Romney: "I Like Being Able to Fire People"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Poor choice of words, certainly, but we all agree with the sentiment and if you don't something is wrong with you. BTW i think Romney is a scumbag, but I'm being fair with what he said.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
so, you're voting for Romney? :confused:

you can't fire someone without first hiring him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't be a dope Loki, I made in rather crystal clear I will not vote for Romney, and why.

Quit acting like a troll, Loki! Quit claiming to be confused, when all you are doing is proving you are trolling on this post.

IonusX

Dec 25, 2011
Agreed...I see absolutely nothing wrong with what he just said. I'm not saying that I support Romney, but what he just said follows my opinion exactly.
he made his living outsourcing US jobs overseas and firing US labor en mass. the guy has no intention of bringing jobs to america.. anyone can see that. this is openly admitted by mainstream media..

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Don't be a dope Loki, I made in rather crystal clear I will not vote for Romney, and why.

Quit acting like a troll, Loki! Quit claiming to be confused, when all you are doing is proving you are trolling on this post.
you're the one who's talking about wanting to fire Romney, I'm just confirming how you plan on bringing that about.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
"If someone doesn't give me the service I need, i'll find someone else to provide that service"
Only a dumbshit of a leftist would have a problem with firing someone that screws up by the numbers every day.
I guess that's why they're voting for Obama.

Democrats: mandating that no employer fires anyone, ever, no matter how incompetent they are at their jobs?

I thought that was a Bush-era policy.

Except that most of the crowd jumping on this comment are actually his GOP primary opponents. :whiste:

Carry on wingnuts, nothing to see here. :biggrin:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
"If someone doesn't give me the service I need, i'll find someone else to provide that service"
Only a dumbshit of a leftist would have a problem with firing someone that screws up by the numbers every day.
I guess that's why they're voting for Obama.

That is also why they support unions. One of the primary purposes of a union is to ensure that those who should be fired are paid well instead.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
he made his living outsourcing US jobs overseas and firing US labor en mass. the guy has no intention of bringing jobs to america.. anyone can see that. this is openly admitted by mainstream media..

Sure, that may be true...but that is not what he is saying in the video.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I wouldn't have a problem with a him firing a person over performance as opposed to firing someone in order to pad his own pocket.
What happens if you are not allowed to fire the person.?

Now you have to keep them on the dole accomplishing nothing.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Romney is right, so I will enjoy going to the ballot box and saying, Mitt Romney, you are fired. Meanwhile, on Anand tech, I can content my self for stating all the reasons we should fire Romney.

Concerning the presidential race, the only person that you can actually fire is Obama. Romney doesn't have the job yet so he can't be fired from it.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Your employer can fire the company if it isn't meeting expectations. BTW, if government assumes control of health care how are you going to fire it? Blow kisses?

If the government's health insurance isn't good enough, you do the same thing you would now... pay a lot of money for individual health insurance.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Romney is a spineless slimer, but there's nothing wrong with what he said there.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Firing people is sometimes necessary. I don't know why someone would take glee from it?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Firing people is sometimes necessary. I don't know why someone would take glee from it?
"I like being able to fire someone."

I think it's an important distinction.

I think most people would agree that it's nice to have the option of firing someone when they're not doing their job well rather than being stuck with them (because they're under contract, because they're the only game in town, etc, etc)

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Nothing wrong with what Romney said but it makes for a good soundbite unfortunately. Should've been more careful with his words IMO.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
What kind of retard would take something out of context and try to make something big out of it just to make themselves look stupid. Oh wait, both sides

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

That's the touchy-feely automatic leftist response. It's also bullshit. I've taken glee from firing drunken, violent and confrontational employees. My wife has been happy to fire sexual predators that had targeted newly hired 18 and 19 year old women. There's lots of reasons for being happy that you just got rid of a truly despicable, problem causing employee.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What happens if you are not allowed to fire the person.?

Now you have to keep them on the dole accomplishing nothing.

This is what Mittens is thinking, You know it's bad when GOP is blasting you 4 being heartless capitalist. Like being thrown out of hot dog eating contest 4 gluttony.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
two wrongs making a right, true since the invention of politics.

Politics has been dirty for a long time. If you do that to someone then I don't have much sympathy when it's done to you.

That being said, it's just unfortunate that enough people don't examine ads for their veracity before making a choice.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Politics has been dirty for a long time. If you do that to someone then I don't have much sympathy when it's done to you.

That being said, it's just unfortunate that enough people don't examine ads for their veracity before making a choice.

I enjoy it when the Republican's eat their own. ;)