you don't like boom and bust, move to France. Oh wait, Europe is suffering too. Too bad...suck it up.

I think the problem is us. Everyone wants all the upside but wants to share the downside. Like we're too big and too smart in the 21st century that we shouldn't have to suffer or something. The wholesale fleecing of this country by our politicians with this stimulus and the TARP is a disgrace. And just look at the pigs in Albany arguing for a drastic hike in personal income taxes among people earning $250k or more to try and plug their massive budget deficit caused by a loss of Wall St tax revenue that won't be coming back.

The only thing that's going to cure this recession is time. But trying to reflate the economy based on an unsustainable borrow and spend mentality is wrong.

BansheeX

Sep 10, 2007
1) Uses the Webster definition of inflation instead of the accepted definition of inflation used by economists across the globe (core CPI). He claims inflation is probably closer to 10% yet when pressed to come up with a methodology for calculating inflation, he falls flat on his face and literally says "I just know that the way the government calculates it is wrong". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR_ssZzQyYQ

That would be the correct definition, the Keynesian methodology is wrong and will hopefully be discredited after the collapse. You also can't explain what they exclude and how hedonics adjustment works in a soundbyte format, but he has elaborated more on this in his radio shows and speeches. He's not the only one, either, the link in my sig goes to the Financial Sense guys, and I think there's a respected analyst who runs a very detailed website called shadowstats.

2) He claims that the Federal Reserve, including Bernanke and others, purposefully lie and distort inflation numbers (among other statistics). When asked what Bernanke's motivation would be and why Greenspan, Volcker, and every Fed chairman and economic advisor split between half a dozen Democrat/Republicans administrations over the last several decades didn't pick up on this conspiracy to trick consumers into using false inflation and economic statistics, Schiff is notably silent and has no explanation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucDkoqwflF4

He already said it, politicians want to spend without eliciting the resistance of taxation and they do. This isn't a grand conspiracy, this is a basic, undeniable motivator that resonates throughout history. Every fiat currency has failed or will fail for this reason.

3) Schiff makes the laughably ridiculous claim that a collapse of the U.S. economy will benefit the rest of the global economy because of the eventual collapse of the U.S. dollar; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR_ssZzQyYQ. No mention that every crash and recession in modern history (81-82, 87, 91-92, 00-01) was followed or simultaneous with a global slowdown. He has been about as wrong about this as you can get, everything from the Nikkei, LSE, etc. is down big.

Creditors lose big when the borrower can't repay with anything more than new IOUs. We are the largest debtor nation, and we borrow to consume rather than produce. Decoupling has not yet occured, but it will occur. Foreigners sell us their products with their loans for the privilege of receiving an endless stream of worthless IOUs. If you were a nation that produced and had real savings (from underconsuming), what would you rather do with it from below:

(a) Use it to buy your own products.
(b) Loan it to someone who will use it to consume your production in exchange for his IOUs.
(c) Loan it to someone who will use it to expand specialized production you lack and give you a certain amount of it free as a thanks for the loan.

We are the borrower in (b) and a complete waste. So you can stop trying to wish an inevitability away with logical fallacies.

4) Specifically said gold will be at $2000 by 09 and $5000 by 2012 (with the later being far more laughable than the former). He claimed in Sep. 07 that the dollar would lose half it's value a year from that point. 15 months later it has gained noticeably. He claimed bond interest rates would skyrocket back up to the levels we saw in the early 1980's (14%-ish depending on the length of the promissory notes), but instead bond rates currently are at low single digit rates, including 30 year yields. Dead wrong again. These terrible predictions can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa4pmGoca0Q.

Better to be early than late. The Dow was worth 46oz when this bear market started in 2001, now it's worth 8.5. It will reach 1 before this is all over.

5) This loser has even been on the Alex Jones show, for a while now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5vGxCCdesM

Better that people listen to Alex Jones than people like you, at least his audience is still against government nonsense. Who cares if they read malevolent intent into what is really just ineptitude?