Romney will fight marijuana legalization 'Tooth and Nail'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I've used alcohol and MJ, and never have had any interesting in "snorting a line".

Talk of drug legalization is "talk only". No action will be taken, ever, to change it's legality. Even at a state level, it will still be illegal. The American people are brainwashed, and that is the biggest obstacle. Not to mention, the big wigs know it will hurt their pharmaceutical sales.

The government and large corporations stacked the deck. I'm not even sure why it is part of discussion anymore. I pretty much treat it like it is legal, and will openly talk about my use with it and offer it to others.

The state scoped legalization efforts in Washington and Colorado both look like they will easily pass this time. Polling much better than California's prop 19 did, and it barely lost.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Another Romney mistake. He could have scored large points cheaply by saying he favors a Federal lifting of restriction, treat/tax it like alcohol, and leave it up to states how to implement. Why he didn't do this, I can't imagine...

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
The state scoped legalization efforts in Washington and Colorado both look like they will easily pass this time. Polling much better than California's prop 19 did, and it barely lost.
One can only hope. I sure do, but it is still light years away from where we should be.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
This just goes to show that Romney is going to hold the line of the war on drugs that has been failing for years... At least Obama has been somewhat relaxed on it.

Yes, I hear the raids going on in cali... but doesn't mean the average dope smoker can't grow it! I too think it's possible Obama might loosen up a bit more in his second term...

It's NOT just the 10 stoners ... It's the frigen AMERICAN PEOPLE! By far the people support the legalization of Marijuana as a popular vote. I would think that Romney is digging his hole deeper and deeper. I don't smoke it. But I think it should be legal for anyone that wants to smoke it to do so. I use to smoke it. I also think a lot of money is in it and heck if that money could be used for taxes not billions spent to keep fighting this and looking people up.

You know what this idiot will do? Probably bring back looking people up for longer times and passing out felonies for growing. Do we really want to go back to that?

Look, I'm going out on limb here and for my ONE SINGLE exception I'm agreeing with Pat Robertson? Huh? What? Wait?

Yes Wait for it!

"I became sort of a hero of the hippie culture, I guess, when I said I think we ought to decriminalize the possession of marijuana," Robertson said, according to Reason magazine. "I just think it's shocking how many of these young people wind up in prison and they get turned into hardcore criminals because they had a possession of a very small amount of controlled substance. The whole thing is crazy. We've said, 'we're conservative, we're tough on crime.' That's baloney. It's costing us billions and billions of dollars."

Robertson blamed left-wing lawmakers for the harsh sanctions.

Hahaha! He better start re-thinking voting for the Right!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/06/pat-robertson-marijuana-pot-_n_1324828.html

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This just goes to show that Romney is going to hold the line of the war on drugs that has been failing for years... At least Obama has been somewhat relaxed on it.

Yes, I hear the raids going on in cali... but doesn't mean the average dope smoker can't grow it! I too think it's possible Obama might loosen up a bit more in his second term...

Fortunately for you, Kool Aid is not a controlled substance...

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Big Pharma, the only drug dealer you need.

I don't necessarily think that big pharma is quite the enemy of legalization that they are made out to be. Sure they couldn't really control people growing it, BUT they could very easily fill a huge demand for things like synthetic, or pill versions for people that don't like/can't smoke. Even though yea, government couldn't control growing, they could easily crank out synthetic versions, pill forms, patchs, vaporizing products, etc, much faster than one could grow a good crop. Same with big tobacco, it wouldn't take much at all for current tobacco farmers to jump in the pot game.

Never thought i'd say this, but it actually is a gateway drug. Most people wouldn't go from having a beer to snorting a line.

I hope my sarcasm detector is just busted.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
The gateway to marijuana is tobacco. We should make tobacco illegal.

Water leads to milk, which leads to juice, which leads to soda, leading to tea, leading to coffee, leading to wine, leading to beer, which leads to vodka, which leads to tobacco, leading to everclear, that leads to marijuana.

Ironically MJ is the safest drug out of all the other drugs in that list.

