Romney endorsed amendment to bar Ryan from presidency

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
(Thanks to Fark, for better news coverage than the MSM)

Romney has chosen Ryan for VP, which means Ryan could take over if Romney is unable to serve.

In 2009, Romney endorsed a constitutional amendment that would have blocked Ryan from holding the office:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ment-would-bar-paul-ryan-from-the-presidency/

I realize no one expects Romney to hold any one position for long, but this adds another rock to his mountain of inconstancy.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Good god, but this is getting ridiculous. How the hell is this inconsistent?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Wow, I honestly didn't see that one coming. Romney really has a mess on his hands.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
"the candidate would have to spend 3 years in business before they could become eligible for president?"

what kind of horsehit, bone-headed idea is that? Do these insular retards think that their wee business is the only thing that matters to this country, that protecting all businesses is the number one responsibility of the president?

what the fuck.

amazing. so many "small government; pro business" conservatives really do want more government in their business, don't they?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The amount of politically damaging video this man leaves in his wake boggles the mind.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Has anyone actually watched the damn video. Its simply Romney telling a story about a guy who wishes there was a constitutional amendment requiring this. All Romney says is that he understands the mechanisms of business. He never proposes, endorses, or does anything about making this a constitutional amendment. This is a complete non-story. I thought people on this forum were capable of critical thinking, but there appears to be an absolute knee jerk reaction anytime a story about the "opponent" comes up.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Has anyone actually watched the damn video. Its simply Romney telling a story about a guy who wishes there was a constitutional amendment requiring this. All Romney says is that he understands the mechanisms of business. He never proposes, endorses, or does anything about making this a constitutional amendment. This is a complete non-story. I thought people on this forum were capable of critical thinking, but there appears to be an absolute knee jerk reaction anytime a story about the "opponent" comes up.

You're right, I took Mr. Klein at his usually dependable word.

Mr. Romney doesn't himself propose that presidential nominees have at least 3 years in business before running, he just relays the anecdote of meeting a business owner who does say that.

Then Mr. Romney says, "We need to have presidents who understand how this economy works day-to-day so small business, middle size business, big business; I do, I want to use that experience to get us to work again!"

Ostensibly his vice president doesn't need to know that sort of thing, as he'll have it covered on his own.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

So he was telling a random story about some guy who owns a business who said some stuff that he may or may not agree with but will write it into a speech and enthusiastically dish it to an applauding audience anyway just for the hell of it?

He didn't email a written bill to congress but to say he doesn't appear to clearly agree with the idea is ridiculous.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
You're right, I took the Mr. Klein at his usually dependable word.

Mr. Romney doesn't himself propose that presidential nominees have at least 3 years in business before running, he just relays the anecdote of meeting a business owner who does say that.

Then Mr. Romney says, "We need to have presidents who understand how this economy works day-to-day so small business, middle size business, big business; I do, I want to use that experience to get us to work again!"

Ostensibly his vice president doesn't need to know that sort of thing, as he'll have it covered on his own.

In reality the VP has to know only one thing. How not to throw the president under the bus.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Government is not a business and shouldn't be run as one. What a stupid requirement.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
So he was telling a random story about some guy who owns a business who said some stuff that he may or may not agree with but will write it into a speech and enthusiastically dish it to an applauding audience anyway just for the hell of it?

He didn't email a written bill to congress but to say he doesn't appear to clearly agree with the idea is ridiculous.

No, he was telling a story to emphasize the importance of business experience for a person running for president. He clearly agrees with the idea that business experience is a benefit for someone running for president. Any claim beyond that is specious.

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
There still is a clear issue with the previous position because its possible Romney could drop dead from a health issue on day one of his Presidency and Ryan could take over. If its really that critical a detail his Vice-President should also have such experience specifically.

Edit: Since Joe Biden spent time running his own law firm and managing properties prior to politics essentially becoming his full time occupation, it would seem he essentially meets this business experience requirement and Romney should not have an issue with the Obama administration in this area if you take this position.

Last edited:

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Government is not a business and shouldn't be run as one. What a stupid requirement.

He never says the government should be run as a business. He said it is important for the president to know how regulations will impact business, and how businesses beyond those targeted by a specific legislation are not the only ones to be impacted by the legislation.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

Hmmm. I agree with you to a degree. Particularly, the critical thinking aspect of your post. Some, but it seems not a majority, don't display much of it.

