Romney: Who Is The VP?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
He should pick Woopie Goldberg. He could say he wants her on his ticket to help keep him grounded and in touch with the needs of the black community. That he values her opinion and a bunch of other lies.

Would make the race interesting with a Mitt/Woopie ticket.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Probably said already, but I haven't read the 4 pages yet. So inserting obligatory <Ron Paul> will still win post.

Even though I support him and will vote for him, it is obvious that to many people don't, and also obvious that whether people support a candidate or not has nothing to do with supposed intelligence.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
They could go the hot chick route again. Don't know much about her. Kristi Noem US Rep SD
kristi-noem-1.jpg

What do you mean again? I am not thinking that to many people think of Palin as "hot".

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
What do you mean again? I am not thinking that to many people think of Palin as "hot".

You need to look back at when she was first announced at the vice-president candidate. Even many of the hardcore leftists in this forum were talking about crawling a mile over broken glass......

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You need to look back at when she was first announced at the vice-president candidate. Even many of the hardcore leftists in this forum were talking about crawling a mile over broken glass......

Hardly, at least wrt "Leftists", whatever that's supposed to mean. She's an attractive middle aged woman, until she opens her mouth, and she'll always open her mouth, so there it is.

Balding, overweight & over-entitled middle aged Righties were known to refer to her as their "dream wife", however.

Romney's running mate? Eric Cantor, one of the darlings of the Tea party. It'd earn Boehner's undying affection, bet on that, because it'd get Cantor out of the HOR, and out of position to slip some cement overshoes on Boehner. Or he could establish some bona fides with the base fringewhacks by picking Jan Brewer...

The possibilities are endless.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Hardly, at least wrt "Leftists", whatever that's supposed to mean. She's an attractive middle aged woman, until she opens her mouth, and she'll always open her mouth, so there it is.

Balding, overweight & over-entitled middle aged Righties were known to refer to her as their "dream wife", however.

Romney's running mate? Eric Cantor, one of the darlings of the Tea party. It'd earn Boehner's undying affection, bet on that, because it'd get Cantor out of the HOR, and out of position to slip some cement overshoes on Boehner. Or he could establish some bona fides with the base fringewhacks by picking Jan Brewer...

The possibilities are endless.

"Leftists or lefty is not a derogatory term to me, it's just the opposite of a righty or rightist. It just describes a particular place along the political spectrum. Although I occasionally use the term "liberal" it has so many different definitions it doesn't really mean anything anymore. I'm sure my definition of "liberal" will be different then your definition of "liberal", but most of us can agree on righty and lefty as generic political terms.
Let me go back and check, I distinctly remember some of our resident lefties as being willing to tap it though.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
As things stand right now i'd go with Senator Rubio.

1. He's a Senator in a toss-up State.
2. Hispanic male.
3. Gov. Scott (R) appoints his replacement.

Rubio is CUBAN. He will be a lock for southern FL, and a liability everywhere else in the US.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Eh...I think Palin should be given another shot at VP. It will remind us all how the Repub vetting process works so damn well.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Dems have their own flubbers to ignore, but Palin?....well, what can I say? After losing the election in '08, she went off the deep end and was last seen chasing a bull moose down the road from her house trying to beat it unconcious with one of those thousands of "Palin for Prez" signs she had printed up from June of last year. j/k

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Republican vetting process? You've got to be kidding.

Who is this Obama guy? Do you know anything about him.....sorry.....Him?

Didn't think so.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Cain is more solidly conservative than Romney, so he might placate the far right vote.
How is Cain "more solidly conservative"? He wants to raise corporate taxes through the roof in addition to his 9-9-9 proposal being revenue neutral, he had supported affirmative action, he's pro-war, he supported the bailouts, and he supports the Fed. Some were even complaining that he wasn't pro-life enough.
I'll bet it won't be a white man. They'll have to find some way to woo the "non-white male" vote in order to have any chance against Obama. __________________
It may not be a white man but they'll try it anyway. That said, if they think selecting a black person or a female will get them more of the black or female vote, then they're retarded. If anything, most blacks hate black conservatives more than they hate white conservatives.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
If anything, most blacks hate black conservatives more than they hate white conservatives.

They do, and I find it strange. The DNC has done next to nothing but keep them impoverished, yet strangely enough most blacks are stuck to them like cheesecake to Rosie Odonnel.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
I wouldn't be completely surprised if he asked Herman Cain. Cain is more solidly conservative than Romney, so he might placate the far right vote. He's a minority, so it might pull some of the minority vote from Obama. He's Tea Party, so he might motivate that demographic. And he's crazy enough that no one really wants him to be President, so no one will kill Romney because they don't want that nutball Cain in the office.

Remember the talk of people voting against McCain/Palin because of fears Palin is one heart attack/bullet/etc. from the presidency?

Feb 10, 2000
They do, and I find it strange. The DNC has done next to nothing but keep them impoverished, yet strangely enough most blacks are stuck to them like cheesecake to Rosie Odonnel.

I actually agree that liberal social policies (beginning with the Great Society) have helped establish African Americans as a permanent underclass in this country. I believe these policies were well-intentioned but they have been highly effective at disempowering the recipients of all those benefits. My own state, Minnesota, is politically fairly liberal, and has relatively generous public assistance, but has the greatest disparity in unemployment rates between white people and black people in the United States. That being said, the recipients are dependent on them for a living, so they will fight tooth and nail to keep them. It's kind of societal codependency. African Americans vote Democrat more reliably than even people who self-identify as Democrats.

All of that being said, I think what the Republicans have to offer is, on its face, worse for poor people (a disproportionate percentage of whom are persons of color) - it's not as though they have made any real outreach toward black people.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
not:
any of the peoples that ran in the primaries or in 2008
white guys

yes:
woman
more conservative than Romney, but not someone as far right as Palin was compared to McLame

possibly Senator Kelly Ayotte (problem is she is also from the northeast) or Governor Nikki Haley (being from the South is a good balance) or Governor Susana Martinez from the West

the population of the USA (and world) is at least 50% female and there has never been a female US vice/president

BTW, Obama should replace Joe Biden with Hilary Clinton also, to guarantee a female VP, then within the next 1-3 elections we should have a female president as well

Last edited:

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
with the GOP's recent anti-women issues, I'm not sure a woman VP helps a ton at this point

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
Rubio is CUBAN. He will be a lock for southern FL, and a liability everywhere else in the US.

I think Rubio would be a great pick to get his name out there so when Romney loses people will know who Rubio is in 2016. What liabilities does he have?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I actually agree that liberal social policies (beginning with the Great Society) have helped establish African Americans as a permanent underclass in this country. I believe these policies were well-intentioned but they have been highly effective at disempowering the recipients of all those benefits. My own state, Minnesota, is politically fairly liberal, and has relatively generous public assistance, but has the greatest disparity in unemployment rates between white people and black people in the United States. That being said, the recipients are dependent on them for a living, so they will fight tooth and nail to keep them. It's kind of societal codependency. African Americans vote Democrat more reliably than even people who self-identify as Democrats.

All of that being said, I think what the Republicans have to offer is, on its face, worse for poor people (a disproportionate percentage of whom are persons of color) - it's not as though they have made any real outreach toward black people.

I think the reason the GOP has not bothered to reach out to the black community is because it does not matter if they do or not, the result is the same. When a republican black man runs for office, he is labeled an oreo, a house slave, a race traitor, etc. Why waste limited monetary resources on a completely lost cause?

Eventually, the black community will wake up and realize the DNC is playing them for fools and they will start demanding change. Once that happens, you can expect the GOP to start pandering to them as well. Not saying that is will actually cause any real change, though.