Romney's Bailout Bonanza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Vulture capitalism at work.

Mitt Romney’s opposition to the auto bailout has haunted him on the campaign trail, especially in Rust Belt states like Ohio. There, in September, the Obama campaign launched television ads blasting Romney’s November 2008 New York Times op-ed, “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt.” But Romney has done a good job of concealing, until now, the fact that he and his wife, Ann, personally gained at least $15.3 million from the bailout—and a few of Romney’s most important Wall Street donors made more than $4 billion. Their gains, and the Romneys’, were astronomical—more than 3,000 percent on their investment.

Read the whole article to see how the hedge fund vultures held the entire auto bailout captive by buying control of Delphi and ultimately breaking their union and closing but 4 of its 29 US plants and shipping their jobs to China.

One of President Obama’s first acts in office, in February 2009, was to form the Auto Task Force with the goal of saving GM, Chrysler, their suppliers and, most important, auto industry jobs. Crucial to the plan was saving Delphi, which then employed more than 25,000 union workers.

Obama hired Steven Rattner, himself a millionaire hedge fund manager, to head the task force that would negotiate with the troubled firms and their creditors to avoid the collapse of the entire industry. In Rattner’s memoir of the affair, Overhaul, he describes a closed-door meeting held in March 2009 to resolve Delphi’s fate. He writes that Delphi, now in the possession of its hedge fund creditors, told the Treasury and GM to hand over $350 million immediately, “because if you don’t, we’ll shut you down.” His explanation was corroborated by Delphi’s chief financial officer, John Sheehan, who said in a sworn deposition in July 2009 that the hedge fund debt holders backed up their threat with “an analysis of the cost to GM if Delphi were unwilling or unable to provide supply to GM,” forcing a “shutdown.” It would take “years and tens of billions” for GM to replace Delphi’s parts. At that bleak moment, GM had neither. The automaker had left the inventory of its steering column and other key components in Delphi’s hands. If Delphi laid siege to GM’s parts supply, the bailout would fail and GM would have to be liquidated or sold off—as would another Delphi dependent, Chrysler.

Rattner could not believe that Delphi’s management—now effectively under the hedge funders’ control—would “want to be perceived as holding GM hostage at such a precarious economic moment.” One Wall Street Journal analyst suggested that Singer was treating Delphi “like a third world country.” Rattner likened the subsidies demanded by Delphi’s debt holders to “extortion demands by the Barbary pirates.”

Romney has slammed the bailout as a payoff to the auto workers union. But that certainly wasn’t true for the bailout of Delphi. Once the hedge funders, including Singer—a deep-pocketed right-wing donor and activist who serves as chair of the conservative, anti-union Manhattan Institute—took control of the firm, they rid Delphi of every single one of its 25,200 unionized workers.

Of the twenty-nine Delphi plants operating in the United States when the hedge funders began buying up control, only four remain, with not a single union production worker. Romney’s “job creators” did create jobs—in China, where Delphi now produces the parts used by GM and other major automakers here and abroad. Delphi is now incorporated overseas, leaving the company with 5,000 employees in the United States (versus almost 100,000 abroad).

Another outcome may have been possible. In June 2009, the Treasury and GM announced a bailout deal they’d crafted over months with the cooperation of the United Auto Workers. GM would take back control of Delphi via a joint venture with Platinum Equity, a buyout firm led by billionaire Tom Gores, a self-described “Michigan man” who grew up in the shadow of Delphi’s Flint plant.

The final Platinum plan, according to Delphi’s official statement posted on Marketwire in June 2009, lists plants in fourteen locations slated for closing, which would have left several of Delphi’s plants still in business, still unionized—and still in the United States. Crucially, the deal would have returned key Delphi operations, including the production of steering columns, directly to GM.

The hedge funders stunned Delphi by refusing to accept the Platinum plan. Harshly criticizing it as a “sweetheart deal,” they demanded 45 cents on the dollar for the debt bonds they had bought on the cheap—more than double what the Treasury-brokered Platinum deal would pay.

Then the Singer-led debt holders swooped in. After the Platinum deal was announced, Elliott Management quietly tripled its holdings of Delphi bonds, purchased at just one-fifth of their face value. By joining forces with Silver Point, Paulson and Loeb, Singer now controlled Delphi’s fate.

Mitt Romney and the high flying hedge fund boyz: Hypocrisy and greed. :(

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
If America elects this guy Americans deserve all jobs to go to China.

Yeh, I remember Romney saying something like "I care for 100% of Americans" which completely flies in the face of his candid 47% remarks. So who in their rght mind would believe anything that comes out of his fork-tongued mouth.

Romney is a hard-wired predatory big time businessman. He would run the nation into another severe economic downturn to depress wages even further, kill unions and make billions and billions of $$$ more for himself and his aristocratic peers to boot.

These slowly improving yet still hard economic times now being experienced by the middle class and the poor is being successfully exploited by the nation's ultra rich. Romney and his ilk can't have things improving for it will strengthen and grow the middle class, the very folks Romney and his cabal of overstuffed vultures want to drive into extinction.

Give them a chance and they will do what they do best: exploit, exploit exploit.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
The Plutocrats have their candidate (hell their party) ( heck he is a plutocrat) and are convinced of their own unreplaceable worth to society and hence work the system from that point of view.

Really now, other than deluded Republican voters, is this a surprise to anyone?

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Unless anything illegal was done (and I see no evidence presented to that effect), there is no problem with any of those actions. If I were one of delphi's major creditors, I would have taken whatever steps available (legally) to get my money back. This is just a poorly written article by someone who apparently doesn't understand how business works.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Unless anything illegal was done (and I see no evidence presented to that effect), there is no problem with any of those actions. If I were one of delphi's major creditors, I would have taken whatever steps available (legally) to get my money back. This is just a poorly written article by someone who apparently doesn't understand how business works.
You're right, that IS how business works...but why would you hand the leadership of this nation to a guy like that? This is perhaps the best example of why people who say Romney should be president because he has business experience should be shot.

hotlavaaaa

Oct 13, 2009
Read this a few days ago and it's pretty amazing stuff. Yeah legally it may be all fine and dandy, morally not so much. This is not the way that somebody who wants to be president should be investing their money. To knowingly make millions of dollars while thousands of retirees have their health insurance pulled out from under them and thousands of jobs are shipped overseas. Now we know why the tax returns haven't been made public. All of Romney's hedge fund buddies must be foaming at the mouth to call in their favors if old Mittens gets into the White House.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I don't see this as being any different than the green energy bullshit Obama has pulled.

Seriously, if you don't think they're both lying, theiving crony capitalists, there's something seriously wrong with you.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Simply pathetic. He wins one way or the other. This is why some people go into politics. What is most amazing is that people will still vote for him. I guess whatever looks most evil to one person looks is not what looks most evil to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.