However, technically, you're right. The headline is a bit of an exaggeration. It's not true that Romney proposed such an amendment. HOWEVER, think about WHY Romney told this story to his audience. Essentially, he's telling the audience that he believes that having business experience is important for Presidential candidates.

Or, perhaps it could better be expressed as "Romney will say whatever it takes to get himself elected, without considering any consequences to what he said down the road."

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
No, he was telling a story to emphasize the importance of business experience for a person running for president. He clearly agrees with the idea that business experience is a benefit for someone running for president. Any claim beyond that is specious.

That's not what the anecdote related and it was very specific. It related that a president should be required to have a certain amount of business experience. Romney does go on to expound but that's the core of what he's saying.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Hmmm. I agree with you to a degree. Particularly, the critical thinking aspect of your post. Some, but it seems not a majority, don't display much of it.

However, technically, you're right. The headline is a bit of an exaggeration. It's not true that Romney proposed such an amendment. HOWEVER, think about WHY Romney told this story to his audience. Essentially, he's telling the audience that he believes that having business experience is important for Presidential candidates.

Or, perhaps it could better be expressed as "Romney will say whatever it takes to get himself elected, without considering any consequences to what he said down the road."

I agree, he told this story because he feels that having business experience is an important criteria for someone running for president. Running for president is like a big, public job interview, and every candidate is going to promote their strengths. I don't see any conflict with him choosing a VP candidate without business experience, as most people will choose a complementary running mate rather than someone that exactly matches the candidates profile.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
He never says the government should be run as a business. He said it is important for the president to know how regulations will impact business, and how businesses beyond those targeted by a specific legislation are not the only ones to be impacted by the legislation.

You are correct. Romney has never said that government should be run as a business AFAIK.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
That's not what the anecdote related and it was very specific. It related that a president should be required to have a certain amount of business experience. Romney does go on to expound but that's the core of what he's saying.

No, that is the core of what someone else said. Romney never said that he thinks a president should be required to have 3 years of business experience, he never said he would support such a constitutional amendment, all that Romney said was that it was important for politicians to understand how government can impact business, and that he had the experience to understand that. Anyone that thinks the reason Romney told the story was to push a constitutional amendment requiring 3 years business experience for presidency is not thinking clearly.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
You know, I sorta like the sentiment though of his story. I'd move that an amendment be passed that anyone being elected to Congress or POTUS needs to possess a BA - or higher - in Econ; I'll be generous and not state what college it must be from.

Maybe that would help some of these politicians at least understand in some miniscule way the ramifications their decisions have on the US long term...

Chuck

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
(Thanks to Fark, for better news coverage than the MSM)

Romney has chosen Ryan for VP, which means Ryan could take over if Romney is unable to serve.

In 2009, Romney endorsed a constitutional amendment that would have blocked Ryan from holding the office:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ment-would-bar-paul-ryan-from-the-presidency/

I realize no one expects Romney to hold any one position for long, but this adds another rock to his mountain of inconstancy.

Where did he endorse it? Sounds like he was just repeating a story that some guy told him and not actually endorsing a constitutional amendment. I find it rather amusing that anyone would take that as him seriously wanting to add that to the constitution.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
No, that is the core of what someone else said. Romney never said that he thinks a president should be required to have 3 years of business experience, he never said he would support such a constitutional amendment, all that Romney said was that it was important for politicians to understand how government can impact business, and that he had the experience to understand that. Anyone that thinks the reason Romney told the story was to push a constitutional amendment requiring 3 years business experience for presidency is not thinking clearly.

I suppose it comes down to would you precisely relate an anecdote you don't entirely agree with while including no caveats or personal clarifications at a nationally televised event where you pause smiling for applause right after you tell it. Ultimately this is just Romney saying anything in front of a crowd as long as he thinks they'll clap after hearing it. I think he doesn't have a single truly firm position so I suppose I can grant him the benefit of the doubt on this one that he really didn't mean that.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
come on, you all are too hard on Ayn Ryan .. I mean Paul Ryan.
For his summer job in college, he once drove the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile. How much MORE experience does he need to run for President ... I mean Vice President than his college experience peddling baloney?

Last edited: