Romney commited suicide (politically)

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
So this morning I was watching the news, as I frequently do, and an interview between foxs' Bret Baier and Mitt Romney came on, it was live. During the interview Mitt was asked about how he thinks his lack of mentioning the troops and the Afghanistan war during his RNC speech would affect him negativley and why he didnt mention them. His response was essentially that he didnt want to have a laundry list of things to speak about, and he wanted to only speak about things that mattered. Im wondering what you guys think of this and how long will it take the dems to twist this like the repubs twisted the "You didnt build that" line.

Im currently looking for a video but it happened earlier today on fox news, bret baier (probobly around 11:00 AM). It was live so it might take time for it to get uploaded to the site.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/07/transcript-fox-news-channel-interview-with-mitt-romney/ - Video

6:00 is the question at hand, but the entire interview is worth watching, its pretty good.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What is there to discuss on Afghanistan that Mitt would do different? In a campaign you want to differentiate yourself from the other candidate. That means not talking about subjects you are in agreement on.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
What is there to discuss on Afghanistan that Mitt would do different? In a campaign you want to differentiate yourself from the other candidate. That means not talking about subjects you are in agreement on.

This. It is currently agreed upon to remove the US soldiers out of Afghanistan by the end of 2014.

The only difference between Obama and Romney on this is how it is handled.

Romney would most likely keep the full force there till deadline.
Obama would be likely to remove a portion of troops in 2013, and then finish removing them in 2014.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
BAIER: A few more things, Governor. To hear several speakers in Charlotte - and I don't think this is jump (?) - they were essentially saying you don't care about the U.S. military because you didn't mention U.S. troops and the war in Afghanistan in your nomination acceptance speech. We understand you went to the American Legion the day before and you talked about the service and sacrifice of the military there. Do you regret opening up this line of attack, now a recurring attack, by leaving out that issue in the speech?
ROMNEY: I only regret you repeating it day in and day out. (LAUGHS)
BAIER: Well I mean, what just came from Charlotte -
ROMNEY: Because when you give a speech, you don't give a laundry list. You talk about the things that uh you think are important. And I described in my speech my commitment to a strong military unlike the President's decision to cut our military. And I didn't use the word troops, I used the world military. I think they refer to the same thing. And of course going to the American Legion the day before during the middle of our convention made a much bigger statement to our military and our troops than the President who did not go meet with the American Legion. I also spoke to the VFW the week before, so I think our American military understands that I am fully supportive of their effort. And unlike the President who we understand from Bob Woodward's book, at least from the excerpts, the President was and the White House part of the author of this sequestration idea that would slash our military. I oppose that idea, think it is absolutely wrong to cut our military as the President is doing.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...nel-interview-with-mitt-romney/#ixzz25o7U2YwR

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011

Without a discussion how do you know what ROmney would do?

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Was the title serious? He is a Republican and mentioned Iran what else was there to say?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Poor choice of words but hardly a campaign killer. He is right though, he did mention his commitment to a strong military where Obama wishes to slash it.

I am actually for cutting our Military some BTW. We don't need 54,000 troops in Germany, 37,000 in Japan, 11,000 in Italy.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Poor choice of words but hardly a campaign killer. He is right though, he did mention his commitment to a strong military where Obama wishes to slash it.

I am actually for cutting our Military some BTW
. We don't need 54,000 troops in Germany, 37,000 in Japan, 11,000 in Italy.

Your voting choice is clear, then! ;) :p

But, yeah, tempest in a teapot, just a poor choice of words.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011

I am actually for cutting our Military some BTW. We don't need 54,000 troops in Germany, 37,000 in Japan, 11,000 in Italy.

Im with you on cutting our military, though where did you get those numbers? We shouldn't be in any of those places. I really think that this will get turned into somthing nasty by the dems, if I were them I would be on the prowl for somthing to rebut the "you didnt build that" line with.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This. It is currently agreed upon to remove the US soldiers out of Afghanistan by the end of 2014.

The only difference between Obama and Romney on this is how it is handled.

Romney would most likely keep the full force there till deadline.
Obama would be likely to remove a portion of troops in 2013, and then finish removing them in 2014.
I doubt Romney would do anything different from President Obama on Afghanistan. For one, President Obama has done an excellent job on Afghanistan. For another, the troop draw-downs will be driven by the Afghanis, not by the Allies. No one wants his country occupied by foreigners any longer than necessary.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I doubt Romney would do anything different from President Obama on Afghanistan. For one, President Obama has done an excellent job on Afghanistan. For another, the troop draw-downs will be driven by the Afghanis, not by the Allies. No one wants his country occupied by foreigners any longer than necessary.

HAHAHA, no. Obama has more than doubled troops in Afghanistan. He has done an excellent job in iraq.

afghanistan_withdrawal.png

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/.../american-forces-in-afghanistan-and-iraq.html

Both sources say the same thing, nearly a 100% increase in troops since bush left.

Last edited:

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

You want to cut the military? So, you are not in favor of a strong military?

Do you see how your silly talking point makes any constructive militray cuts impossible to do?

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
WTF are you talking about? Bush's surge tactic worked in Iraq. Obama's surge tactic failed in Afghanistan.

I was referring to his removal of troops in iraq, thats why I quoted someone talking about removal. We legally cant be in iraq anyway so I dont give a shit about what bush did or didnt do. He was wrong, even if we had a legal right to be in these countries its still morally and civilly wrong. We need to get out and let these people babysit themselves.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
No, he did not. Look at this quote in context.

(in reference to speaking about troops)

ROMNEY: Because when you give a speech, you don't give a laundry list. You talk about the things that uh you think are important.

He talks about things he thinks are important, he didnt talk about our trops, therefore he doesnt think it was important enough to even mention in passing. I think I understand what he might have meant, but what he said is different (hopefully).

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Your voting choice is clear, then! ;) :p

But, yeah, tempest in a teapot, just a poor choice of words.

NOOOO !!!! - I agree with Obama on Military cuts and a few other isues, it's the other 80,000 issues that makes me vote conservative.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
While his phrasing is awful, his point was on message.

The reality is that if there isn't already an attack ad edited together using this quote out of context, I'd be shocked.

Citizens United GO!

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Im with you on cutting our military, though where did you get those numbers? We shouldn't be in any of those places. I really think that this will get turned into somthing nasty by the dems, if I were them I would be on the prowl for somthing to rebut the "you didnt build that" line with.

They are December 2011 numbers but they should still be close. I rounded up to benefit my cause :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_deployments

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
(in reference to speaking about troops)

ROMNEY: Because when you give a speech, you don't give a laundry list. You talk about the things that uh you think are important.

He talks about things he thinks are important, he didnt talk about our trops, therefore he doesnt think it was important enough to even mention in passing. I think I understand what he might have meant, but what he said is different (hopefully).

Read perknose's post. He didn't feel the need to do what Obama does which is give a list of things he'll (never) do. He chose his words poorly, but you're getting the wrong meaning I think.

Nov 30, 2006
I was referring to his removal of troops in iraq, thats why I quoted someone talking about removal. We legally cant be in iraq anyway so I dont give a shit about what bush did or didnt do. He was wrong, even if we had a legal right to be in these countries its still morally and civilly wrong. We need to get out and let these people babysit themselves.
Agree...American soldiers die everyday in Afghanistan for no reason. Need to get out ASAP.

Obama took a hard line against Bush's handling of the Iraq War by denying our troops funding and demanding accelerated withdrawal. But in the end...he did the same thing Bush planned to do on the same timetable. He should get absolutely no credit for removing troops in Iraq...especially in light of this blatant hypocrisy.