Romney: Binders full of women

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I prefer mine deep fried. Kentucky Fried Children.
:D

162692605259253901_WUrcqjn1_b.jpg

/thread

I heard the Secret Service vowed to follow Clinton all the way on this one! :sneaky:

Humor - it makes even politics bearable.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
lol at the faux outrage. seriously people are really grasping at straws to make mitt look bad, grasping so hard in fact it's making them look bad. If Romney gets any sort of push til Nov it'll be idiots trying way to hard to make him look worse than he is.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
What offense, that his staff collected information on eligible women to fill positions?

Yes... hiring women is a hell of an offense, how dare he! Can totally see where their outrage is coming from.

http://gawker.com/5952447/those-bin...pile-them-or-pay-particular-attention-to-them

But not so fast says David Bernstein of the Phoenix to Mitt Romney: You didn't build that.
Memes and animated GIFs aside, it seems the "binders full of women" line was one of the few "truth massaging" moments that Romney wasn't called on by either Obama or moderator Candy Crowley.

According to Bernstein, there was in fact a "binder full of women," but it wasn't commissioned or compiled by Romney or his aides — it was put together by a collective of Massachusetts women's organizations called MassGAP before the 2002 election.
When Romney lies about where the binders came from... then yes he can be taken to task. Don't get butthurt over people calling him out for that.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
http://gawker.com/5952447/those-bin...pile-them-or-pay-particular-attention-to-them

When Romney lies about where the binders came from... then yes he can be taken to task. Don't get butthurt over people calling him out for that.

Except, according to this link posted above: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-responds-to-mitt-romney-on-women-appointees/

the binders weren't handed over on election day - they didn't even start to collect names of women that might be interested until after the election. Bernstein's blog, which Gawker depends on for it's article, is incorrect.

Once again - Bernstein makes the unsubstantiated definition that MassGAP making the binders is the exact opposite of Romney's team requesting information on women that might be interested.

The sentences before the "binders of women" section is often left out:
And important topic, and one which I learned a great deal about, particularly as I was serving as governor of my state, because I had the chance to pull together a cabinet and all the applicants seemed to be men.

How is it Romney's fault that "all the applicants seemed to be men"?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
C'mon now don't bullshit us.

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-challenged-got-binder-184807740.html

That version is under fire by a coalition of women's groups known as MassGAP, which is affiliated with the Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus. The group compiled the names of female applicants before Romney came to office and offered them to both Romney and his Democratic opponent Shannon O'Brien.

"It didn't really have anything to do with Romney asking women to give him names,"
said Carolyn Jones, who was secretary of the Massachusetts Womens' Political Caucus during the time that Romney was governor.

MassGAP, which is non--partisan, issued a statement saying that while the Romney administration started with women comprising 42 percent of newly appointed positions, by 2006, that number had dropped to 25 percent.

The "binders" with qualified female candidates were ready before Governor Romney asked for them.

Last edited:

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
..and? That still makes nothing he said false, does it?

Good try at a lying post...

Why don't you consider this....

Governor Romney brought up this binders full of women crap as a way to evade a question about equal pay...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/16/transcript-second-presidential-debate/
CROWLEY: Governor Romney, pay equity for women?
ROMNEY: Thank you. And important topic, and one which I learned a great deal about, particularly as I was serving as governor of my state, because I had the chance to pull together a cabinet and all the applicants seemed to be men.
And I -- and I went to my staff, and I said, "How come all the people for these jobs are -- are all men." They said, "Well, these are the people that have the qualifications." And I said, "Well, gosh, can't we -- can't we find some -- some women that are also qualified?"
ROMNEY: And -- and so we -- we took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet.
I went to a number of women's groups and said, "Can you help us find folks," and they brought us whole binders full of women.

whereas President Obama addressed the question and brought up the Lilly Ledbetter act in his answer

And it's Katherine Fenton, who has a question for you.
QUESTION: In what new ways to you intend to rectify the inequalities in the workplace, specifically regarding females making only 72 percent of what their male counterparts earn?
OBAMA: Well, Katherine, that's a great question. And, you know, I was raised by a single mom who had to put herself through school while looking after two kids. And she worked hard every day and made a lot of sacrifices to make sure we got everything we needed. My grandmother, she started off as a secretary in a bank. She never got a college education, even though she was smart as a whip. And she worked her way up to become a vice president of a local bank, but she hit the glass ceiling. She trained people who would end up becoming her bosses during the course of her career.
She didn't complain. That's not what you did in that generation. And this is one of the reasons why one of the first -- the first bill I signed was something called the Lily Ledbetter bill.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Durable-...ywords=binders

7,297 of 7,475 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars One Missing Bit of Information You Might Want To Know October 18, 2012
By PenName220
Color Name:White
For any of you who might be considering, like me, purchasing this binder based on the reviews, let me just point out one glaring omission: While this is a lovely, multi-purpose binder, IT DOES NOT COME WITH WOMEN. Presumably one is expected to find women on one's own, or contact women's groups who are supposedly eager to help stock your empty binder with women.

For a first time buyer like myself, I have to say I would rather have waited until I had accumulated a few women before investing in a binder. Just a little warning for prospective buyers.

910 of 931 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great Binder for those who Don't Know Any Women October 18, 2012
By Casselberrian
Color Name:White
Like most American CEO's, Mitt didn't know any women personally, however, he was saved by this binder. His staff filled it full of women and presented it to him so that he could make his selection. He also has a binder full of Hispanic's, and even one for Blacks. The Blacks Binder, however, doesn't contain women at this time. Soon, Binders Full of Asians will be released. At this time, there is no plan for any Binders Full of Middle Easterners or Gays to be released.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
So why does Obama pay his female workers 18% less than his male workers?

