Romney will fight marijuana legalization 'Tooth and Nail'

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Not sure if you noticed, but sex isn't such a taboo wicked dirty sinful thing anymore, and that has a lot to do with the hippies and new agers.

That said, I don't believe in Progress in a historical sense. Things aren't always 'getting better' or 'moving forward' except in the most trivial sense where you define 'forward' as the first we're moving.

Yea, there was that thing called the Dark Ages.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Well if it is then you wouldn't be voting for Obama. Obama has basically slammed the DEA hammer on medical marijuana centers in the state of California.

OT- Odd thing is that when the vote came to California as to whether pot should be decriminalized at the state level most medical marijuana dispensaries lobbied against the bill. They did so because legalization would of opened up the market and eliminated the monopolies they have established. The effect of legalization would encourage more competitors and given a free market it would in due time drive the price down for the consumer unless their is some government shenanigans in protecting established players in the medical pot industry.

This comports with what I have heard.
-----------

Marijuana is a fear jerker. That means that any attempt by a rational person to eliminate the war on drugs, if by a liberal, will evoke a political attempt to use the issue to create mass hysteria. If the liberal is elected drug crazed fiends will pop out of walls to slit your throat for their hopped up kicks. No progress is possible until the moronic right that has left the real world returns. Winning is more important to them then the betterment of the country and because that is the definition of a traitor, they will always say they believe the war on drugs is a good thing, like Romney, like the daffy fucking altered reality fool that he is.

But it's fun that some conservatives on the libertarian side of things see this insanity yet still don't see just how far down the rabbit hole Romney is. And they will vote for him anyway.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
It's amazing how you mirror what you mock, and just make shit up about people who you haven't a clue about. You're a bad joke, a social clown, a projecting caricature of flailing progressivism.

When you ever for once can honestly make a logical argument not based in ignorance then like I said, we can talk of reality. You have none, you are a political soap opera drone living in la-la land of conservatism alternate universe of tabloid nonsense for bitter old dudes pissed they didn't get any in the 60s. You all are hilarious in your indignation at reality poking a bubble in the little scripted world created for you.

We do mock you guys, simply because you are willingly ignorant and very lost in your own world. Conservatism is literally a freakshow nowadays of the worst elements of intellectual laziness of American society.

Luckily the conservative cult of haterism is a regional and dying off breed of the past projected by old 20th century media monopolies, not representative of the average modern American.

You are a perfect example comrade.

Last edited:

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
So much for the "good for the economy" claim.

If he really understood economics he would legalize it and tax it instead of spending money on law enforcement, criminal prosecution, and incarceration.

It shouldnt be taxed, its a fucking plant. That makes no sense, thats jut pure greed.

Oct 30, 2004
big deal. that's not a game changer.

Obama is not legalizing it either. in fact they are cracking down on medical harder then before.

Sad, but true. I wonder when the political winds will change to where opposing legalization will be a fatal plank.

McWatt

Feb 25, 2010
Drinking coffee is substance abuse in Romney's world. Disapproval of marijuana shouldn't be a surprise.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I'm wondering how much the election has to do with Obama's crack down on California medical marijuana sites.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
This comports with what I have heard.
-----------

Marijuana is a fear jerker. That means that any attempt by a rational person to eliminate the war on drugs, if by a liberal, will evoke a political attempt to use the issue to create mass hysteria. If the liberal is elected drug crazed fiends will pop out of walls to slit your throat for their hopped up kicks. No progress is possible until the moronic right that has left the real world returns. Winning is more important to them then the betterment of the country and because that is the definition of a traitor, they will always say they believe the war on drugs is a good thing, like Romney, like the daffy fucking altered reality fool that he is.

But it's fun that some conservatives on the libertarian side of things see this insanity yet still don't see just how far down the rabbit hole Romney is. And they will vote for him anyway.

You must wear political left-wing beer goggles when you post.

The war on drugs is a part and parcel a bed-rock establishment of a expansionary policy of government growth and power. Its basically a wet dream for people like you who believe that government is the solution to all your woes in life. However people like you only focus on issues you agree with but fail miserably to see the how it hurts and allows for abuses elsewhere; including when you disagree with the policy and the resulting precedence and ramifications of future abuses.

But I like how you totally ignore how the "progressive and compassionate" established medical pot distributors lobbied against legalization in the state to protect their monopoly directly protected by the laws which make pot illegal and then jump back onto your anti-"right wing" spiel.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
The war on drugs is a part and parcel a bed-rock establishment of a expansionary policy of government growth and power.

You could have stopped right there and been perfectly fine but, you had to step over the line and spout wack-a-doo nonsense like any other left or right wing crazy.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
When you ever for once can honestly make a logical argument not based in ignorance then like I said, we can talk of reality. You have none, you are a political soap opera drone living in la-la land of conservatism alternate universe of tabloid nonsense for bitter old dudes pissed they didn't get any in the 60s.

Thank you for once again showing your ignorant, partisan idiocy. Yea, I am a la-la land of conservatism wanting to legalize all drugs, supporting gay marriage, and supporting women's right to choose. You are a world class idiot, and a joke.
Sheeplerot is right.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Thank you for once again showing your ignorant, partisan idiocy. .

I despise the Democrats and make a living at times opposing them politically, and did not vote for Obama. You all are not conservative in any shape though, you and your ilk in here play games peddling divisiveness among Americans and lies from mass media against your own best interests.

I know you can hide under the "I just wanna make people mad and stir the pot. Haha liberals!"

But really you are just a hater looking for justification. You all cannot even defend anything conservatism has done. What is the point besides being childish with the talk radio drama? You all are useless propagandists. Are there any actual conservatives left? I sure don't see any in this forum. If you guys are it -you are in bad shape.

