Romney commited suicide (politically)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I am not saying gut the Military, but at some point you have to think maybe we have too much going on.

54,000 troops in Germany
37,000 in Japan
28,500 in South Korea
11,000 in Italy

And unless we are shipping all the supplies they need to them from the US, we are pumping a LOT of money into foreign economies that could be better spent here.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I am not saying gut the Military, but at some point you have to think maybe we have too much going on.

54,000 troops in Germany
37,000 in Japan
28,500 in South Korea
11,000 in Italy

And unless we are shipping all the supplies they need to them from the US, we are pumping a LOT of money into foreign economies that could be better spent here.

Even if we are shipping goods from here, that still costs money. I hope we can all agree that we dont need to be in any of the countries that we are in. And that we need to get our ass in iran and take their nukes.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Iraq is hardly mision accomplished. As Iraq is hardly stable, and could descend into civil war at any moment. As Iraq still lacks a functioning government or any unifying principles.

As for Afghanistan, it nearly imposible for the US to win, as we use the same failed strategy and pretend it will lead to victory by the deadline of 2014.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004

54,000 troops in Germany
37,000 in Japan
28,500 in South Korea
11,000 in Italy

Japan and South Korea are of strategic importance to have strongholds (Taiwan and North Korea). Germany serves as an important staging area into the middle east. I think Italy is mostly for the Air power they can project into the Mediterranean; it's probably a staging area too, but I'm not really sure. They all have other importance besides the obvious above mentioned. Not saying our military is the right size, but simply pointing out that we have bases in peaceful countries isn't an obvious point of that.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Quite a piece of revisionist history Doc Savage Fan. Even before Obama was elected, GWB was forced to agree to the Iraqi withdrawal plan, As the democratically elected Maliki gave GWB a demand. Either agree to a gradual withdrawal plan, or the Iraqi govrnment would demand that the USA get out of Iraq on or before 12/31/2008 with total UN backing.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Iraq is hardly mision accomplished. As Iraq is hardly stable, and could descend into civil war at any moment. As Iraq still lacks a functioning government or any unifying principles.

As for Afghanistan, it nearly imposible for the US to win, as we use the same failed strategy and pretend it will lead to victory by the deadline of 2014.

Remember the American civil war? Good things came of that (in the end), emancipation proclamation and the such. Why is their problems our buisness? Maybe a revoution is what they need to get back on track, we did that from england. There shouldnt even be a mission in iraq, there never needed to be one, this was the mission:
O.peration
I.raqi
L.iberation

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

54,000 troops in Germany
37,000 in Japan
28,500 in South Korea
11,000 in Italy

And why do you not believe that is what Obama is suggesting you do. But that would take too much thought. I can just easily say. Why are you trying to gut the military?

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Someone tell me how long it took V Corps to deploy from Germany compared to the 101st or other CONUS units to Iraq.

Then someone let me know what the first units in Afghanistan were.

Also the primary methods for deploying both light and heavy units.

Having bases all over the world for "quick" deployment is bullshit, even on the logistical argument its hard to acknowledge.

The entire purpose is to project power all across the globe and having that sphere of influence.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Japan and South Korea are of strategic importance to have strongholds (Taiwan and North Korea). Germany serves as an important staging area into the middle east. I think Italy is mostly for the Air power they can project into the Mediterranean; it's probably a staging area too, but I'm not really sure. They all have other importance besides the obvious above mentioned. Not saying our military is the right size, but simply pointing out that we have bases in peaceful countries isn't an obvious point of that.

Do we really need almost 30K US Troops to keep North Korea from invading the South? South Korea has 3,850,000 troops (650,000 active force and 3,200,000 regular reserve). The same with us having 37,000 US Soldiers in Japan. Japan has 240,000 troops.

In any given engagement, our first move is typically air strikes which we can carry out anywhere in the world in a matter of hours. Our boots on the ground operations typically happen much later and as we have shown before we can have 100K Troops and supplies anywhere in the world in about a week.

I just don't see the need for all this when we can't even pay our own bills.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
As I watch that I'm inclined to ask is it possible for:

1) Romney not to have that sh*ty little grin on his face at all times
2) Not come across as an asshole when he talks?

These are serious questions. I think the answer to both is no, though. I really hate the way Obama dumbs down his speech to high-school drop out level when talking to certain crowds, but Romney's arrogance is worse.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Do we really need almost 30K US Troops to keep North Korea from invading the South? South Korea has 3,850,000 troops (650,000 active force and 3,200,000 regular reserve). The same with us having 37,000 US Soldiers in Japan. Japan has 240,000 troops.

In any given engagement, our first move is typically air strikes which we can carry out anywhere in the world in a matter of hours. Our boots on the ground operations typically happen much later and as we have shown before we can have 100K Troops and supplies anywhere in the world in about a week.

I just don't see the need for all this when we can't even pay our own bills.
They are there as fuses only. If NK attacks it will hit US troops, thus forcing the US to respond.