Romney: Tests show more than 1,000 bolts considered 'unreliable'

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Text

BOSTON (AP) ? Gov. Mitt Romney said Monday that tests show more than 1,100 bolt assemblies that used epoxy and more than 300 other areas in a Big Dig connector tunnel where the ceiling collapsed are unreliable.
Romney, speaking at a Statehouse news conference where he drew charts and diagrams of the trouble spots, said all will have to be reinforced.

"In grabbing ahold of these bolts and pulling on them with excess force, they're letting go ... at lower pressures than they were designed to handle," Romney said.

"That suggests that this epoxy system is not working ... and for that reason we can't count on it," he said.

Last week, days after 12 tons of ceiling panels came loose and fell on a car, crushing a passenger, the governor announced that inspections had found at least 242 points where bolts were separating from the tunnel roof.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
damn

the engineers effed up on that one :(

edit - at least the colleges will get another real life case study :)

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
I'm so glad they spent so many years, and so much money on that waste of space. Good going Boston.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Sphexi
I'm so glad they spent so many years, and so much money on that waste of space. Good going Boston.

more than likely the contractor will have to replace it and might end up going bankrupt in the process.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
LOL, that's just what those liberal Massholes deserve, what with all their corrupt politicians and construction rackets. That's a Tammany Hall construction project if I ever saw one!!

;)

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: UNCjigga
LOL, that's just what those liberal Massholes deserve, what with all their corrupt politicians and construction rackets. That's a Tammany Hall construction project if I ever saw one!!

;)

We can't help being so awesome.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: UNCjigga

;)

I was thinking along similar lines but no one deserves to die, I hope you did not mean that. No worries.....they will just raise taxes on something or other and the people will gladly open their pockets to be raped....that they do deserve.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
My ex roommate was an engineer near that section of the big dig. He said that subcontractor that did that portion did a shoddy job. In fact, they offered him a job and he flat out turned them down.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Cattlegod

more than likely the contractor will have to replace it and might end up going bankrupt in the process.

It sounds to me like it was bad engineering more than it was bad installation. If it was a couple bolts I would say someone screwed up. Since it is hundreds (at least), that indicates a larger problem to me.

<---wonders why the hell epoxy was used instead of hard brackets.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Cattlegod

Bechtel was the prime contractor on the job. Not likely this will even make a dent in their pockets.

q]Originally posted by: UNCjigga

;)[/quote]

Yeah, blame it on labor....most likely, from the reports I've read, this has been a problem from the start, and a lot of things were covered up...blame that on the greedy contractot, crooked inspectors, and tons of political pressure to finish the over-budget job...at any cost...

I used to work for the contractor who did the Tede Williams tunnel.
http://www.pbs.org/greatprojects/tour/bigdig_7.html
Quite an undertaking in itself, but overall, just a small piece of the most expensive construction project in US history.
http://www.pbs.org/greatprojects/tour/bigdig_1.html

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Once Washington refuses to give Mitt more money... the dark age of Taxachusetts will rear it's ugly head once again.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Once Washington refuses to give Mitt more money... the dark age of Taxachusetts will rear it's ugly head once again.

I hope i'm right but No way in hell taxachusetts will pay off the project. i will truly lose all respect for the state if it does that.