Romney likely much richer than he is disclosing

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
7-4-2012

http://news.yahoo.com/assets-offshore-hint-larger-romney-wealth-064205424.html

Assets offshore hint at larger Romney wealth

For nearly 15 years, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's financial portfolio has included an offshore company that remained invisible to voters as his political star rose.

Based in Bermuda, Sankaty High Yield Asset Investors Ltd. was not listed on any of Romney's state or federal financial reports. The company is among several Romney holdings that have not been fully disclosed, including one that recently posted a $1.9 million earning — suggesting he could be wealthier than the nearly $250 million estimated by his campaign.

Sankaty was transferred to a trust owned by Romney's wife, Ann, one day before he was sworn in as Massachusetts governor in 2003

The mystery surrounding Sankaty reinforces Romney's history of keeping a tight rein on his public dealings, already documented by his use of private email and computer purges as Massachusetts governor and his refusal to disclose his top fundraisers.

Named for a historic Massachusetts coastal lighthouse, Sankaty was part of a cluster of similarly named hedge funds run by Bain Capital, the private equity firm Romney founded and led until 1999.

The offshore company was used in Bain's $1 billion takeover of Domino's Pizza and other multimillion-dollar investment deals more than a decade ago.

Romney has said he gets no tax break. He told an audience at a Maine town hall appearance in February that "I have not saved one dollar by having an investment somewhere outside this country."

But the lack of disclosure over the years, private equity experts said, makes it impossible to tell.

"Without knowing more about an offshore's history and how it was used," Fleischer said, "you're left in the dark."

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
So is Romney rich, or is he rich rich? People gotta know! o_O

Yeah, I don't really get it either. I couldn't care less if Romney is rich or not...I care whether he seems like he'd be a good President. I can't imagine I'm alone in thinking that...

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
The problem with Romney is not that he is rich, it is that he is comfortable with taking $400k salary from the tax payers to fuck things up even more. It bothers me that U.S. gov representatives get paid for what they do.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I think the scandal here is that Mitt Romney is filthy rich, yet pays only 14% tax rate and is running on a platform on lowering taxes on the already ludicrously low taxes that he pays. And many of us on P&N pay a higher tax rate than he does (including me). That is scandalous and should disqualify him from holding ANY sort of office.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Absolutely not

I am however 100% against greed.

There is a difference that clearly you do not know.

I suspect that is because you are rich and greedy.

Well then at the end of the month after you pay your bills, then give the rest of your money to Charity. And BTW, you only need enough channels on your TV to get the news, so anything else like having Cable is greedy. You also only need one tv, or better yet, no TV. Go watch the news at the neighbors house. You can eat rice every day so please return any food items more expensive to the store as that is greedy.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
who gives a shit if he is just rich or super rich? it effects me none.

good for him. I wish was super rich.

And hell no i won't be vetoing for him. I don't think he is right for the job.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Shows he knows how to run a business, it's not like he's a Lawyer or anything...

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Absolutely not

I am however 100% against greed.

There is a difference that clearly you do not know.

I suspect that is because you are rich and greedy.

/wonders who an example is of someone who is wealthy but not greedy. Who is a good rich person?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I have no problem with Romney's wealth other than I wonder how many people lost their jobs/companies for him to obtain that wealth.

I worry more about where the money going to his election that can't be traced or disclosed is comming from.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Really?

Someone who helped run an investment capital firm that amongst other things bought struggling companies and instead of investing in them and making them better extracted the assets to make money.

Republicans never mention that (other than New Gingrinch) they mention successful companies that Bain capital had smaller investment in.

He's richer than we believe? Naaaaaah can't be I mean the Swiss let us know how much people put into their Swiss banks right? Anyone who would put their money in that account in the first place has no interest in being cagey about their assets right?

good for him. I wish was super rich.

It depends on how far you're willing to go. Would you throw hundreds of Americans out of work for your wealth?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Well then at the end of the month after you pay your bills, then give the rest of your money to Charity.

There is how I know that you are rich and greedy.

At the end of the month there is nothing left to give to charity.

Last month for example got down to $12.74 left in the bank account.

You clearly have no idea how hard it is to make ends meet.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Who is a good rich person?

Off of the top of my head?

Stephen King donates sizable sums of money to local fire departments. He also donates to local libraries.

Bill Gates is the obvious example his trust fund from what I've heard is set up to continue after he passes away. People can nitpick about "oh he's getting charitable tax deductions" or "he's only trying to get publicity"

Maybe. However, if it gets results ulterior motives like those mentioned above aren't really much compared to what the foundation is doing.

It withdrew from ALEC so yeah it's not all wine and roses since it was a member. However it did the right thing about it, in my opinion, in the end.

http://www.republicreport.org/2012/breaking-bill-gates-foundation-withdraws-support-for-alec/

I'm sure there are many non famous rich people who give to charities and I'd put them in the same category as Bill Gates and Stephen King.

You don't have to give money away to be a good rich person either. Just don't make your money by ways that end up shipping jobs in the country you reside in over seas.

Mitt Romney? not so much.

Last edited:

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
So is Romney rich, or is he rich rich? People gotta know! o_O

Hes just uber rich, he shits out 100 dollar bills. BUT remember! As he has said so himself, he knows how the common people feel and the burdens that we go through as far as the economy being shit goes! His car elevator would have been completed a full month earlier if the economy was good. Obviously the man knows our pain. He has lived without a car elevator afterall, thats something we can all relate to..

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
There is how I know that you are rich and greedy.

At the end of the month there is nothing left to give to charity.

Last month for example got down to $12.74 left in the bank account.

You clearly have no idea how hard it is to make ends meet.

I am far from rich. It is rare that between my business and my side work that I go over 50k/year. My point is that anything beyond basic neccessities is a form of greed.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Off of the top of my head?

Stephen King donates sizable sums of money to local fire departments. He also donates to local libraries.

Bill Gates is the obvious example his trust fund from what I've heard is set up to continue after he passes away. People can nitpick about "oh he's getting charitable tax deductions" or "he's only trying to get publicity"

Maybe. However, if it gets results ulterior motives like those mentioned above aren't really much compared to what the foundation is doing.

It withdrew from ALEC so yeah it's not all wine and roses since it was a member. However it did the right thing about it, in my opinion, in the end.

http://www.republicreport.org/2012/breaking-bill-gates-foundation-withdraws-support-for-alec/

I'm sure there are many non famous rich people who give to charities and I'd put them in the same category as Bill Gates and Stephen King.

You don't have to give money away to be a good rich person either. Just don't make your money by ways that end up shipping jobs in the country you reside in over seas.

Mitt Romney? not so much.

Its good that Bill Gates has a charity, however its odd that it excludes White people [and White children]. A white kid who is dirt poor and could benefit from a Scholarship is instantly on the "do not apply" list for the sole reason for being born white, however a equally poor black kid is allowed to apply...

http://college.lovetoknow.com/Bill_Gates_Scholarship
""Bill Gates has made his scholarship fund off limits to white teenagers. The Gates Millennium Scholarship fund is financed by a $1 Billion endowment Bill Gates made in 1999. The fund explicitly denies eligibility to white students.

“Students are eligible to be considered for a GMS scholarship if they: Are African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian and Pacific Islander American, or Hispanic American;”