Even a Fox News article I saw on this pointed out that this isn't 18% for the same job but that there are more men in the Obama White House that are at the top tier positions. The discussion is women who get paid less for the same work, not women who happen to work at the same place that are in positions that pay less. Nice try though. Welch on any new bets lately?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I see you are happy women get paid less by the Obama administration...does not surprise me. Beat your significant other lately?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Nonstick...ef=pd_sbs_op_1

244 of 252 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Solution October 16, 2012
By M. Witter
Color Name:Black
I tend to deal with a fair amount of women in both my personal and professional life and I struggle with keeping them secured within the standard 1" binders. I bought this on a whim in the hopes that I could possibly go from roughly 15 women per 1" binder to possibly 20. These binders are indeed heavy-duty, and with the 2-inch binder I can easily fit 35 women for each binder. The clear pocket allows me to make cover pages and easily organize by hair color, body type, culinary skills, and general moodiness. I did not give this 5 stars because I did notice that the inner pocket tends to stretch after a fair amount of use, particularly with the larger framed female group. Overall, I would recommend this for anyone seeking a more durable and permanent solution for the organization, selection, and storage of women into binders.
143 of 148 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars This binder does the job! October 17, 2012
By Pamela
Color Name:Black
I bought this to help me organize my inventory of women. I had been using the Avery 1" binders and found them too small to accommodate the fairly large number of women I maintain.

PROS:
-Tough! Some of my women are really feisty. This binder has survived some of the most ornery gals. The rings inside are as good as new!
-Lots of space. Some of my women need to be kept separated, especially when it's their "time of month." I can tuck `em away with dividers and, even if it's a bit overfull, it can still handle the extra stress.
-Organization is great. There are 4 separate pockets to store my loose women.

CONS:
-My main issue is that the pockets are so wide that my women will occasionally slide to one side during a rough ride, but it's purely an aesthetic annoyance.
Some more creative reviews of binders.

And imo these reviewers are very keyed into how Governor Romney views women in general. Unless they happen to be of a certain class. Must stick in the craw of his supporters that this is the case... unless they just in general share his view.

^ lol troll.

Nope not quite...

Beat your significant other lately?

You're doing it wrong though should've tried.

Were you able to quit beating up your mother yet?

Well Cybersage? were you?

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Except, according to this link posted above: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-responds-to-mitt-romney-on-women-appointees/

the binders weren't handed over on election day - they didn't even start to collect names of women that might be interested until after the election. Bernstein's blog, which Gawker depends on for it's article, is incorrect.

Once again - Bernstein makes the unsubstantiated definition that MassGAP making the binders is the exact opposite of Romney's team requesting information on women that might be interested.

The sentences before the "binders of women" section is often left out:

How is it Romney's fault that "all the applicants seemed to be men"?

How is it Romney can be in business all that time and not know any women?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
How is it Romney can be in business all that time and not know any women?

Just because he knows women does not mean that the women he knows would be interested in working in his administration.

If only someone would compile a list of qualified candidates...

Maybe they could even put those women is some kind of binder?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Just because he knows women does not mean that the women he knows would be interested in working in his administration.

I wonder why that could be... perhaps his difficult to pin down position of women's rights concerning their bodies?
Maybe it was his choice not to answer directly the answer the question on equal pay led to the "binders full of women" meme.

http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Heavy-Du...DateDescending
38 of 40 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Binder? I love her!, October 18, 2012
By
Lawdy Lou - See all my reviews

This review is from: Avery Heavy-Duty View Binder with 1.5 Inch One Touch EZD Ring, Black, 1 Binder (79695) (Office Product)
Heavy Duty? It needs to be to contain the large number of unwed mothers raising violent heathens. I tell you what, they almost need their own binder. But I digress, this binder has been a godsend. I've utilized the Avery tabs and have a section for UNWED MOMS, HOT MORMON MOMMAS (mostly wholesome, just a glimpse of temple garment,) HARD WORKING (single, no kids, lesbian,)and FAMILY MOMS (married, lots of children, but subservient and loyal.)

27 of 30 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Threatened, October 18, 2012
By
underqualified - See all my reviews

This review is from: Avery Heavy-Duty View Binder with 1.5 Inch One Touch EZD Ring, Black, 1 Binder (79695) (Office Product)
Avery Heavy-Duty View Binder with 1.5 Inch One Touch EZD Ring, Black, 1 Binder (79695)

I am returning this binder immediately. It was packed full of women who deserve equal pay as me. Mitt Romney had assured me this wouldn't happen. And he has gone back on his word. Turns out all of these women aren't recyclable either.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

If only someone would compile a list of qualified candidates...

Maybe they could even put those women is some kind of binder?

Remember the debate? He did not say no women were interested in the cabinet he said all the candidates they found were men.

And then Mitt admitted, God forbid, he committed some affirmative action and found some. Remember it was for the sake of diversifying his cabinet. Whoda thunk!!

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Remember the debate? He did not say no women were interested in the cabinet he said all the candidates they found were men.

So all of the interested candidates were men. How is this different than what I said?

And then Mitt admitted, God forbid, he committed some affirmative action and found some. Remember it was for the sake of diversifying his cabinet. Whoda thunk!!

And then the left had a fit that he dared hire women. Whoda thunk it.