Romney Campaign Expecting a Loss in the Presidential Debates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Not sure how anyone can take a memo addressed to "Interested parties" and claim it's a leak, but to quote the article:

Certainly it's about lowering expectations - a long time ploy of both parties - but it's also preemptively pointing out that if Obama spends the debate attacking Romney as expected, it's because he has to avoid his own record.

You're not really saying anything different than what anyone else is saying. The bottom line is, however you want to characterize it, this memo is aimed at the general public, not campaign insiders. It serves no purpose if directed at campaign insiders.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Certainly it's about lowering expectations - a long time ploy of both parties - but it's also preemptively pointing out that if Obama spends the debate attacking Romney as expected, it's because he has to avoid his own record.

And good thing they're doing that, too -- a very novel approach for them. I mean, it's not like they've responded to every single thing Obama has said over the last six months as "avoiding his own record".

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You're not really saying anything different than what anyone else is saying. The bottom line is, however you want to characterize it, this memo is aimed at the general public, not campaign insiders. It serves no purpose if directed at campaign insiders.
Sure it does. It gets them all saying the same thing on the talking head shows.

PandaBear

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
Romney already lost when he screwed up so badly early on, and gave Obama the ammunition to attack. Rebate is not a single day event, it is not a single contest but the grade of a final exam of a class you have taken, your grade is too bad to recover if you never do your homework and skip the midterm.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
So they (republicans) have no new ideas to put out there?
And expect to do badly in the debates?
But still expect to win?
What are they planning to do, give away free monkeys on Election Day?
Vote for Mitt. Get a monkey.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
"In a matter of days, Governor Romney and President Obama will meet on the presidential debate stage. President Obama's Teleprompter is a universally-acclaimed public speaker and has substantial debate experience under his belt. However, the record he's compiled over the last four years – higher unemployment, lower incomes, rising energy costs, and a national debt spiraling out of control – means this will be a close election right up to November 6th."

Fixed.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Riight. Because a telepromter makes you an instant linguistical genius.

We've all seen people with the slightly distracted look on their faces, heads cocked to the side and eyes tracking back and forth at 100 miles an hour.

Obama isn't as good as Clinton, but he's good.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Riight. Because a telepromter makes you an instant linguistical genius.

We've all seen people with the slightly distracted look on their faces, heads cocked to the side and eyes tracking back and forth at 100 miles an hour.

Obama isn't as good as Clinton, but he's good.

That's right. When facts aren't on your side, complain about the teleprompter.

Nov 29, 2006
Are you saying that the candidates know the questions in advance, or in the alternative, that they're rote memorizing their answers to every possible question? I don't think so. Sarah Palin is the only debater in recent memory to have done that. To a point, I think you're correct. The candidates certainly practice in advance and they know their stances on the major issues, but I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say they aren't debates.

I think the parties give whoever is hosting the debates the questions to ask them. That is my take on it anyways :p

You either ask these questions or we wont come to the debate kind of thing. lol

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I think the parties give whoever is hosting the debates the questions to ask them. That is my take on it anyways :p

You either ask these questions or we wont come to the debate kind of thing. lol

Of course the fun thing to do would be to say ok, and then ask your own questions anyway.

What are they going to do, say on national tv, "Sorry, that question is not on the approved list of questions"? :D

Feb 10, 2000
Haven't read the whole thread, so don't know if this was posted

http://www.latimes.com/news/politic...-debate-expectations-20120930,0,3583579.story

Looks like Obama is employing the same tactic as Romney.

Yeah, this is standard stuff - trying to win based on voters' lowered expectations. For my money it's likely that both Romney and Obama will perform fairly well, with Obama being at least slightly better (mostly because Romney's flip flops make it so easy to catch him with gotchas). That will be enough to make Obama the prohibitive favorite on election night.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, this is standard stuff - trying to win based on voters' lowered expectations. For my money it's likely that both Romney and Obama will perform fairly well, with Obama being at least slightly better (mostly because Romney's flip flops make it so easy to catch him with gotchas). That will be enough to make Obama the prohibitive favorite on election night.

RoseTintedGlasses.jpg

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
If you believe Romney will win, feel free to take me up on my bet in this thread - http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2267571

Nice try. First of all I don't believe there is a winner or a loser in a debate. That's just a lame label the media loves to use for ratings sake. Something to compete with the NFL, I guess.

Second, I love how you somehow say both candidates are likely to do fine but then reach the conclusion that Obama does better because of Romney's flip flops. Those aside, all Romney has to do is bring up Obama's record and its a stalemate.

I don't delude myself. The debates will be the dog and pony show they are meant to be and neither candidate is going to do "well". They are going to come out looking and smelling like shit but the media will do its best to make roses out of the whole thing. They have an invested interest in getting people to give a shit about the whole thing.