MAKE WATER ILLEGAL, SAVE THE CHILDREN!!

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Another Romney mistake. He could have scored large points cheaply by saying he favors a Federal lifting of restriction, treat/tax it like alcohol, and leave it up to states how to implement. Why he didn't do this, I can't imagine...

Because he is an ignorant moron.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Fortunately tinfoil is for you. Do us all a favor and stop snorting it. Your doing it wrong...

Derpity derp derpy derp?

You actually believe that Obama has made any change in drug policy? Let's see some of those liberally biased facts that you nutters love to talk about. Prove that anything has changed or will change under Obama when it comes to illegal drugs.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I don't necessarily think that big pharma is quite the enemy of legalization that they are made out to be. Sure they couldn't really control people growing it, BUT they could very easily fill a huge demand for things like synthetic, or pill versions for people that don't like/can't smoke. Even though yea, government couldn't control growing, they could easily crank out synthetic versions, pill forms, patchs, vaporizing products, etc, much faster than one could grow a good crop. Same with big tobacco, it wouldn't take much at all for current tobacco farmers to jump in the pot game.

All this stuff already exists w/o big pharma. Prop 215 made it happen.

The synthetic stuff that exists now (from big pharma), sucks balls.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Writing off the youth demographic, next.... what's left....

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
All this stuff already exists w/o big pharma. Prop 215 made it happen.

There are limits on what can be done currently due to laws, without those there would be a much better ability to refine products and bring them to market

The synthetic stuff that exists now (from big pharma), sucks balls.

"Big Pharma" is not a single company, once it is legalized there will be a reason, and competition to produce a better product.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Writing off the youth demographic, next.... what's left....

Heck, writing off portions of every demographic, and yeah, maybe a little more youth than others. I really am starting to wonder if the Reps seriously wanted to make a real go at winning for POTUS or if they wanted to give a 'good enough' appearance and just are content with letting Obama slog it out with them for the next 4 years.

Then come 2016 they can point to 8 years of Obama and be virtually assured presidency. They better pray they can keep a House majority for that period of time and not hand Dems a fillibuster proof majority in the Senate. Might work for them for 2 more years, but another 2? Not sure if the country would reward them again at that point...

Chuck

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Because he is an ignorant moron.

This may sound crazy, but I actually am starting to believe Santorum was right: The Reps would have been better off with him than Romney. McCain must be cynically laughing at the establishment daily...

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
At least he's honest about it. Obama hasn't done shit to decriminalize it. At any moment he could order his DEA buddies to stop making arrests for drug crimes but he doesn't.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This may sound crazy, but I actually am starting to believe Santorum was right: The Reps would have been better off with him than Romney. McCain must be cynically laughing at the establishment daily...

As much as I despise pretty much everything Santorum stands for, at least I believe that he actually believes in what he is saying.

Romney on the other hand........

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Derpity derp derpy derp?

You actually believe that Obama has made any change in drug policy? Let's see some of those liberally biased facts that you nutters love to talk about. Prove that anything has changed or will change under Obama when it comes to illegal drugs.

I guess you read my post wrong... I said it was a possibility.

Better than Romney tho saying he's gonna fight it tooth and nail! Clearly he is on a rampage about the war on drugs and is gonna do everything he can to lock up ever dope smoker/grower out there for many many years.

At least Obama is open to listening to it as any president should since half of american voters support it's legalization.

http://norml.org/about/smoke-the-vote#obama

I think you can draw up your own conclusion.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

As much as I despise Santorum, at least he has a spine. There is however no way in hell he will ever see the presidency.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
so he just lost the vote of the 10 potheads who even remember to vote
:D

I fear Romney would start bringing back phrases like "public enemy #1" and shit. Obama hasn't been nearly the friend he advertised himself as before 2008, what with allowing his own memos to be entirely ignored by the DEA. However, Romney has only ever painted himself as an enemy to the idea of even MMJ.
Um, casting his net of protection over the BATFE's entire "Fast and Furious" travesty is a bit more proactive than "allowing his own memos to be entirely ignored by the DEA".