We had some insightful conservatives election cycles ago who didnt try to utterly lie like no one cared. (well not all) but you guys just make yourselves look bad, doubly so when you double down on a point when proven wrong like a religious fundie headcase for conservatism talking points from the media every day. (not picking on you man, its the whole stinking lot of ya)

Last edited:

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Which reminds me:

"I am convinced that there are genuine and valid levels of perception available with cannabis (and probably with other drugs) which are, through the defects of our society and our educational system, unavailable to us without such drugs."

Carl Sagan (1934-1996) was a lifelong user of marijuana.

POD-111010-CarlSagan-thumb-640x445.jpeg

As someone who has worked around alcohol for decades (and drunks) it's the worst gateway drug. And VERY expensive for peoples stretched budgets.

(only thing that will bring a together person down faster is crack -granted heroin will just kill you outright instead of slowly like meth or booze)

Moderation and knowing oneself and limits is a very tough personal responsibility aspect that far too many lack. Or afraid/too lazy to face. It reaches all over ones life besides substances for escapism.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You must wear political left-wing beer goggles when you post.

The war on drugs is a part and parcel a bed-rock establishment of a expansionary policy of government growth and power. Its basically a wet dream for people like you who believe that government is the solution to all your woes in life. However people like you only focus on issues you agree with but fail miserably to see the how it hurts and allows for abuses elsewhere; including when you disagree with the policy and the resulting precedence and ramifications of future abuses.

But I like how you totally ignore how the "progressive and compassionate" established medical pot distributors lobbied against legalization in the state to protect their monopoly directly protected by the laws which make pot illegal and then jump back onto your anti-"right wing" spiel.

As I said earlier, I blame the religious notion that 'you can't have any fun you don't first suffer hard to earn' for the laws against taking substances that ease pain and make people happy. This is a kind of self hate, but it is affirmed as common sense by the fact that a lot of folk who are trying to escape pain are also filled with destructive self hate and use substances to destroy themselves.

I believe that prohibiting some evil makes the evil alluring but no regulation at all leads to chaos. I therefore recommend a society free from mental illness that doesn't need government to tell people what to do, that each healthy mind can determine for itself whether it wants drugs. The idea that somebody who is religiously ill can tell a healthy person what to do should get them kicked in the ass and the idea that a sick person should be allowed to kill himself makes me sick.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Which reminds me:

"I am convinced that there are genuine and valid levels of perception available with cannabis (and probably with other drugs) which are, through the defects of our society and our educational system, unavailable to us without such drugs."

Carl Sagan (1934-1996) was a lifelong user of marijuana.

POD-111010-CarlSagan-thumb-640x445.jpeg

As someone who has worked around alcohol for decades (and drunks) it's the worst gateway drug. And VERY expensive for peoples stretched budgets.

(only thing that will bring a together person down faster is crack -granted heroin will just kill you outright instead of slowly like meth or booze)

Moderation and knowing oneself and limits is a very tough personal responsibility aspect that far too many lack. Or afraid/too lazy to face. It reaches all over ones life besides substances for escapism.

You can bet your ass, I think, that the notion of ONE GOD was the result of a drug induced vision.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
You can bet your ass, I think, that the notion of ONE GOD was the result of a drug induced vision.

Monotheism always seemed like a selfish drunkards creation. The big gods are pretty petty about being told how awesome they are daily with no room for criticism, and quite insecure like the proverbial crying drunk type.

Maybe Bacchus is going through rough times with the pink elephants/split personalities. A few thousand years of pickling your gourd will do that.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Monotheism always seemed like a selfish drunkards creation. The big gods are pretty petty about being told how awesome they are daily with no room for criticism, and quite insecure like the proverbial crying drunk type.

Maybe Bacchus is going through rough times with the pink elephants/split personalities. A few thousand years of pickling your gourd will do that.

I don't think so. That's what the drunks did with the idea. The idea itself is that there is one truth that covers all and its expression is tailored to a time, a place, and a people. The one truth is the same, but its expression evolves. That's why God keeps coming back from time to time to refresh the message. God finds somebody who has no ego and walks in.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
"Religiously ill" is going to be the name of my new christian rap group. Thanks Moonbeam.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hmm, so the dark ages were a really a big blackout/hangover? *strokes pointy goatee with serious stare* I see Moonie.

Not sure you do. I think the god you don't believe in and the god those folks believe in doesn't exist. God isn't a person or a spirit or some magic force, in my opinion, but a realization that changes your consciousness, a collapse of duality with the experience of a kind of love that the ego can't reach but comes only by grace when the ego dies at the end of its rope. Not something that words can really explain. And not something one can argue. I know there is an experience of love that changes everything. I know and have no doubt. And I know because I experienced something that took me from the darkest state of hopelessness to joy in about a second.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Not sure you do. I think the god you don't believe in and the god those folks believe in doesn't exist. God isn't a person or a spirit or some magic force, in my opinion, but a realization that changes your consciousness, a collapse of duality with the experience of a kind of love that the ego can't reach but comes only by grace when the ego dies at the end of its rope. Not something that words can really explain. And not something one can argue. I know there is an experience of love that changes everything. I know and have no doubt. And I know because I experienced something that took me from the darkest state of hopelessness to joy in about a second.

You ever live in LA?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76RWWl01JMc

It's true too, I always do my best thinking on the bus (or the shower).

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
just think of all the opportunities the libTards have had to legalize your precious dope yet it's still illegal.

Why are you angry at marijuana? And yes, it we take an unbiased view at marijuana and it's potential, it actually is 'precious'.