Romney facing ethics 'complaint' for hiding $15M in profits from auto bailout

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ics-complaint-uaw-auto-bailout_n_2056941.html

The United Auto Workers (UAW), the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), and other groups plan to file an ethics complaint against Mitt Romney for allegedly failing to disclose his profits from the auto bailout, the UAW has told The Huffington Post.

The groups are calling for an investigation by the U.S. Office of Government Ethics to investigate Romney's alleged violation of the Ethics in Government Act, which requires presidential candidates to disclose their personal finances. The ethics complaint comes on the heels of an Oct. 17 article in The Nation, which alleged that Romney has hidden his personal gains of at least $15.3 million from the auto bailout.

'in & out tax loopholes cause I'm so fucking awesome.' - Mitt Romney Style

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I realize alot of people don't care about news like this.

We all sat by and watched Dick Chaney start a war over lies, bomb the shit out of the country and then send his ' previous ' company in to make billions of dollars rebuilding infrastructure and charging us troops $50 for a 6 pack of pepsi.

So when I post news like this I really don't expect most of you mo mos to have a serious response to it since you all support sending our troops to die to raise profit margins for corporations people like romney, bush, and cheney make billions from.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
As it's far too late in this election for this to really mean much, I'm willing to wait and see how this case fares out....

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
As it's far too late in this election for this to really mean much, I'm willing to wait and see how this case fares out....

Agree, the news has much more comedy potential if Romney gets elected.

Then we'll have some whack job who steals money from the people he governs and believes in some crazy religion some guy cooked up in the 1800s.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
unions bought and paid for by the Obama campaign are filing complaints about Mitt Romney?

stunned and amazed at this development.

the line is that Mitt Romney opposed the bailouts, wanted the auto companies to go bankrupt, and supported shipping the entire industry to China. so if he profited from the bailout, wouldn't it have been profiting from the opposite of what he wanted to happen?

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
So this is an allegation? If the UAW has proof why not release it to the public?

I'm sure if this turns out not to be true the UAW will pay Mitt's legal fees?

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
unions bought and paid for by the Obama campaign are filing complaints about Mitt Romney?

stunned and amazed at this development.

the line is that Mitt Romney opposed the bailouts, wanted the auto companies to go bankrupt, and supported shipping the entire industry to China. so if he profited from the bailout, wouldn't it have been profiting from the opposite of what he wanted to happen?

Wow, you've turned into quite the little partisan hack, emphasis on little.

Stalin definitely didn't want the Germans to invade Poland and come that much closer to his borders, but when they did, he happily profited by taking the other half of Poland for himself.

You catching on at all, hack?

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010

Stalin definitely didn't want the Germans to invade Poland and come that much closer to his borders, but when they did, he happily profited by taking the other half of Poland for himself.

Seems he ended up with more than half of Poland? :cool:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
So this is an allegation? If the UAW has proof why not release it to the public?

I'm sure if this turns out not to be true the UAW will pay Mitt's legal fees?

Kinda like how Reid said Mittens didn't pay taxes, everybody cried foul, then we find out about the CRUTs and nobody gives a shit?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

wat? :confused:

it should take you seconds to find multiple posts by me stating that I'm not voting for Romney, not a Romney supporter, etc, etc... so, take the trolling elsewhere?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around why this is a big deal that Romney profited from the auto bailout that he opposed... it's not as if he was working to get legislation passed and then personally profited from it or something (and lbr, $15 million is pocket change in Romneyland)

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
wat? :confused:

it should take you seconds to find multiple posts by me stating that I'm not voting for Romney, not a Romney supporter, etc, etc... so, take the trolling elsewhere?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around why this is a big deal that Romney profited from the auto bailout that he opposed... it's not as if he was working to get legislation passed and then personally profited from it or something (and lbr, $15 million is pocket change in Romneyland)

In every election you claim to be for one side when challenged, while just about every one of you posts pimps the other.

Look at what you just wrote that I bolded. Yeah, you're not a hack partisan apologist. :rolleyes:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
In every election you claim to be for one side when challenged, while just about every one of you posts pimps the other.

Look at what you just wrote that I bolded. Yeah, you're not a hack partisan apologist. :rolleyes:

so now pointing out that Romney is so wealthy and out of touch that $15 million (ie: more money than I'll ever see in my life) is worthless to him is being a hack partisan apologist?

get real.

in the 3 election cycles I've been posting in P&N, my liberal leanings are pretty consistent. if you're going to call me a Republican hack, find some posts of me supporting Republican policies... I'm pro-gay marriage, anti-military spending, pro-universal healthcare, and pro civil liberties. I couldn't tell you the last Republican I voted for. but I don't think it's being a "hack" to question the point of an anti-Romney complaint put out by pro-Obama groups 3 days before the election.

edit: my post would probably be similar if Koch Industries filed a complaint about Obamacare.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I find the fence riders in that list as interesting as the heavy republican ones like enron, and the oil companies.

I find the fact that the same groups that are filing "suit" heh, are the ones that pay off the Democrats for special favors.
We'll see where it goes, but I seriously doubt it goes far.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Perk you sure are awfully sensitive to think his posts were anywhere near partisan hack status. You on the other hand live in a glass house. Your multiple threads about Romney lies shows you are willing to willfully ignore Obama's wrongdoings. Out of the two of you only you could be thought of as a partisan hack. And before you go on a rampage about how you admonished your massiah too, how about you link us to threads you started against a leftist viewpoint. Don't worry i won't hold my breath.

Last edited:

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Perk: Loki's a good kid and tends to be honest...

Loki: to pretend $15 mil isn't meaningful to someone building a fortune - as many fortunes are built - one step at a time....

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
The point isn't that he profited by 15 million dollars (if this is true.) Congrats to him if he did within the rules of the game - only an idiot would turn down profits like that.

The point is that he failed to disclose that information.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
The point isn't that he profited by 15 million dollars (if this is true.) Congrats to him if he did within the rules of the game - only an idiot would turn down profits like that.

The point is that he failed to disclose that information.

Is this a statement of fact? What I am reading is this is an allegation from the UAW.

I'd be interested to see the proof.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
This thread peaked my curiosity about Romney's behind the scenes dealings so I dug a little deeper and this little gem popped up:

http://www.dailygazette.net/standar...ath=SCH/2012/11/03&ID=Ar00701&Section=Opinion

Nothing like planning ahead huh?

This is what things are going to be like should Romney pull out a win. It's K Street on steroids, boys and girls. This is where the likes of Romney and his ilk live life. And what of the 47% working stiff peasants? Where do they factor in when all Romney knows is the lifestyle of the rich and famous?

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
This thread peaked my curiosity about Romney's behind the scenes dealings so I dug a little deeper and this little gem popped up:

http://www.dailygazette.net/standar...ath=SCH/2012/11/03&ID=Ar00701&Section=Opinion

Nothing like planning ahead huh?

This is what things are going to be like should Romney pull out a win. It's K Street on steroids, boys and girls. This is where the likes of Romney and his ilk live life. And what of the 47% working stiff peasants? Where do they factor in when all Romney knows is the lifestyle of the rich and famous?

Is that an editorial or a news article? I didn't see any sources cited.