Romney likely much richer than he is disclosing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Hes just uber rich, he shits out 100 dollar bills. BUT remember! As he has said so himself, he knows how the common people feel and the burdens that we go through as far as the economy being shit goes! His car elevator would have been completed a full month earlier if the economy was good. Obviously the man knows our pain. He has lived without a car elevator afterall, thats something we can all relate to..

Do you know anything about Romney's past? Or are you under the impression he was fed with a silver spoon? :rolleyes:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Do you know anything about Romney's past? Or are you under the impression he was fed with a silver spoon? :rolleyes:

He was fed with a silver spoon. Oh wait, i forgot when he first graduated college he didn't have much money yet so he was forced to sell some of the stock he got from his CEO dad, truly a life struggling story :'(

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
He was fed with a silver spoon. Oh wait, i forgot when he first graduated college he didn't have much money yet so he was forced to sell some of the stock he got from his CEO dad, truly a life struggling story :'(

Then there's the fact that he got deferrments from fighting in vietnam thanks to his 'missionary work' in France (FRANCE? ARE YOU SHITTING ME?) ... where he lived in a fucking mansion too. Edit: Forgot the fact that he was personally FOR the vietnam war, and his father had turned against it (i guess the apple does fall far from the tree in this case). Another shithead chickenhawk.

It's almost like he was a street urchin! *conservatives.txt*

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
so in other words, we need a ghetto, broke guy to run for president?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
so in other words, we need a ghetto, broke guy to run for president?

No, but i would certainly prefer NOT to have yet another rich plutocrat who will push bills through for his OWN interests rather than the American people's

Again, he pays a 14% effective tax rate (i pay a higher rate) and he's running on a campaign to lower his OWN taxes. That is scandalous.

Last edited:

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
I was unaware that we couldn't elect someone who happened to have some business savvy and made a lot of money. So who are the people who came up with this? Seems to me if he can get this country back to good health more power to him.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
it wouldnt matter who is president, they are not truely in control. their more of a set piece.:sneaky:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I was unaware that we couldn't elect someone who happened to have some business savvy and made a lot of money. So who are the people who came up with this? Seems to me if he can get this country back to good health more power to him.

Well, yeh, of course. If we could only move Uncle Sam's money into offshore accounts, transfer ownership to a trust held by Mrs Sam, claim no benefit to ourselves from the whole deal, why, we could save the Republic. Well, right after we outsource or offshore every job in America, other than the job of outsourcing & offshoring to make the rich even richer-

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/off-and-out-with-mitt-romney/

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Yeah, I don't really get it either. I couldn't care less if Romney is rich or not...I care whether he seems like he'd be a good President. I can't imagine I'm alone in thinking that...

Thats how it should be, though Romney will make a terrible president, but some people seem to care other wise.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Its good that Bill Gates has a charity, however its odd that it excludes White people [and White children]. A white kid who is dirt poor and could benefit from a Scholarship is instantly on the "do not apply" list for the sole reason for being born white, however a equally poor black kid is allowed to apply...

This to me is a legitimate criticism but if you're bringing it up to make Mitt Romney look better somehow...

That dog won't hunt with me.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Well, yeh, of course. If we could only move Uncle Sam's money into offshore accounts, transfer ownership to a trust held by Mrs Sam, claim no benefit to ourselves from the whole deal, why, we could save the Republic. Well, right after we outsource or offshore every job in America, other than the job of outsourcing & offshoring to make the rich even richer-

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/off-and-out-with-mitt-romney/

Thanks, you continue to amuse and entertain.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
and your obama is infinitely more corrupt then the willing accomplices in the media will report.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
and your obama is infinitely more corrupt then the willing accomplices in the media will report.

that's said about every president in recent times. i don't think anyone who is president could be legit if they wanted to, theres too many other factors and too many others in control and too many others giving ill advice to him.

fact is, we wouldn't be happy with any president in place of Obama. too many people in various powers influencing their desires, holding hostage what they can, blackmailing who they can to get what they want.

Unions want this, churches want that, some republicans want the other, others try to group together and act like little kids to disrupt something....its not Obama, he may be the easy scapegoat but in reality he's a set piece in a chessboard. Theres a lot of issue's where his hands just get tied and has to re amend to get bills passed by agreeing to things he may not really want to see in them but has no choice if he wants it passed.

Last edited by a moderator:

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000

Yep, you don't get anywhere in Chicago politics without being corrupt in one way or the other. It is their trademark.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Stephen King donates sizable sums of money to local fire departments. He also donates to local libraries.

Interesting that you'd mention King, particularly considering his opinion of other wealthy individuals in general-

Tough shit for you guys, because I’m not tired of talking about it. I’ve known rich people, and why not, since I’m one of them? The majority would rather douse their dicks with lighter fluid, strike a match, and dance around singing “Disco Inferno” than pay one more cent in taxes to Uncle Sugar.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/30/stephen-king-tax-me-for-f-s-sake.html

It's a scathing indictment of the headsets of Rich-worshippers everywhere.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
7-4-2012

http://news.yahoo.com/assets-offshore-hint-larger-romney-wealth-064205424.html

Assets offshore hint at larger Romney wealth

For nearly 15 years, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's financial portfolio has included an offshore company that remained invisible to voters as his political star rose.

Based in Bermuda, Sankaty High Yield Asset Investors Ltd. was not listed on any of Romney's state or federal financial reports. The company is among several Romney holdings that have not been fully disclosed, including one that recently posted a $1.9 million earning — suggesting he could be wealthier than the nearly $250 million estimated by his campaign.

Sankaty was transferred to a trust owned by Romney's wife, Ann, one day before he was sworn in as Massachusetts governor in 2003

The mystery surrounding Sankaty reinforces Romney's history of keeping a tight rein on his public dealings, already documented by his use of private email and computer purges as Massachusetts governor and his refusal to disclose his top fundraisers.

Named for a historic Massachusetts coastal lighthouse, Sankaty was part of a cluster of similarly named hedge funds run by Bain Capital, the private equity firm Romney founded and led until 1999.

The offshore company was used in Bain's $1 billion takeover of Domino's Pizza and other multimillion-dollar investment deals more than a decade ago.

Romney has said he gets no tax break. He told an audience at a Maine town hall appearance in February that "I have not saved one dollar by having an investment somewhere outside this country."

But the lack of disclosure over the years, private equity experts said, makes it impossible to tell.

"Without knowing more about an offshore's history and how it was used," Fleischer said, "you're left in the dark."

So what? It is legal. Can you prove he is doing anything illegal?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So what? It is legal. Can you prove he is doing anything illegal?

That's not the point. His pronouncements on the subject are a lot less than candid, actually deceptive-

"I have not saved one dollar by having an investment somewhere outside this country."

Even if his wife's offshore trust is highly profitable, legitimizing & obfuscating investment funds from whatever sources might choose to invest with Bain... That's "her" company, her trust, her money, not "his", even though he created it & transferred it to her back in 2003.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I think the scandal here is that Mitt Romney is filthy rich, yet pays only 14% tax rate and is running on a platform on lowering taxes on the already ludicrously low taxes that he pays. And many of us on P&N pay a higher tax rate than he does (including me). That is scandalous and should disqualify him from holding ANY sort of office.

He's free to run on any greedy, selfish platform he wants. If 100 million people vote for him, then Mitt is obviously not the problem.