Romney will fight marijuana legalization 'Tooth and Nail'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
lol

people complaining a Mormon is against drugs and alchohol? and others thinking Obama would do anything diffrent?

Only difference is Romney came and said he would be against it. Well duh! wtf if he came out and said he wasn't you guys would be calling him a liar.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Says it's a gateway drug.

Quote:

‎"I would not legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes, and the reasons are straightforward: As I talk to people in my state and at the federal government level about marijuana and its role in society, they are convinced that the entry way into a drug culture for our young people is marijuana. Marijuana is the starter drug....The idea of medical marijuana is designed to get marijuana out in the public marketplace and ultimately lead to the legalization of marijuana overall. And in my view, that's the wrong way to go. I know that other people have differing views. If you'd like to get someone who is in favor of marijuana, I know there are some on the Democratic side of the aisle who will be happy to get in your campaign. But I'm opposed to it, and if you elect me president, you're not going to see legalized marijuana. I'm going to fight it tooth and nail."

-Mitt Romney

http://reason.com/blog/2012/09/07/ro...uana-legalizat

That is why a vote for Romney is a vote to go back to everything that was George W. Bush.....can we all say a step backwards??

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
The reason romney is doing this isn't because of big pharma, it's because of the marijuana cartels and the police officer unions... that is, I think that he's looking for money from Mexican drug cartels. I have good reason to suspect that the reason Hillary Clinton supported centralization of marijuana policy was because she was in the pockets of the latin american drug cartels.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
The reason romney is doing this isn't because of big pharma, it's because of the marijuana cartels and the police officer unions... that is, I think that he's looking for money from Mexican drug cartels. I have good reason to suspect that the reason Hillary Clinton supported centralization of marijuana policy was because she was in the pockets of the latin american drug cartels.

o_O

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
There's a difference though. Obummer smoked it, and his original stance was that MMJ was ok if the state's allowed it. I suspect he'll loosen up in his 2nd term, but didn't test the waters because he didn't want to risk the fallout.

Mitt's straightup saying he doesn't understand the reality of the drug.

Not really, he was even more strict on MMJ then BUSH. He has been shutting down MMJ places here in Cali left and right. He has been one of the worst thing for Medical Marijuana.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
That is why a vote for Romney is a vote to go back to everything that was George W. Bush.....can we all say a step backwards??

I hate romney as much as anyone else, but he would not be a step back compared to obama. Obama has been worst than Bush for medical marijuana. Obama has been engaging in all out war on medical marijuana in California.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
I fear Romney would start bringing back phrases like "public enemy #1" and shit. Obama hasn't been nearly the friend he advertised himself as before 2008, what with allowing his own memos to be entirely ignored by the DEA. However, Romney has only ever painted himself as an enemy to the idea of even MMJ.

It goes beyond ignoring his memo, the FACT is the U.S Attorneys involved in the constant raiding of medical marijuana locations are APPOINTED by Obama and serve at Obama's pleasure. So their is no way they are doing this without his approval.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I hate romney as much as anyone else, but he would not be a step back compared to obama. Obama has been worst than Bush for medical marijuana. Obama has been engaging in all out war on medical marijuana in California.

but but but...he did play good lip service to the MMJ crowd early on.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Ah yes, the party which opposes government restriction of personal freedoms, and which opposes government intervention in people's lives - except for what goes on in the privacy of someone's home.

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

Coming from 95% of the posters, I would think this was a joke. Coming from you... somehow I think you're serious.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Romney will fight marijuana legalization 'Tooth and Nail'

Says it's a gateway drug.

http://reason.com/blog/2012/09/07/romney-vows-to-fight-marijuana-legalizat

Well his buddy says it's up to the states not his ass

9-8-2012

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/07/paul-ryan-marijuana-legalization_n_1866180.html

Paul Ryan On Medical Marijuana Legalization: 'Let The States Decide'

In an interview with Colorado station KRDO-TV, Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan says he believes it's up to the states to decide whether to legalize medical marijuana.

"My personal position on these issues has been let the states decide what they want to do with these things," he explains. "This is something that is not a high priority of ours."

Ryan and Romney may differ in their posture toward medical marijuana legalization, but it's worth noting that President Barack Obama has been no ally to advancing the issue. Under the Obama administration, the federal government has taken action to crack down on dispensaries in states like Colorado and California.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Big Pharma, the only drug dealer you need.

Most painkillers are unofficially illegal. They crack down on doctors who prescribe them. Anyone in serious pain is just plain fucked in the United States as our fanatical zealots wage war on our citizens.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
and being serious about this, romney is a flucking idiot. education is the only way to stop drugs. and happiness. our education is only for the wealthy and hardly anyone is happy right now. thats the real gateway.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
and being serious about this, romney is a flucking idiot. education is the only way to stop drugs. and happiness. our education is only for the wealthy and hardly anyone is happy right now. thats the real gateway.

The real "gateway" to drugs is alcohol. Everybody knows this.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Even if pot was some "bad drug that gets you addicted to heroin", WHO CARES. I dont need you or big brother holding my hand while I cross the street nor do I need you babysitting me and telling me whats OK to do.