So I guess I was right about you. Lapdog, check. Rose tinted glasses, check.

Feb 10, 2000
Nice try. First of all I don't believe there is a winner or a loser in a debate. That's just a lame label the media loves to use for ratings sake. Something to compete with the NFL, I guess.

Second, I love how you somehow say both candidates are likely to do fine but then reach the conclusion that Obama does better because of Romney's flip flops. Those aside, all Romney has to do is bring up Obama's record and its a stalemate.

I don't delude myself. The debates will be the dog and pony show they are meant to be and neither candidate is going to do "well". They are going to come out looking and smelling like shit but the media will do its best to make roses out of the whole thing. They have an invested interest in getting people to give a shit about the whole thing.

So I guess I was right about you. Lapdog, check. Rose tinted glasses, check.

You're missing the point: Romney is losing this election as it stands, and the debates are his lone opportunity to claw back some traction. I don't believe he will be able to do so, because the President is a strong debater and simply has too much to work with to discredit Romney.

You can adopt the persona of asshole nihilist all day long, but if that is really your attitude toward this process, why are you even participating in this forum? It's transparent that you are simply frustrated that the President is overwhelmingly likely to be re-elected, and thus choosing to act as though you're above the whole thing. It's more funny than anything.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I don't believe he will be able to do so, because the President is a strong debater and simply has too much to work with to discredit Romney.

You are basing this opinion on what exactly? For that matter, Romney isn't a strong debated or doesn't have enough in the last four years to work with?

It's transparent that you are simply frustrated that the President is overwhelmingly likely to be re-elected, and thus choosing to act as though you're above the whole thing. It's more funny than anything.

LOL. You made a funny. I have said on more than one occasion that I am voting for neither candidate so your posts does nothing more than reinforce my previously posted image.

Feb 10, 2000
You are basing this opinion on what exactly? For that matter, Romney isn't a strong debated or doesn't have enough in the last four years to work with?

LOL. You made a funny. I have said on more than one occasion that I am voting for neither candidate so your posts does nothing more than reinforce my previously posted image.

I think Romney is a fine debater, but he isn't better than the President, and he would need to hammer him to have a chance in this election. That is theoretically possible but I don't see it because this is an arena in which the President is very strong. I am not saying the President will definitely "win" the debates and be re-elected - I just can't imagine him losing in such a fashion as to revive Romney's moribund campaign.

I don't know if you online persona is something put-on or if it reflects your day-to-day reality. I would hope for your sake it's the former, because being so persistently obnoxious is not the way to go through life. You just come off like a creep.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I think Romney is a fine debater, but he isn't better than the President, and he would need to hammer him to have a chance in this election. That is theoretically possible but I don't see it because this is an arena in which the President is very strong. I am not saying the President will definitely "win" the debates and be re-elected - I just can't imagine him losing in such a fashion as to revive Romney's moribund campaign.

I don't know if you online persona is something put-on or if it reflects your day-to-day reality. I would hope for your sake it's the former, because being so persistently obnoxious is not the way to go through life. You just come off like a creep.

The moment you realize you are wearing tinted glasses...

Nevermind. It's hopeless. You keep bringing up your opinion as if its founded on something real. At the same time you keep going after me and trying to label me something I'm not for simply pointing out you can't recognize this little tidbit.

But hey, you are right.

Feb 10, 2000
The moment you realize you are wearing tinted glasses...

Nevermind. It's hopeless. You keep bringing up your opinion as if its founded on something real. At the same time you keep going after me and trying to label me something I'm not for simply pointing out you can't recognize this little tidbit.

But hey, you are right.

In what sense am I wearing "tinted glasses," exactly? Are you denying that the President is, at this point, highly likely to win? Are you saying the debates will change that? In what sense is my opinion not grounded in reality? I suggest you explain yourself rather than just being insulting. Grow up and post some content beyond just sniping.

Feb 10, 2000
So it would appear you're just conceding you have nothing of merit to say. If you have some basis for claiming I am wearing "tinted glasses" by pointing out the plain reality that the President is highly likely to win this election, explain why. If you think I am wrong in making that assertion, explain why. Otherwise I guess you can continue acting like a child, with the knowledge that you'll be seen as such.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
So it would appear you're just conceding you have nothing of merit to say. If you have some basis for claiming I am wearing "tinted glasses" by pointing out the plain reality that the President is highly likely to win this election, explain why. If you think I am wrong in making that assertion, explain why. Otherwise I guess you can continue acting like a child, with the knowledge that you'll be seen as such.

:rolleyes:

and

crying+child.jpg