• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Romney Wins!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Seems a damn poor example to win "Lie of the Year". In fact, downright incorrect.

Let's examine some facts:

1. Obama did sell Chrysler to the Italians. They are the majority shareholders.

2. The owners of Chrysler and the individual who is president of the Jeep brand are on record saying they plan to make Jeeps in China, and perhaps ALL Jeeps:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-21/fiat-says-china-may-build-all-jeep-models-as-suv-demand-climbs.html

So, it wasn't even a lie at all, much less some 'big lie' that deserved an award.

Angie Drobnic Holan is a liar and partisan hack. Why you gobble up her shite without even fact checking OP?

------------------

I'll make my own nomination for "Lie of the Year".

Let's review some of Obama's statements about Chrysler:

Really?

How about some facts on Chrysler's "in sourcing and "out sourcing" and investing in America:

Now who exactly told a lie?

Here's the link for the above. Since this post is already long I'll stop here. But if you're interested in Obama's lies about Boeing go to the second page and have a look.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2012/08/12/outsourcer-in-chief-obama-of-general-motors/

Fern
You are no fun bringing facts into a partisan circle jerk.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
For those with short memories, Romney had proclaimed prior to the ad that all Jeep production was being moved to China. Having never recanted that lie, the ad was seen as an attempt to build on and reinforce the lie.

The factual correctness of the ad itself is immaterial as its intent was to perpetrate the previous big lie. By not admitting the first statement was false, there was a continuous progression from one to the other indicating that both were equivalent. The true facts about Chrysler building in China were of no political value to Romney by themselves and only had value to him if perceived as a continuation of the original lie.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how it was played.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Just wondering where you see that. It's not in his post and it's not in the linked article.

Oh I see, you went two links deep and then attributed that to techs' post. o_O
No, he edited it out of his post after I replied.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, much appreciated. :rolleyes:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
No, he edited it out of his post after I replied.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, much appreciated. :rolleyes:
I saw he edited "every" to "almost every," but that wasn't the point of my post. Did he actually write "Last year, it was the claim that Republicans voted to end Medicare"? I certainly didn't see it but if he did, I apologize. I highly doubt he did.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, he did, or I wouldn't have responded as I did -- his self-contradiction was the only point of my post.
Okay, so he took two quotes directly from the site he linked and then deliberately followed a link from that site to pluck a single quote that contradicts the entire theme of the OP? :confused:

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Okay, so he took two quotes directly from the site he linked and then deliberately followed a link from that site to pluck a single quote that contradicts the entire theme of the OP? :confused:
The contradictory quote was buried among some other statements that did support his attempt to claim that only Republicans are liars. Apparently he didn't notice it. And then he removed the whole thing afterwards, yes.

If he had even a shred of honesty he would come in here and confirm that he did that, but believe what you want.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/romney-earns-politifact-lie-jeeps-made-china-143057560--election.html

Romney earns PolitiFact’s ‘Lie of the Year’ for Jeeps made in China

Mitt Romney's claim in a campaign ad that President Barack Obama "sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China" earned PolitiFact's "Lie of the Year," the site announced on Wednesday.

"The Jeep ad was brazenly false," Angie Drobnic Holan wrote in her analysis.

Republican scum. Seems they win the lie of the year almost every year. Would you vote for lying scum?
Since this is obviously an anti-republic post, you saying democrats have never lied?

All politicians lie. All politicians are god damned cockroaches.

ASK THE COMMUNITY